Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Put garden pot with some red or white Petunias in it and place it near the Hummingbird feeder's. It seems to attract them a little. We have a ton on our deck every year. All Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds. They aren't up here in Northern Wisconsin yet, but in a week or two we will be loaded. The previous posts are good. Dissolve some sugar in hot water and change it after a week. Don't need coloring. I hear that it's toxic to Hummingbirds. Hey, hatari, Maybe all the Humingbirds migrating through are all Yankee's and the Confederate Hummingbirds are coming later. lol

Better to be over the hill than under it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TBREW401
We had the first 2 hummers of the year, at our feeder yesterday.
Sugar water in a -red feeder-

I've heard that several times but my birds must not have gotten that memo because I have a black feeder that they're all over.
Sugar water's definitely the way to go....the sweeter the better.
I have another bumper crop of the little free loaders this year....running four feeders and at least two need refilling every day.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yes, 2-1 ratio, using cane sugar only and no coloring. Never use the store-bought nectar mix. Never use honey.

I hang my feeders under my eaves so they are out of direct sun. The birds have also learned that it's a dry place to perch and eat during a storm.

If I see evidence of mold or other funk, I clean the feeder bottles with a mild bleach solution, followed by an alcohol rinse, and then several hot water rinses.

Edit to add: Hatari, if I sit quietly on my deck, I've had them investigate a small red emblem/patch on my shirt front. It's so cool to have one hover two inches from me until he decides I'm no flower!

Same thing happened to me one afternoon while my wife and I were sitting on a yard swing chatting. At the time I was wearing a mostly solid red baseball cap that had a little yellowish gold emblem on the center-front. All of a sudden wife bugs her eyes and starts pointing at my head and laughing. A male hummingbird was barely an inch or two away zeroed in on the little emblem.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I found a hummer trapped in a big black and yellow garden spider's web once. Thought it was a big moth at first but took a closer look and realized it wasn't a moth.

Pulled it out and removed all the spider web from it I could, looked like it was already too late as it offered on resistance, head was limp and body a bit cold.

Figuring there was nothing to loose I stuck it's beak into the nectar feeder hole thinking maybe it wasn't all of the way dead yet but soon would be of exhaustion from struggling trying to break free of the web and not being able feed. After a few tries it actually started to take a little nectar.

A few more shots of go juice and it was back 99%.. I opened my hand and it sat there for a minute or so then flew off like nothing ever happened.

I've read since that hummingbirds use spider web material in building their nest.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
That ain't water, that's syrup.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I feed them all year long. I use the 2:1 recipe also. I have 4 feeders out now, in a month I might add one or two. When they're thick I can cover the perches with my hands and they'll land on my hands to feed.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had my feeder out for a week, and no visitors yet,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

I've read since that hummingbirds use spider web material in building their nest.

Living in the timber there's no shortage of spiders so that might explain why I have so many Hummers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hummies do use spider webs for some of their next material, mostly as a soft lining. But they build the bulk of the nest from small twigs, moss, and other materials. I put out a red mesh bag with some dryer lint and short pieces of thread/string, and they pick the fibers out through the mesh.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My Norwegian Elkhounds are shedding. They should have enough nesting material to make a Park Avenue skyscraper.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Hummies do use spider webs for some of their next material, mostly as a soft lining. But they build the bulk of the nest from small twigs, moss, and other materials. I put out a red mesh bag with some dryer lint and short pieces of thread/string, and they pick the fibers out through the mesh.

I see a lot of lichen nest building material, and as you mentioned spider web lining.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cool. I never knew what their nests looked like.

Here is a concerned mama trying to lead me away from her nest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a killdeer, not a hummingbird, of course.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It seems like the closer you are to nesting cover the more birds you get. Our house and feeder is out in the open and we generally only get about a half dozen birds. The neighbor up the street has a line of willows next to a ditch and they'll have a dozen or more birds going at once.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hatari, we are in Florida.
The red throted hummers are native.
We see some migrating birds occasionally.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hatari,
We are in Florida.
The red throted hummers are native.
We see some migrating birds occasionally.

We planted some Fire bush plants to attract the birds, and we keep a feeder out always

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mine might be stale food. I'll change it tonight and see who flys in for dinner.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having the right flowers around helps too. Honeysuckle, clematis, zinnias, trumpet vine, and a new one for me, cypress vine. That last one really pulls them in.

I have an oriole feeder too, but all I get are grey catbirds. They love oranges cut in half and any kind of jelly. Sometimes I sit on the porch and toss blueberries to them. Little beggars are almost as bad as pigeons. Robins will go after grapes like that, but stay a bit farther away than the catbirds.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/08/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I've watched them feeding heavy from these wildflowers out in the woods.

https://uswildflowers.com/detail.php?SName=Campsis%20radicans

[Linked Image]

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I saw one tonight fly to my feeder and turn up his nose. I emptied my feeder and refilled with fresh. We'll see tomorrow.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.