Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Some horses and some mules, yes... trouble is you never know just whether the one you are on is one of those!! Guy went off on a "kill every damn llama" rant one time and explained how a horse went crazy and leapt off a cliff and drug two more with him to the death of all. I patiently waited as he went off on how many times one should shoot a llama and asked him what the guilty llama did after the fatal encounter.

HE JUST STOOD THERE LOOKING STUPID!!! was the screamed reply. Yep now there is a well thought out opinion.

If you take time to pasture your animals downwind for several days they quickly learn to pay no attention whatsoever to the llamas... do this once and reap the rewards for ever. Never known one to stay scared of them.

That sucks about your situation saddlesore, but you are right, still beats golf.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A few horses will spook at llamas just because they haven't seen them before. Normally they won't do anything the 2d time. MIne are around horses quite a bit and very few do anything at all. Then you run into an occasional idiot aboard a horse. A few years ago I was on a narrow trail through deadfall when I ran into several horses. I got as far off the trail as I could but it wasn't over 10 yds. One horse was getting a little spooky and the guy on top decided he was a cowboy. Instead of getting off, he about broke his horse's legs in the deadfall. He needed a horsewhipping in my opinion.
Another time I ran into a family on horses with their small daughter on top a mule. I got off the trail and asked it the horses were familiar with llamas. He just said they would be after this and kept coming. Luckily it didn't do anything but I would have been on the ground holding on to it's head if it had been my little girl on top. He had no idea what it would do.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
RC,

It was 30+ years ago and we were backpacking into the Holy Cross wilderness to scramble some peaks, and I couldn't figure out why these elk were just going up the trail. Tracks all along the way to the lake we were camping at. Got to the lake and a couple were there with their 2 llamas. They had daypacks and the llamas had toted the camp stuff. Too Cool!

May be looking for options like this in the future for greener (retirement) pastures.

John(Dog)

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some one left one north of Vail one year.I heard they could not get it back into a trailer.It had staked out a claim on about an acre of land. We had to ride by every morning in the dark. He would rush us to the edge of his territory .Mules don't like something running right at them in the dark. 9 days and they never got use to it.Even though we had to ride back past it in the afternoon when it was light. Mules don't accept them quite as fast as a horse I will.

I almost had it roped one afternoon until some tourist with a loose dog cashed it back down the trail. I'm not sure what I would have donw with it once I had it snubbed up anyway

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've been fooled by llama tracks, too. For having padded feet instead of hooves, they sure can look alike on soft ground. A llama in the shadows can also be taken for a cow elk. They have the same general body shape and hold their heads the same way. There was a case in MT some years ago where a hunter from NY shot a feral llama for an elk. Unfortunately, he didn't know the difference even on the ground. He got some attention when he went through a check station and photos were all over the web.

My partners would have hung it up several years ago if I didn't have my guys to pack the meat.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Some one left one north of Vail one year.I heard they could not get it back into a trailer.It had staked out a claim on about an acre of land. We had to ride by every morning in the dark. He would rush us to the edge of his territory .Mules don't like something running right at them in the dark. 9 days and they never got use to it.Even though we had to ride back past it in the afternoon when it was light. Mules don't accept them quite as fast as a horse I will.

I almost had it roped one afternoon until some tourist with a loose dog cashed it back down the trail. I'm not sure what I would have donw with it once I had it snubbed up anyway
Llamas are pretty good eating. It tastes a lot like beef but with zero fat in the meat. LIke venison, it's all on the outside. The fat is pink BTW. Very unusual.
Just make sure it's calmed down for a while before you kill it. Like anything else, they can be pretty strong when they've been run. They aren't as easy to rope as you might think. I've tried it and long before the rope gets to the head, the head is on the ground. They have great eyesight and can dodge it nicely.

― George Orwell

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve lost a couple partners for various reasons. I’m only 45 and in great shape except for some back issues but have been hunting alone when I can’t talk a non-hunting friend into a camping trip. I backpack hunt and live in the East which presents even further complications.

Unfortunately, I have found most guys to be big on talk and short on walk when it comes to really committing. Most of the dudes you meet are just plain full of sh*t or lazy, and even people you think you know will often show their true colors when things get a little hard. Then there’s the horn crazy guys that are all about the rack. I have nothing against trophy hunting but I am more into the overall experience and am tickled to be in the mountains and just as happy to take a nice cow.

Every year I get a little anxious about the upcoming season since it is a little tough to scout and plan from 1500 miles from the mountains on a working man’s wages. I ain’t quitting so may need to eventually get some lamas or make friends with folks similar to those that have responded here.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djb
I’ve lost a couple partners for various reasons. I’m only 45 and in great shape except for some back issues but have been hunting alone when I can’t talk a non-hunting friend into a camping trip. I backpack hunt and live in the East which presents even further complications.

