-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody hunt and pack with shoes instead of boots?

I've seen several folks have traded in their heavy boots for some light weight trail runners. Sounds like a great idea, but wonder how it works when you are toting a heavy load?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Really stiff boots are hard on my feet and I compromise by using the Lowa Camino gtx. I can't imagine using a lightweight trail shoe under a heavy load. Even if your feet didn't hurt it sounds like a fantastic way to roll an ankle.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use both , more often shoes, but it depends on terrain. I don't have a problem with heavy loads and steep terrain with shoes. My general guidelines

Lots of Snow, Slush and Mud -- Full Grain Leather Boots
Lots of Cactus -- Often Full Grain Leather or a Shoe with a good sole and probably nubuck .. maybe 5.10 approach or similar
Talus and Scree - Heavier Duty Trail Shoe .. bit thicker sole and fabric plus toe rand
Limited amount of above - Trail runner . It can be steep, it can be rugged, it can be timber etc and it can be heavy.

In general, I don't have a problem with stability, weight or steepness and actually prefer a lighter more flexible shoe .. but terrain type and conditions dictate.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I switched for a couple reasons. I have something which I think is called "Haglund's Deformity" and bursitis to go with it. The near vertical heel section of boots causes discomfort. Heavy low tops and running shoes seem to have more a of a pocket that forms around it without discomfort. I have very high arches. I have a tradeoff between plantar fasciitis and a displacement of the joint at the base of the third and 4th toe. Also, my ankles are not the same diameter because of an injury in high school. I have a 2nd bony protrusion above the ankle bone on the inside of my left ankle. Getting boots that fit both feet is quite difficult ... or ridiculously expensive having them made.

For most hiking including backpacking, I wear Merrill Moab Ventilators. I switched from high tops to low tops back in the 80s. My shoe of choice back then was the Nike Lava Dome.

I have not had any issues with ankle twists in 20 years or more, not since I quit wearing "high tops for ankle support" .. ironic, huh? So the only reason for me to wear boots, ever, is in very wet conditions to keep my feet dry.

I haven't worn a high top boot in 5-6 years now other than a pair of Sorrel Pacs for temps around zero. I have a pair of Danner high tops which I keep for someday for snow shoe use. Normally, though, I wear the Merrill Moab Ventilators when it's dry and the waterproof equivalent if it's wet and put gaiters over the top. This works pretty well in snow, too.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Ankle rolling is as much about sole width and thickness as anything. IF the sole design is tippy (thick but narrow), you need a boot, and there better not be a construction hinge at the ankle.

It's tough to roll an ankle with UL hiking shoes with a low profile sole.

I use a UL shoe as an "approach" shoe for insertions with lots of trail miles. Depending on weather, foliage, terrain and rock, they can be used to hunt in as well. For me, when loaded with more than camp, I need something with better foot support from a substantial sole, and with that comes the rest of a leather boot.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Im going to give it a try this year.

My only worry was protection from rocks and roots, especially heading down hill, for toes and soles. A stiff soled runner would be killer.

That and I've a ankle that's a bit hinky. My big toe doesn't work anymore and it affects that ankle.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
WTF is up with hiking boots today with uber narrow soles?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Keen Targhee II - best hiking/hunting shoe I've ever had. Not something for snow, but rain or dry conditions are perfect with it. Very LIGHT. Went sheep hunting in Mt for two weeks and loved them.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 04/29/17.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Year before last I hunted/hiked/camped all year with the Salomon Mid Ultra X, basically a mid top running shoe. I felt that they had plenty of support for a full pack and hauling meat BUT the soles were just a tad too thin and flexible for the heavy loads and the bottoms of my feet felt pretty bruised by the end of a week of elk hunting. I went a step up in stiffness and been happy there. I wear those all the way into late fall until I have to switch to something insulated.

To me it seems like these heavy leather hunting boots are marketed and sold to people based on the "dream sheep hunt that I hope to do one day in the unknown future" rather than the actual hunting that takes place in real life.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not all boots provide much ankle support. Some high top boots provide very little support to the ankle. Think of western boots as an example, loose wellingtons or maybe short hiking boots as other examples of low ankle support boots. Even quite a few of the higher top lace up boots don't provide any meaningful ankle support or "rollover" resistance.

Training and conditioning of the feet- strengthening the foot and ankle will allow you to carry a heavy load with shoes with no problems. If you have an ankle or foot problem, that may not be possible. If your conditioning is not the best, or if the conditions exceed your conditioning, then a supportive boot can help protect your feet and ankles.

As Wildcat33 mentioned, you'll want a shoe (or boot) with solid shank support and a protective sole. Too light a shoe (or boot), especially in rocky terrain, will "work" your feet until it feels like you've had your soles beaten with sticks. One of my favorite pairs of boots are light and comfortable but the sole is too flexible for me to wear on rocky terrain with any real load. Again, conditioning makes a big difference.

To answer your question, I hunt in shoes fairly often depending on conditions.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Years ago if a guy showed up for practice on the football field without ankles wrapped, a chitstorm would ensue. Then the NFL started figuring out it was a counterproductive practice, keeping ankles weaker by not allowing a free range of motion. While not necessarily the case for everyone, most people would be happier with shoes over boots. I know I am for most of my backpacking, and some of my hunting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
A
I hunt either hunt in mocs/brogues, or barefoot if the water is high or an opportunity shot pops up. I got in some chronic foot trouble a few years back, and I am no basically confined to those being my options, but they certainly do the trick.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I went to Keen hikers that are stiffer (and a tad heavier) than trail runners but offer more support too. A great halfway point.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by efw; 05/14/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,730
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.