Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hey guys
I've got a rebarrel question for you, but first a little history on the rifle.
This rifle started out as my grandfather's rifle, and he put it to good use. It was originally chambered in .2506 and it shot pretty well. I inherited it when he passed and the rifle began to not shoot as well as once did so I decided to spruce it up with a new tube. I had it rebarreled in .2506 with a 24" hart barrel #2ish contour (can't remember truthfully), ordered a McMillan stock, Timney trigger and had it cerakoted. To say I was excited at the end of this two year process would be an understatement... that is until I shot it. It's an honest 1.5 MOA gun with everything I feed it.
I am at a crossroads here.. I could put the rifle up and just use it when hunting in the woods (but I know me I'll pick up something that shoots better) or have it rebarreled. The problem I run into here is that most gunsmiths don't want to work on a Mauser style action. Do you guys know of anybody that you would recommend using ?
Appreciate the advice
Eli

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kevin Weaver did good work for me. Weaver Rifles on Google should bring up his site. Great dude to work with.

What Bullets have you ran through it? Seems like most 25-06's are usually darned good and not too fussy. Sounds like a great set up. Hope you can get it to turn a corner.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
ER Shaw or Douglas Barrels will put on one of theirs. Shaw does a fantastic polished blue job, the Shaw barrels I have all seem to shoot well and clean easy..

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Who did the rebarrel?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Local guy that usually does good work did it. I hate to name him, but it took him over a year just to barrel it so I won't go down that road again. I've shot a variety of bullets in it from Sierra, Barnes and Nosler in a variety of weights from light to heavy. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you know what the barrel's rate of twist is?

I ask this because I got a great deal on a .257" bore barrel because it was cut 1-14" ROT and the guy who originally ordered it was unhappy that it wouldn't stabilize the bullets that he wanted to shoot.

What does the 'smith say?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
9 twist. I haven't asked him because I don't want to open that can of worms. Just ready to cut my losses and use somebody else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You haven't shared with us the sort of grouping you are getting. Are you getting perfect circles/triangles? Or perhaps vertical or horizontal groups? I would dig in a bit into the way the mauser action is bedded and try a few things before I went through the hassle of rebarreling.

The way the bottom metal and the front lug meet IMO could be a potential issue. The two pieces can touch if not bedded properly causing a false tightness.

Other considerations:

Check front action screw hole if it is a blind hole for epoxy

Action screw bottoming out in blind hole (too long)

Leupold windage style base windage side screws not tight

Forward screw of front base touching threads of barrel shank

Poor crown, optimal way is to check with bore scope

Action screw holes in stock too small, drill larger so sides of action screw won't touch

Bolt handle touching stock

Mag box must not bind

Recoil lug making early contact in bottom of bedding (rocking action)
Trigger group must not touch stock

Trigger guard must not touch trigger

Uneven bedding--- tightening one action screw to see if the action pulls up at other end.

Action screws properly torqued

Barrel having adequate clearance where it is supposed to be floated

Clean bore

-------------------
Have you tried any factory ammo?

Last edited by Azshooter; 05/08/17.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What AZshooter said above. Check absolutely everything before rebarreling.

Even if everything is check and you're still getting 1.5 MOA performance I'd hunt the heck out of it. That is more than enough out to 400 yards and if you're like me that'd be a super long shot... my max is almost always around 300.

Good luck!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TNsavageman
9 twist. I haven't asked him because I don't want to open that can of worms. Just ready to cut my losses and use somebody else.

I would have the guy who rebarreled it to a least look at it. Have him shoot it...have him fix it. That is the only way to cut your losses.

Having it rebarreled...and paying someone else to do it...is opening a can of worms.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by efw
What AZshooter said above. Check absolutely everything before rebarreling.

Even if everything is check and you're still getting 1.5 MOA performance I'd hunt the heck out of it. That is more than enough out to 400 yards and if you're like me that'd be a super long shot... my max is almost always around 300.

Good luck!
+1

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by TNsavageman

I would have the guy who rebarreled it to a least look at it. Have him shoot it...have him fix it. That is the only way to cut your losses.

Having it rebarreled...and paying someone else to do it...is opening a can of worms.

+1

Good advice.

I would think the original smith may like to know what's going on, it's his work and reputation.

I would if I was that guy.

You're aggravated, just take a deep breath and give him a call. IMO, he deserves the courtesy, deserves a shot at making it right.

He must have something going for him or you wouldn't have hired him in the first place.

I would seek an alternative ONLY after the above efforts fail.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If you don't want the original smith looking at it again is there another smith that you have faith in? I'd have him check it out before dismissing the barrel.
Had a quality 25 caliber barrel put on a good shooting pushfeed winlite. I could not get that rifle to shoot decently with the new tube, though it was very accurate as a 30-06 fwt. I tried several different bullets/powders from 100 grains and up, and all the tricks I knew. Best I could get was 2". Original smith was absolutely no help, though he has a reputation for accuracy work.
In the end I wrote it off as a bad experience and sold the rifle with full disclosure. I learned a couple things from that expensive experience!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hill Country Rifles has an accurizing service. Not sure if they still do it but if they couldn't get a rifle to shoot they would pro-rate their fee towards a re-barrel job. This is about half the cost of a new barrel job.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hey guys
I appreciate all the advice and experience. I am going to make contact with the original gunsmith and go from there. If we can't get it worked out I will contact a few of the folks mentioned here.
Thanks again

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good.

Let us know how it works out.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Please do post a follow up. I have had only one bad barrel but it still shot OK. Had one factory rifle with the barrel screwed on wonky the Winchester custom shop got it shooting really well, all the others were bedding issues that could easily be fixed. Had one ruger with a bad barrel & chamber and just re-barreled it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, we all benefit and learn from these experiences.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Will do. Contacted the gunsmith and let him know what was going on. I will post a follow up asap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After I bought my Interarms Mark X action, I had Krieger true the action, build a 6.5-06AI barrel and mount it. Super accurate rifle. It is my favorite and most reliable 600-yard clay pigeon shooter.

I fire-form .25-06 brass and even the fire-form loads are awesome accurate.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.