Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by k22hornet
Originally Posted by hanco
You can get uninsured motorist ins. with liability. Would have paid for your car. Are you sure you don't have that?

In Colorado, he would have to have purchased UM Property Damage Coverage, or Collision, to get his car covered.

Plain old UM/UIM only pays for Bodily Injury to the occupants of his car.

I'm glad this subject came up, I always thought UM insurance was to cover your damages to your vehicle. Guess I need to be checking with my ins. company.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by k22hornet
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You dint pay for uninsured motorist or is that unavailable in your state? Very little to add to your policy in Texas.
I think all states require you to have it to cover at least some of your medical costs but it's optional to cover the vehicle. Something like 1 in 7 drivers don't have insurance so it's a good protection.

In Colorado, UM/UIM is optional and you have to sign a rejection form if you don't want it.

RockChuck, you might be thinking of No-Fault, which used to be mandatory in Colorado. Your auto policy paid for your medical expenses regardless of fault.

No, read this one: UNINSURED MOTORIST INSURANCE

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You may not get anything anyway (how old was she?), but get a lawyer. I know someone who was in your shoes, a friend, and someone who was in her shoes (former employee, same accident), If the right paperwork is done, Wyoming will suspend her licence for financial obligation. Sometimes they will issue a temporary permit and a payment plan for people who cannot pay all at once, but their temporary licence is only valid if they are current on their payments to you and have an SR22, proof of insurance that is up to date on file. It might take a while to get your money (and your lawyers), but if she want's a drivers license, it does add some incentive, and a monthly check is better than nothing.

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Rockchuck,

That is correct, UM/UIM Bodily Injury and UM/UIM Property Damage are separate coverages.

In general, if a car owner wants to cover his car, get Collision Coverage on it, instead of UM/UIM Property Damage (UM/UIM PD).

The cost difference between the two is very minor, and Collision Coverage will pay for your car whether it's your fault or the other driver's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cut her kidneys out and sell them $10,000 a piece.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You didn't pay for uninsured motorist or is that unavailable in your state? Very little to add to your policy in Texas.

Uninsured Motorist only covers personal injury.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
You didn't pay for uninsured motorist or is that unavailable in your state? Very little to add to your policy in Texas.

Uninsured Motorist only covers personal injury.

Negative..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

With all the uninsured illegals driving around here you have to carry uninsured motorist coverage. My cheap co-worker from China was driving without it and got hit by an illegal which totaled his car and lost him $4K. That was a life lesson for him.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Texas is a stand alone state, meaning our tx policy is different than " all" of the fly over country.

We have our own Tx policy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Texas is a stand alone state, meaning our tx policy is different than " all" of the fly over country.

So, in Texas UIM just covers bodily injury?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember cowboy, you can go after the "person who owns the car".
That's why I pull plates when I sell a car. They can't drive it without plates for very long.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SandBilly

So, in Texas UIM just covers bodily injury?

If I had my policy in front of me I would read it, just for you. Then I would know for sure. So I will not answer that one.
Been 17 years since I was in that business. Bugging the wife right now to see if she can find it, then I'll read it real quick.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sandbilly, nothing but past year bills. Would have to go get a policy from the agent. Don't want the dec sheet telling coverages, Would want a copy of the Tex policy for the co I insure with.

The way Texas works is the state has rules, then in addition each Insurance has it's own rules of what they will do.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sandbilly, nothing but past year bills. Would have to go get a policy from the agent. Don't want the dec sheet telling coverages, Would want a copy of the Tex policy for the co I insure with.

The way Texas works is the state has rules, then in addition each Insurance has it's own rules of what they will do.

Understood. Not a big deal but I doubt UIM in Texas doesn't cover property damage.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Remember cowboy, you can go after the "person who owns the car".
That's why I pull plates when I sell a car. They can't drive it without plates for very long.

Idaho has a tearoff section on the title. When you sell, you fill out the buyers info on it, tear it off, and mail it to the DMV. It removes your liability on the date you sell it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went and looked it up on the net.
I had forgot that the co I'm with changed their Tx policy to match flyover country last year or the year before.
Said it was easier on them with the paperwork and the adjusters.
Cheaper to do.
So UIM only covers Medical. Not the car. Says the difference in the policy. Meaning if they have 25/50/25, 25,000 per person, 50,000 per accident. So bad guys insurance that caused the wreck and got the tickets policy would only pay 25,000 on medical, mine would take up from 25 to 100/300/100 max. So 75,000 on my co.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My girlfriend got hit by an uninsured illegal and her insurance(Geico) paid to repair her car with the UIM coverage.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It is surprising how many people with assets that can be seized will drive around with minimal liability coverage. But they insure the car to the hilt for collision or comprehensive coverage with no deductible whatever. Your big financial exposure is your liability if you are at fault and kill or maim someone, which is a very likely occurrence. Your next big financial exposure is if an uninsured or under insured driver kills or maims you or your passengers who most likely will be your family. Insurance sales folks sometimes do not tell you how little extra it costs to get very high liability coverage limits and matching un/under insured coverage. Why don't you folks check with the local trauma unit and get an idea how much a visit there costs and let them tell you how disabled for life some of the survivors are?It is sad to be killed or badly disabled, but doubly sad when you and your family are left destitute along with it. You can try to sue a broke person but an injury lawyer won't even take the case.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
How much are you going to get out of a person who loans a 91 Corola to someone?

No offense to anyone who loves their 91 Corola, but dang. I bet they are not eccentric millionaires.

Fix your pickup. Get a plumb bob, some heavy timbers, chains, bottle jacks and preferably a porta power.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whiptail

My girlfriend got hit by an uninsured illegal and her insurance(Geico) paid to repair her car with the UIM coverage.

Not the co. I'm with. That's the way it used to be for me too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.