-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How do you benchrest a revolver to tweak your adjustable sights? I seem to shoot better with a free hand hold compared to resting the barrel on a sandbag (which nis supposed to be a big no no)..

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Caldwell pistol rest. Works fairly well. I use it for hand load development and sight adjustments. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I rest the frame on a sandbag, just forward of the cylinder. The key is to protect your elbows, and to position yourself behind the gun so the recoil doesn't whip your arms sideways. I tend to use a sandbag setup several inches higher than my rifle benchrest, so that I can sit up straight directly behind the revolver.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a sandbag under the grip of the revolver and rest the frame on an MTM rest or block of wood. What you use isn't as important as having a consistent grip shot to shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I rest the frame on a sandbag, just forward of the cylinder. The key is to protect your elbows, and to position yourself behind the gun so the recoil doesn't whip your arms sideways. I tend to use a sandbag setup several inches higher than my rifle benchrest, so that I can sit up straight directly behind the revolver.
Same here. Rest it so that upon recoil it moves up and away from the rest immediately with nothing else touching. Also sitting up straighter so you are looking as straight out as possible and not with your head down. Don't press into the bags, rest the frame on them only as much as needed to keep your hands steady. Basically mimic how you'd shoot in the field except the bags are there to keep your hands from moving.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Local range has plywood boxes wrapped in carpet. I set handguns in a sandbag on top of the box.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Count me in this technique group as well.

Last edited by bwinters; 05/09/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bwinters

Count me in this technique group as well.

Ditto here

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Marksman's Box that are sadly no longer in production by long time campfire member Gene McCarren.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/marksmans_box.htm

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This it the inventor demoing the pistol use.
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When zeroing, I hold the gun in a normal two-hand grip and shoot with the heel of my hands rested on the range bag,.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my bench testing rig. I rest the barrel or the frame on the front rest, and my hands on the back bag. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think it's a sin to rest the barrel on a bag. The more critical issue is your grip tension. I have found no discernible difference in POI shooting off the bench or offhand using the same grip tension.

[Linked Image]

Here's another photo of my setup.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use traditional front rests (need to protect the front bag from the cylinder gap blast or regularly replace front bags smile ).
With traditional revolvers, I rest the front of the frame on the front bag, and I use a leather bag (Filled with heavy sand typically) for the grip.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I use sandbags to get a solid rest on the grip and trigger guard frame area while I press the gun forward. Nothing touches the barrel.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SargeMO
When zeroing, I hold the gun in a normal two-hand grip and shoot with the heel of my hands rested on the range bag,.

that is exactly how i do it. i don't rest the barrel of any gun on a bag or anything else when shooting off a bench.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Steve_in_PA; 05/14/17.
P
P
I have using the MTM pistol rest for several years and could not be happier. Really Inexpensive, light weight, and it works.
I shoot for accuracy in group sizes on paper at 25 yards and steel at 100yards+. I am a reloader and am mostly consumed with testing every recipe in the world. The MTM reduces the shooter error during testing.

It's not for snubbies because their barrels are too short to clear the front rest. It does not hold the gun still or return it to 0,0 after the shot. It just supports it.

Prescut

If it doesn't spin, it's a sin.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.