Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never was in danger of running low on rimfire ammo, but I did use the retail shortage to experiment with some brands I never tried or heard of before.

Chief among the standouts is the Armscor .22LR HVHP. This is good ammo that shoots as well as CCI of the same configuration in most of my rimfires. I do wish it came packaged like CCI but the 50 round cardboard boxes are no real problem. The Armscor stuff is available just about everywhere that I buy ammo, and the price is right in line with what I paid for the better ammo before the shortages started.

Have also had good luck with the American Eagle, but it still isn't as widely available as the Armscor, and I like the packaging even less...

Who else disc overed good stuff due to the shortage?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey John!
Like you, I was never in danger of running out though I did cut back on shooting .22 and shot more 9mm.
I read good things about Aguila Super Extra so I purchased a box to add to my collection of good .22 ammo for when I want to see what a rifle is capable of. I have not fired any of it, though.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I never ran out but did end up shooting a bunch of different types as it came available at decent prices and my main take-away was that Remington Golden Bullet HP has really gone downhill in the last 30+ years. I shoot Federal Bulk and CCI Subsonic HP or Subsonic Segmented HP and don't see any reason to switch now....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I had about zero rimfire when the shortage hit. So I was very pleased when I found a couple of buckets of the Golden Bullets.

I bought two and still did not have any rimfire! That stuff was junk. I used to like it too, that and Thunderbolts.

For what ever reason we never did get much CCI up here, mainly just Super X's and American Eagles.

Recently I bought a case of that Troy Landry CCI stuff....my first mini mags. I like them.

Also tried a couple bricks of the Armscor stuff and it is good too. The Browning BHP hollow points are a new one that I like as well.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The Golden Bullets had some of the most inconsistent priming I've ever seen. They said they fixed it a few years back, but I wasn't willing to risk, at current prices, checking it out. I'd have 1 out of 15 or 20 fail to go boom in several different guns. Hard hits on the rim. Eject it and put it back in. Boom. The priming must not have been getting distributed all the way around.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah, with the GB's I would load ten, and if they all went off they all sounded different and landed in different spots.

I kind of wish I could peddle them, not even good enough to teach a kid to shoot with.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fburgtx
The Golden Bullets had some of the most inconsistent priming I've ever seen. They said they fixed it a few years back, but I wasn't willing to risk, at current prices, checking it out. I'd have 1 out of 15 or 20 fail to go boom in several different guns. Hard hits on the rim. Eject it and put it back in. Boom. The priming must not have been getting distributed all the way around.

My experience pretty much mirrors that, as well as a full spectrum muzzle blast / report note variance,.....

Lousy ammo.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I had about zero rimfire when the shortage hit. So I was very pleased when I found a couple of buckets of the Golden Bullets.

I bought two and still did not have any rimfire! That stuff was junk.

I heard that Remington had improved their rimfire ammo.
I was not willing to risk my money to find out.
I will continue to avoid Remington rimfire.
It was easier to shoot the Remongtons I had on hand during the shortage and not worry about replacing it.

Last edited by savage24; 05/15/17.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I seldom shoot RF at paper, but do appreciate precision when on the hunt. Couple of boxes of trash for the grandkids when they show, they aren't yet ready for serious schoolin'. Been with CCI for some years, the LR SV and HP do yeoman work on pigs now and then, but the CBs carried the freight for some years. Ample supply before the storm hit, haven't purchased any in the last decade. What am I bid for the old cardboard box WW Power Points? laugh 2 bricks awaiting the call from the 10/22 and they shoot very well in that gun. Do have an old yellow box of Winchester with a $1.29 sticker on it. It'll last until I run out of lead for the Sneezer.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I went into the shortage with about 97 rounds.... but who is counting? I came out of the shortage with about 90 rounds. I et a half-dozen grouse...

I probably should buy a thousand rounds or so.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by fburgtx

My experience pretty much mirrors that, as well as a full spectrum muzzle blast / report note variance,.....

Lousy ammo.

GTC

I bought one of the Golden Bucket of ammo during the shortage just to have it.

I've always liked the CCI/Federal HP's.

Got to shooting the other stuff to save my good stuff, and quickly found that the Winchester bulk ammo was purely unreliable on any plane. Dud's and short stroking my semi-autos.

Broke open that Golden bucket and was really surprised at how consistent, powerful and accurate it is now. No misfires. No duds. In fact, I like it as much as my beloved CCI/Federal ammo now.

I'd have to be real hard up before buying anymore Winchester ammo in rimfire now, though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had about 10,000. I was ok.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I ran out of CCI CB caps when the shortage first started. I have been looking for 3 or 4 years and finally found some last week. I ordered 600.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Aguila. My pistols like it, my rifles like it- even a 10/22T with a very tight chamber that won't feed Stingers likes the
Super Maximum, and kills stuff like a WMR. I'm sorry to use ammo en espanol, but it was what I could find when the shartage began to threaten,
and it turned out to be some of the best I've had.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had enough, but did cut back on shooting 22's. The cheap bulk ammo still isn't available here. None of the local Walmarts have had a box of 22's in a couple of years, maybe longer. But I was able to find a steady supply of some of the better ammo. Now that I've gotten used to actually hitting what I aim at I don't see me going back to the cheap stuff. CCI Mini Mags at about $10/100 rounds is the cheapest I've found that shoots well enough. I've found a steady supply of Norma TAC-22 ammo sold for about $7/50 rounds during the shortage. I can now get it at about the same price as CCI.

I mounted a scope with dials on it to one of my more accurate 22's and have figured out the settings out to 200 yards. I'm getting about the same size groups at 200 that I was getting at 50 with the bulk ammo.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a couple boxes of Rem Thunderbolts that I bought in desperation. They aren't nearly as accurate as the Wins or CCI's I've shot. They have a lot of fliers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had more than 10,000 rounds when the shortage hit so i didn't run out

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Who else disc overed good stuff due to the shortage?
Not from the shortage but just before it I discovered Federal Automatch. It's the most accurate .22 RF I've ever used in my Shaw heavy barrel 10/22 and I have tested many brands.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Nebraska
....... Remington Golden Bullet HP has really gone downhill in the last 30+ years.

What part of Remington hasn't?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to really cut back on my rimfire shooting, but I still had a couple of thousand rounds at the end. Just bought my first brick in four years yesterday.

What I am almost out of, however, is shorts. Only have enough for about 20 more varmints.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 3,185 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.