Unfortunately, I have found most guys to be big on talk and short on walk when it comes to really committing. Most of the dudes you meet are just plain full of sh*t or lazy, and even people you think you know will often show their true colors when things get a little hard. Then there’s the horn crazy guys that are all about the rack. I have nothing against trophy hunting but I am more into the overall experience and am tickled to be in the mountains and just as happy to take a nice cow.

Every year I get a little anxious about the upcoming season since it is a little tough to scout and plan from 1500 miles from the mountains on a working man’s wages. I ain’t quitting so may need to eventually get some lamas or make friends with folks similar to those that have responded here.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but where are you from in the East?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I ain’t quitting so may need to eventually get some lamas or make friends with folks similar to those that have responded

Check out llama rentals. They're available in a number of places. Unlike horses, you don't need to know how to ride and llamas are very adaptable to whoever is leading them. They'll figure it out for you.

― George Orwell

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hope you don't mind me asking, but where are you from in the East?

I'm in central Ohio, East of Columbus.

IC B3

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I ain’t quitting so may need to eventually get some lamas or make friends with folks similar to those that have responded

Check out llama rentals. They're available in a number of places. Unlike horses, you don't need to know how to ride and llamas are very adaptable to whoever is leading them. They'll figure it out for you.

Thanks for the advice Rock Chuck. I kind of figured I'd have to go with a drop camp when I can't physically can't carry all my gear in and get meat back out on my back. I like to hike in 3-5 miles to and set up a base camp to get away from road hunters and people. I think I've been hunting ~ 9 years now and have taken 5 elk if my math is right. First couple years was an expensive camping trip but I kind of feel I have gotten the gist of how to kill an elk....IF there are any in the area I am in.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It doesn't really make a difference what type of animal you want to pack, a person needs to spend some time and effort learning how to pack.If not your 2-3 hour pack will tune into 6-8 hours because you are stopping to repack on the side of a mountain every 1/2 mile.

The reason I use mules is that if you get to the point you can't carry a pack,which I never could, sooner or later you will get to the point you can't walk any appreciable distance.

Learning to ride and take care of livestock when you are younger strechhs that " Can't Walk" scenario out another 5-10 years. That is where I am at now .

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Another issue with getting old is the desire to get out of the camper and sleep in a tent. My partners are at that stage (I think they were born at that stage). I like horses but don't have the land to keep them. The llamas have been an excellent way to go for my situation. I've found that you don't even have to get back 5 miles to be away from road hunters. Usually 3 miles will do it.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I went from packing in a full wall tent camp,to smaller camps, to setting up a camp at the truck,now a little slide in pop up camper big enough for one person.In the morning ,I need to get up and hour earlier,but I can saddle up and,ride for an hour in the dark. I'll be at that 3+miles in before first light. The minds willing,the body isn't for the camp work.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'll be there all too soon.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If any of you "seasoned" hunters are taking applications for new hunting partners, let me know. I'm 37, in decent shape, and can get along with pretty much anyone. Me and maybe one of my buds could carry the load, so to speak, in exchange for learning the ropes. Never been elk hunting but it's been on top of my bucket list for many years.

I'm kinda serious......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rock -

Same here, one of the benefits of O A. I've had a few to die. One of my BEST friends has developed health problems. Another EXfriend got in trouble with the law and can't own or possess firearms. Still in disbelief of his character.

My long time friend, hunting pard is 75 and still hunts but we don't get to hunt together like we used to.

My son & grandson hunt but don't live close enuff.

The Golden Years are cankered.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally hunt by myself these days...cause folks just don't like to get up early, walk very far or do anything physical. Saddling and caring for horses is a lot of work too, so some people don't like to use them if there's not someone around to do everything for them. I used to hunt off horseback a lot, but for various reasons I do not much anymore. Sometimes, but not often.

Two of the three guys who took my hunting when I was a kid are no longer with us....died pretty young at 47 and 61. The third still goes with me on occasion, but he's slowing down in a big hurry. Sad deal but it is what it is.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For most of us even interested in this thread (seniors) we can remember when we were the young ones in camp doing most of the physical work, we'll now is our time. Hunt with younger folk and enjoy senior privilege for a little while.
I was remembering hunting with my uncle and his buds, they would bring dominoes to hunting camp. I'm 72 now and still don't see myself old enough to bring dominoes.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Most people don't know how to play dominoes any more but 5 card stud is still popular.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.