Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Armednfree
After my experience with the Ruger Predator in 223 I got to thinking. I have been lugging around the HB M700's for years. I currently have a 22-250 and sold my 243. Both tack drivers, but the 243 took some work.

We don't have prairie dogs here in Ohio, or anything like that. We have woodchucks and coyotes. Shots do not come fast like in prairie dog shooting and the barrels have time to fully cool.

Logic is telling me to sell the M700 22-250 which would give me enough, or nearly so, to buy the Ruger Predators in 22-250 AND 243. It's a 22-250 stainless laminate thumb hole.

Thoughts

I thought about the same thing recently. I sold my Remington 700 HB guns and replaced them with a CZ 527 in 204 Ruger and 17 Remington. I hope to give them both a workout this summer. The heavy barrel CZ's are quite light in comparison. Depending on rings and scope you could easily stay under 9 pounds. Try doing that with a Remington 700 heavy barrel. Plus the CZ's have a set trigger which can be adjusted in the ounces.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ever notice that you can hand any kinda gun (barrel) to a woman, and she just shoots it? Sometimes with crazy good results, cause nobody told her it "wasn't any good".

But, she'll be dressed to show, and wearin the "right" shoes while she does it.

Barrels to guys is like shoes to women.

Buy the one that you think is gonna make you look good, and run with it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Skinny barreled rifles are too much like FAT WOMEN!

Don't care for 'em!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Jeep never got tired hauling my heavy rifles. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Ever notice that you can hand any kinda gun (barrel) to a woman, and she just shoots it? Sometimes with crazy good results, cause nobody told her it "wasn't any good".

But, she'll be dressed to show, and wearin the "right" shoes while she does it.

Barrels to guys is like shoes to women.

Buy the one that you think is gonna make you look good, and run with it.

Not mine. It'll be jeans and boots or tennis shoes and a muscle shirt regardless of what rifle or what she is doing. Though she did run combat boots when in competition for ankle support... not of that womanly wasteful crap.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ever get that snow fence thing worked out... helped a guy in town today to find the actual irons to his property so they could realize a sign was in the wrong place.... but thats not what I was told.. he said. LOL.... until you've surveyed, you don't understand some thigns it seems. BTDT. And even after understanding, not all understand about honey vs vinegar.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I had a heavy barrel chuck gun once. Hated carrying the damn thing around so I got rid of it. I prefer a mid weight sporter about 8 pounds all up. I have three that meet those specs chambered in .223, .22-250 and .243. They're all plenty accurate to shoot chucks as far as I'm ever going to get the opportunity in the rolling farm country I hunt, 99% of which will be less than 350 yards.

Same here.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rost495
Not mine. It'll be jeans and boots or tennis shoes and a muscle shirt regardless of what rifle or what she is doing. Though she did run combat boots when in competition for ankle support... not of that womanly wasteful crap.

Oh, it happens, but probably cause you stumbled onto "the rule".

When a woman is convinced there ain't gonna be no other women around, they can actually dress rational.

Learned that backpackin inta the middle o' nowhere.

Once Fubarskette was convinced she wasn't gonna run inta any other womens, her pack lost 15 pounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Why not keep them all? What's wrong with you?😊

I don't tend to hang on to safe queens. That's cash sitting and doing nothing.

A sentiment I share. If I haven't used a gun in a few years and don't see much of a future use for it, down the road it goes to fund something I will use.

I'd much rather have a handy dandy 223 I'll carry and shoot than a heavy varmint rifle I won't. Even if you give up a little bit of accuracy, I don't see a light .223 that "only" groups moa as being a handicap for your use.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I wasn't shooting colony vermin or paper/steel I would not bother toting a heavy barrel anything.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Never saw a HB in the biathlon.

Can't figure why.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ever get that snow fence thing worked out... helped a guy in town today to find the actual irons to his property so they could realize a sign was in the wrong place.... but thats not what I was told.. he said. LOL.... until you've surveyed, you don't understand some thigns it seems. BTDT. And even after understanding, not all understand about honey vs vinegar.

The city made him take it down.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Skinny barreled rifles are too much like FAT WOMEN!

They perform great and really want to satisfy you. You just don't want your friends to see you with them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
After my experience with the Ruger Predator in 223 I got to thinking. I have been lugging around the HB M700's for years. I currently have a 22-250 and sold my 243. Both tack drivers, but the 243 took some work.

We don't have prairie dogs here in Ohio, or anything like that. We have woodchucks and coyotes. Shots do not come fast like in prairie dog shooting and the barrels have time to fully cool.

Logic is telling me to sell the M700 22-250 which would give me enough, or nearly so, to buy the Ruger Predators in 22-250 AND 243. It's a 22-250 stainless laminate thumb hole.

Thoughts

I like RAR-Ps, but the stocks don't fit me very well, so I swapped most of them for Boyds laminated in the Heritage style. The down side is that those stocks are a full 16 ounces heavier than the factory synthetic stocks and cost around $200 with pressed checkering.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Rugers can be either really good shooters or really bad......so it's a crap shoot.....I like the 700 and all the options available .my preferred for coyote calling and general use in a HB type platform....they all shoot....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Oh, it happens, but probably cause you stumbled onto "the rule".

When a woman is convinced there ain't gonna be no other women around, they can actually dress rational.

Learned that backpackin inta the middle o' nowhere.

Once Fubarskette was convinced she wasn't gonna run inta any other womens, her pack lost 15 pounds.

Nah, I ran into one with sense. She could give a flip less about other women. A rare one this one for sure. A gem to treasure. Not a single dress in the house, no damn 50 high heels. No jewels. Just likes outdoor gear, guns, cameras etc.... last purchase of hers.. glock 20 SF.... All on her own. Before that Ti Smith 357...

in fact she pretty much can't stand most other women cause they are wrapped up in drama and themselves... prefers to be mostly around males or our dogs. Even me sometimes.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

The city made him take it down.

Thats good news on your end then! Have no clue what snow fence rules would be down here in this stupid hot SOB state. Hopefully will find out in a few years, but at least won't have neighbors as we'll be on at least 5 acres... which will still seem damn small, but at least we'll have Alaska out the back door finally.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have some heavy barrel rifles, and I like them. Dont mind carrying them around.

But my most practical varmint rifle is probably the MK 2 stainless Ruger I have. Black skeleton type stock with a 22 inch skinny barrel.

It'l shoot short and far and is a delight to carry.

I dont go for long walks with a heavy rifle and I dont sit at a bench shooting long strings of prairie dogs with a skinny barrel.

Someday I hope CZ comes out with a stainless American with a laminate stock.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
One of the best coyote hunters in the country shoot a 17# rifle.. That tells me a lot.. But your shooting is fun, not your job.. I like heavy rifles.. See no point in carrying a light rifle to miss the best shot of the day..

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Go for it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.