Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
We are visiting my step daughter & she said she needs some good kitchen knives.. After using some of them she is right.. On a recent trip, I bought three Case knives, but haven't had the chance to use the.. Any quality knives that can be sharpened, not break the bank?

Molon Labe
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
We are visiting my step daughter & she said she needs some good kitchen knives.. After using some of them she is right.. On a recent trip, I bought three Case knives, but haven't had the chance to use the.. Any quality knives that can be sharpened, not break the bank?

Ebay for Katsura VG-10 blades. They sharpen easily, stay sharp an ungodly long time, are very durable and slice like gangbusters. The price is no more than most decent quality kitchen knives and the quality b
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

ts any non VG-10 blades.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My experience is that one has to spend quite a bit more money than Victorinox offerings to get appreciably more performance. I've heard many praise Dexter knives, but I've not worked with them myself.

An 8" or 10" Chef's Knife or Santoku & a boning knife would be a good start for her. The paring knife is an absolute gem, & just too cheap not to have around.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Henckels 4 Star set with butcher block. Bought a set for my little niece and her new hubby several years ago. Still going strong. She carved herself up pretty good right away. The learning curve on good knives is steep. grin

PS- if you get Henckels, don't waste your money on the steak knives. Their steak knives are great, but you don't need to spend the money there. She can steak knives anywhere. Spend the money on the good knives. Also, get the block that has the section on the bottom for a bunch of steak knives. She can put hers in there when she gets them.

This could be a good alternative to the 4 Stars. Doesn't say what model they are. If interested, I would email the guy. You (I) would want the bigger butcher block like this one, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-J-A-HENCKELS-13550-005-15-PIECE-KITCHEN-CUTLERY-KNIFE-SET-BLOCK-0513895-/222344054482?hash=item33c4bd06d2:g:H2oAAOSw-itXqpQa

PS- ebay, amazon, and the like are your friend.

Last edited by local_dirt; 05/16/17.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Decent steel and not break the bank? I'll second the recommendation for Victorinox.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Henckels 4 Star set with butcher block. Bought a set for my little niece and her new hubby several years ago. Still going strong. She carved herself up pretty good right away. The learning curve on good knives is steep. grin

PS- if you get Henckels, don't waste your money on the steak knives. Their steak knives are great, but you don't need to spend the money there. She can steak knives anywhere. Spend the money on the good knives. Also, get the block that has the section on the bottom for a bunch of steak knives. She can put hers in there when she gets them.

This could be a good alternative to the 4 Stars. Doesn't say what model they are. If interested, I would email the guy. You (I) would want the bigger butcher block like this one, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-J-A-HENCKELS-13550-005-15-PIECE-KITCHEN-CUTLERY-KNIFE-SET-BLOCK-0513895-/222344054482?hash=item33c4bd06d2:g:H2oAAOSw-itXqpQa

PS- ebay, amazon, and the like are your friend.

I don't care for what are generally called steak knives, being closer to steak saws with that serrated portion of the edge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Henckel professionals. They are about 25 years old. Great knives. I have a wustof chef knife. Its ok Not as heavy as the
Henckel. I tried to buy a second Henckel chef knife recently but was dissappointed when I compared it to my old one. The new one was not as heavy or thick. I returned it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Though it goes without saying, I'll go ahead & say it anyway: fit + feel are about as important as the steel. The actual user has to be comfortable with what they choose.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks !

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
You might consider also buying her a decent 16-18 ' steel for about $20. A few licks turn those crappy ones into decent cutting ones

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
never buy knives in sets. Pick the best for the task, and go with that. I have a mix of carbon steel, stainless, and different companies. Buying from these guys is a good idea

http://sabatieroutlet.com/

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just bought a new Wustoff Chefs knife with a 4.5" blade.

It's now my most used kitchen "chopper"

Good advice from Sam, as usual. Buy knives for use, and not as a set.

I have a mixed set of different shapes and sizes. All of high quality good steel that hold an edge well and re-sharpen easily.

Virgil B.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Japanese Kitchen Knife Set

Attached Images
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks!

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I could still find a "set" of Henckel 4 Stars like I bought my niece for her wedding gift a few years ago for $150, I'd get 5 of them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have an Imperial Mighty Oak set from the 1980's that was my grandmothers. USA made steel sharpens to a razors edge. Also holds it as good as any Cutco I've ever owned.

See them pop up on the bay every now and again.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the budget? $100, $300, $500?

I do a fair bit of cooking at home and find 90% of my cutting is done with an 8" chef's knife and a pair of victorinox paring knives. Add a fillet knife and bread knife and you're ~99% there. More important than the brand and if it's a wonder steel is if it fits the hand, the blade grind is proper for the task at hand and she know's what a sharp edge is and is willing to keep it sharp, and insists the blades are hand and not machine washed as the abrasive in dish washing detergent takes the edge right off a knife.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Stopped at Boscov's for a new lasagna pan a couple months ago....They had a knife display right next to the pans. Well, I was kinda tired of the mismatched, dull kitchen knives I was currently using.
I could sharpen them....and did, but couldn't get that junk steel anywhere near as sharp as my hunting knives.
So I added a $150 set of J.A. Henckels knives on top of the stinkin' 10 dollar lasagna pan. Couldn't be happier. These buggers are SHARP and hold an edge. I've only cut myself once...dicing up some American cheese and had a little stuck on the blade. It's a good thing that tongues heal quick.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.