Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer
Though I prefer big game, I really like chasing upland birds/small game as well. For me, the best state that I've found is Idaho. In any given year you can hunt whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, and black bear OTC. Upland birds include 5 species of grouse, plus huns, chukar, quail, and pheasants. My ideal location would be somewhere in the south central part of the state. A good second would be the Salmon/Challis country.
Where did you find an OTC antelope tag?
Most of the elk tags in the south central area are by draw. The OTC elk are farther north.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Geno - Not looking to move per se, just contemplating and curious as to others ideas of what constitutes the "best state". I'm here in WA for now and if I move it will be to the SE to be by family.

RC - That bait is rotten before it even hits the ground. Lol

Sitka - I like the sun.

257 - Always been fond of the Panhandle.

Honestly - New Zealand is probably as close as it gets to my ideal. I'm sending Trump a letter. We need a 51st State and Puerto Rico ain't gonna do it.

Gotcha,

For me their is no "best state" or I'd move there, assuming I could drag the wife. wink

Agree with your other post about BC. We could carve out Vancouver/Victoria maybe, Puget Sound shoreline south of Bellingham and continue on down all the way to Potlandia, Salem, Corvallis/Eugene. Maybe keep the area around Astoria down the coast, but cut them OR cities out. Then Start cutting CA off at the coast from the Bodega Bay area over east to Santa Rosa, across to Sucktomento and south on the West side of the Sierra Crest to SoCal . Maybe even keep going down the Pacific Crest trail to the Gulf of California, cut back to the coast on the border and annex Baja (kick the cartels out, the regular folks down there are usually pretty nice, tie TJ into SoCal) for the great fishing and Mexican food and give the snowbirds a place to go. Include AK on the North and I could just about call that whole area I described as the "best State", as I could hunt and fish for just about anything I need/want. Go to Desert, Real Mountains, Coastal rainforests, oak parks, Doug fir forests, and all the saltwater and freshwater places.

But, I've been called a dreamer.

When you do retire I hope you find a happy place in the SE.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ah, don't worry about it, that's what girl friends are for! :-)

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Looking at a US map draw a circle w/ a 520 mile radius centered on Bozeman, Mt. That area would encompass everything I would desire. Lots of choices for great places to live, hunt, fish and enjoy English as the primary language. If you excude Colorado.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Stay away from the front range and Colorado is a great place.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by pointer
Though I prefer big game, I really like chasing upland birds/small game as well. For me, the best state that I've found is Idaho. In any given year you can hunt whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, and black bear OTC. Upland birds include 5 species of grouse, plus huns, chukar, quail, and pheasants. My ideal location would be somewhere in the south central part of the state. A good second would be the Salmon/Challis country.
Where did you find an OTC antelope tag?
Most of the elk tags in the south central area are by draw. The OTC elk are farther north.
I knew as soon as I hit post you'd want to bust my balls about the pronghorn part. I guess technically its not OTC, as it comes through the Controlled Hunt drawing, but there are units in ID that have unlimited tags for archery pronghorn hunting. Meaning that they could be hunted every year. I know you know this...

Likewise, my choice of south central was not predicated on the local elk units being OTC. But, it's a chit load closer than where I am and it'd be close to a whole bunch of other things that I'd want to do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, ok. Those. They started that some years ago and now they're doing it for deer archery in a few units. What it does mainly (besides raising money) is to limit where you can hunt. If you draw a permit, you're limited to that hunt. Unit 54 used to be the most popular deer archery unit in the state. It was crawling with bowhunters during Sept, then they'd all grab their guns and hunt in other units during the gun season. Now you have to draw a permit to bowhunt. The permits are unlimited but when you get one, you can't gun hunt later. It really cut down on bowhunting there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Benton TN?

LOL MadMooner I have to vote for Loudon. I will have to say that McMinn Co is pretty to beat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pennsylvania suits me just fine.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Texas has a lot of variety. Hunt in the woods, hunt in the mountains, or hunt in south Texas where there are really big deer. Lots of ducks,dove and quail too.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Still have acreage in Minnesota, Just debating the winters.. Fishing and hunting is there. Taxes not so good..

I'd gtfo of there as fast as I could. MT or TN call my name daily.

Camp is where you make it.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which state has the best opportunity for outdoorsmen? Hunting, fishing, recreational opportunities?
Where does the best opportunity for an outdoorsman exist?

Well it's not Colorado. I would move but the wife won't leave the grand-kids. I'm not sure where I would go; somewhere in the West for sure. Maybe Alaska, Montana, Wyoming?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MadMooner: Montana is the answer to your inquiry.
Just ONE, for instance:
Elk Hunting - Archery season starts this year (2,017) on September 2nd and runs through October 15th then the same archery Hunter can take up his Rifle and Hunt Elk from October 21st through November 26th - that is 66 (sixty six!) days of Hunting that one species!
AND... if said Hunter applies for certain special tags he can harvest TWO Elk and in some instances EXTEND that 46 day season.
By the way the Deer Hunting seasons run in concurrence with the Elk seasons here - so one can Hunt Deer (two species) at the same time they are Hunting Elk.
The fishing in Montana is YEAR ROUND and many say it has THE best fly fishing in the world!
I don't know that for sure as I am not much of a "world traveller" - but my bucks up friends who come here to Montana from Europe also concur with that contention.
I am a beginner fly fishing enthusiast (30+ years now) yet I have caught Trout on a fly in every one of the twelve months of the year - and the ice fishing (bait) is simply wonderful hereabouts.
We here in Montana enjoy boundless opportunities for Game Birds, Waterfowl (including Swans and Sandhill Cranes), Varmints, predators, Big Game and Small Game!
Big Sky it is!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I would like to live in Montana during the summer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My current retirement plan is British Columbia in the summer, Texas Gulf Coast in the winter, hunting my way between the two throughout the fall. Unless I can afford to buy myself one of those swanky quail plantations in the Red Hills on the Georgia, Florida border for the winters. grin

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like several areas, but south west Wisconsin has a lot of draw, for me. The lower Wisconsin river, and the watershed thereto is truly a sportsmans paradise.

North central Arkansas also has a lot going for it.

I'm also fond of Wyomings Bighorn basin, along with the Wind River and parts of the Red Desert.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would be quiet Varmint Guy!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me it would be somewhere in the west that allows you to easily travel and hunt 3-4 states. All those saying Texas better have a surplus of money if you want to take advantage of hunting here, each of the described opportunitys come with a hefty price tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Pretty obvious which state is best when the question has to be phrased to exclude it...

It would have been a boring thread seeing 100s of posts of "Alaska". Oh sure, it would have been broken up a little by a few of the usual morons; but, it would still have been boring.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If I lived south of the border I'd think hard on Montana and plan on heading south a bit for at least part of the winter!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 45 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.