Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
It does make me nervous when I see some folks open carrying in the cheapest ill fitting holster he could find. It makes me wonder if he is smart enough and safe enough to properly carry since he picked such a crappy holster.

WTF has money for holsters? 'Crappy', or not........ Don't go having a 'nervous breakdown' now.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Single action revolver--no. I have carried various iterations of the 1911 for over 40 years--always cocked and locked, but almost always in holsters with a snap strap between the hammer and the slide. I have occasionally carried them stuck in my jeans at 4 o'clock or 6 o'clock. These days, I no longer carry single action autos for self-defense.

I normally do not strike up a conversation with folks who carry openly unless I know them.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by g5m
It's pretty easy to cock at least some single actions that are holstered when getting out of a car or truck with the seatbelt. I can't see any reason to intentionally do it.

I'd probably have mentioned to the fellow that his revolver was cocked.

A guy who was the mayor in a small town where I was living some years ago had the hammer of a holstered Ruger BH .357 mag get drawn back and released getting into or out of a car. The gun went off and shot him in the leg.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC there is an old saying about safely carrying SA revolvers , "5 beans in the wheel", which I understand to mean 5 loaded chambers with the hammer down on an empty chamber. It seems like a potentially dangerous situation to me, but I'm a DA guy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A high school bud was getting out of his truck with a loaded revolver stuffed under the seat. An older model with the firing pin on the hammer. Knocked the gun out on the ground getting out of the truck. Gun landed perfectly wrong and discharged. He's been in a wheelchair ever since. That was ~ 40 yrs ago.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by g5m
It's pretty easy to cock at least some single actions that are holstered when getting out of a car or truck with the seatbelt. I can't see any reason to intentionally do it.

A guy who was the mayor in a small town where I was living some years ago had the hammer of a holstered Ruger BH .357 mag get drawn back and released getting into or out of a car. The gun went off and shot him in the leg.

The only way the hammer got released and the gun fired was that the trigger got pulled. Unless it happened to be a three screw that hadn't been converted to the transfer bar.

Regards,

Tom
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tominboise
Originally Posted by g5m

The only way the hammer got released and the gun fired was that the trigger got pulled. Unless it happened to be a three screw that hadn't been converted to the transfer bar.

That's what I was thinking seeing that guy with his single action revolver cocked. Even so it would be like carrying a 1911 in condition 1 with the grip safety tied down and the side safety disengaged. I imagine that single action revolver would have a very light trigger pull as well. There's no way I can see it is a safe practice for anyone.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/14/17.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
R H Clark: NO!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Someday that fella is going to earn the nickname Stumpy, Gimpy, Peg Leg.... What an idiot.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by tominboise
Originally Posted by g5m

This happened at a time when all Ruger BH's were three-screws.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You know, thinking about doing something and doing it aren't the same thing. If you ain't gonna mention it to the guy, WTF tell us?

When I saw him carrying it open,in a holster cocked I thought it was an incredible dumb and dangerous way to carry. I asked to make sure I wasn't wrong. I thought it might be possible that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. I wanted to be sure when I see the old guy again and politely tell him that he is doing something very dangerous. I haven't been around many single action revolvers. I've never carried one or known anyone to carry one. I live in a small town and will likely see the guy again if he doesn't shoot himself or someone else first.

WOW, good luck with being you.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
Someday that fella is going to earn the nickname Stumpy, Gimpy, Peg Leg.

Yep, and his current nickname:
Originally Posted by viking
What an idiot.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 05/15/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
You know, thinking about doing something and doing it aren't the same thing. If you ain't gonna mention it to the guy, WTF tell us?

When I saw him carrying it open,in a holster cocked I thought it was an incredible dumb and dangerous way to carry. I asked to make sure I wasn't wrong. I thought it might be possible that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. I wanted to be sure when I see the old guy again and politely tell him that he is doing something very dangerous. I haven't been around many single action revolvers. I've never carried one or known anyone to carry one. I live in a small town and will likely see the guy again if he doesn't shoot himself or someone else first.

WOW, good luck with being you.

Thanks,I like me just fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
he was just saying leave me alone I'm ready, cocked and loaded

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
nope

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If it had a thumb strap that blocked the hammer from falling until I pulled it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw a guy one time mexican carrying down the front of his pants. I wanted to say if someone grabs that thing your gonna get your dick shot off

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think I have ever seen a Ruger with the firing pin on the hammer. wink

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was deer hunting on an uncles farm and ran into a guy that worked for him that he's let hunt there also. This goober was carrying a Winchester 94 with the hammer down, not at half-cock as he should have been. I left the farm immediately.

As to being somewhat concerned about people who open carry, about the only place I've ever noticed it was at Walmart. Every single one of them appeared to me to be card carrying goobers, who just wanted to be noticed. People like this remind me of the Black man I knew that pulled into the parking lot of the little country store one day, with his old truck sporting a pair of CB antennas. This was back in the day when CB radios were popular. I said to him that I saw he now had him a CB radio, and he replied....."no suh, I just wants to make people think I do".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a Nephew, that like His Dad is kinda spacey. Friend of mine and I were working on a building that I was putting up when He walked by, going deer hunting with a caplock muzzleloader, with the hammer cocked and a cap in place. I made mention that His rifle was cocked, and He replied that you had to cock it to get the cap on. He had no clue that you could let it back down, until I showed Him. He has done a lot of strange stuff over the years, but that one takes the cake. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.