Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I hope to get some advice from you back pack and mountain hunters. For the past year my feet have been killing me. The insteps feel like a horse stepped on them and the bottoms feel bruised. It's so bad I need to take ibuprofen daily.\
So far I've been to a podiatrist and gotten custom orthotics (not helpful) and dropped 12 % body weight (some improvement but I have a way to go yet). I spend my day standing on a concrete floor and I've tried all kinds of OTC shoe inserts without luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Doc Paul

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you stand in one place on a concrete floor, like in front of machinery? Could you put down an anti-fatigue mat, they really work..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When my feet started hurting, 20 years ago, couldn't walk on stream rocks bare footed, five years later I was told I was a diabetic. Watch that blood count. Next time you are in the Doc get a A1C , insist on one. That will give a history.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I do exercises for my feet. I do foot shortening, 1 leg balances and other things to help my feet. I also lift and train bare foot. Doing this has all but cured my foot pain. It sounds weird but it really works.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-strengthen-your-ankles

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might be peripheral neuropathy; can be diabetes related or autoimmune disorder. Also possibly arthritis. X-ray and nerve conduction test would show either if they are suspected.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what a timely thread, I'm in the same boat

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sometimes spend 12 hours a day on steel floors wearing steel toe boots. Good gel inserts help, but my feet still hurt.

What you really need to do is install anti fatigue mats

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I stand all geared up at a court house door. I'm having the same issues and I had them last year too. I use a 5 gallon bucket (with 3 gallons of water) with 2 frozen pop bottles in the water. I get my feet really cold and then let them warm up slowly. I then take a warm shower and go to bed. I also started taking Meloxicam (15mg) as an anti inflammatory before I go to bed. I wake up in the morning and after a few steps they limber up and I get to go back to the court house and do it all over again.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wear orthotics to correct a giant heel spur and my flat feet. Standing on an anti-fatigue mat actually hurts my feet as it creates an uneven surface.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a veterinarian and I usually spend the entire morning standing at a surgery table. I have always had fatigue mats down by the table. But the rest of the day I'm on my feet
either walking or standing in an exam room all with a wonderfully soft concrete floor.

I plan on talking to my doctor about this because diabetes runs in the family. I'll try working out bare footed now that it is above freezing in my garage.

Thanks again,
Paul

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Has anybody actually diagnosed your problem? Maybe see a good orthopedist?

Retired cat herder.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I require some really good arch support insoles. I like the Sof-Sol brand inserts...I use the high arch ones for me. The stores usually have a foot mapping device of some sort. I have used the Dr Scholl's before, using the mapping system to get the right "number." However, I prefer the Sof-Sol brand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can purchase an A1C test at the pharmacy for $30 or so.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a veterinarian and I usually spend the entire morning standing at a surgery table. I have always had fatigue mats down by the table. But the rest of the day I'm on my feet
either walking or standing in an exam room all with a wonderfully soft concrete floor.

I plan on talking to my doctor about this because diabetes runs in the family. I'll try working out bare footed now that it is above freezing in my garage.

Thanks again,
Paul

I see you are a smart man Doc. Yes genetics does play a big part of diabetics and if it has run in the family etc.
You are losing some weight, great, now what about stress factors at work?
Don't know your age but please get the A1C at least once a year when you have your're blood work done.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd find a GOOD orthopedic doc. Have never met a podiatrist that impressed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have a nicer x-ray machine than my podiatrist. Anyway, going to see the "real" doctor in 45 min. I'll ask about the A1c, etc.

Paul

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ariat boots cured mine after mutable shots of cortisone.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i am 69now, and at age 15 in a m/c wreck did the following:
right leg
crushed the ankle
broke the front lower leg bone
broke the back lower leg bone in two places
tried to stand up and pushed my ankle up where your knee normally is.
mageled the toe bones.
I have tried for years to explain that stuff to later quacks i have gone too. Scars showing even.
And still some screws in my leg.
They just don't get it
a ortho guy said well we can fuse your ankle. yeah sure.
it comes and goes, but i do use shoe inserts, good tennis shoes help, or good hiking type boots.
when it gets real bad i go to flexeril, and naproxin sodium.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
maybe not just insoles, but good quality shoes.

Your a doc, so it may not apply for your application, but Thorogood makes some good boots, and shoes I think.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
actually i have said to our family vet more than once, will she treat me too? I swear she is better with the dogs that the quack is with me.
I have diabetes, diagnosed in 95, but have never really had neuopathy. But bad feet is bad feet when you gots to stand on them.
One thing the ortho guy did say was unlike hip or knee replacements, not so much for feet ankles.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.