Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

I caught this guy under the lid of my propane tank.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am powerful happy I don't have to worry about those kind of snakes under my propane tank.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jake NoShoulders and I don't get along. Thankfully I don't have to deal with the bastids here.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Well, ive heard of snakes scaring the crap out of people but not this. You must be pretty scarey, Pappy.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image]

I caught this guy under the lid of my propane tank.

What kind of snake is that?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A big copperhead!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Arkansas one time my dad and I found a big copperhead under the lid on our 1000 gal propane tank. We were checking the tank and getting it ready to be filled for the winter. The snake was just laying in there coiled around the gauges and controls. He was probably 3 to 4 foot long and that size is deadly.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Snake...relax and KILL all of em

Snakes are good - even most of the bad ones. Well, I do live in Alaska, but I grew up Outside.... Yeah, snake poop/pee stinks - ask me how I know!

It's humans I have problems with, and not a one of them has ever physically crapped/peed on me - except for my sons..... smile

I always liked what we called "puff-adders". Might have been hog-nosed, for all I know. Have no idea what they really were. when vulnerable, they would roll over as if "dead". Roll them over right side up, and they would roll over belly side up. Time after time.

They were, BY DAMNED, dead!!!! smile

Last edited by las; 05/20/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I handled this one last week.

My preferred way of handling them now. wink

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Caught this in my neighbors flower basket sitting on her front porch.

[Linked Image]

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Luckily the only poisonous snake found in Idaho is the Western Rattler, AKA Prairie Rattler. We have lots of garter snakes and a few bull snakes around here and I let them be. They eat a lot of crawly things.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Snakes don't like to be dangled. You would panic too if somebody picked you up by the neck and let your body dangle. If you grab one behind the head, always support the heavy part of the body with your other hand and they calm down quickly.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this guy turned up on my front porch one evening. He was quite pissy and would strike at you if you were within 4 feet of him. I had to look him up and eventually concluded it was a Texas brown snake. Max size 10-12 inches, and that's about how big this guy was.

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My little Chinese bride has been seeing a snake around the yard of late, a fair-sized garter snake. I've been telling her not to worry, he's a good snake to have around and that he won't bother her.

This morning, he showed up while we walked around the yard and I ran over and grabbed him so she could get a good look. While I was trying to get her to come closer, I suddenly got a whiff of something awful. Looked down and the bast*rd had pooped all over my hands. What a stink!

None of the other snakes I've picked up, mostly black rat snakes, have done that to me. Don't know if that's a good defense against predators, but it's sure a good one against this old fat man.

The old Rocker Alice Cooper used to do a stage act where he'd walk around with a good sized (8-9 feet) albino python on his shoulders. One night on stage the snake chit on him, and the smell was so bad he had to fight to keep from throwing up. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by stxhunter
lot of snakes use the poop as a defense mechanism.

This ^^^^ Always try to grab as close to the head as possible and let the rest hang down. A 4 to 5ft black snake can put out a good bit of stench when so inclined...

If you're saying to just grab behind the head and let the tail hand down and do what it wants, that's a big negatory. I abandoned my normal method of grabbing a snake behind the head with one hand, while holding the tail with the other, just ONE time. Never again. A big black snake with an uncontrolled tail will immediately wrap around your arm and they can squeeze like a 1 ton hydraulic vise. I found out a big snake has a lot of stamina and the only way to get them to stop is to get some help to get them off your arm.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I run into a poisonous snake I usually kill them. Non poisonous I leave alone. A couple of years ago a buddy of mine called me to come get a snake behind his office. It was a king snake coiled up on a bush outside the back windows and was upsetting his female employees. I walked over and picked it up and could hear the women screaming in the office. I took it home and let it go in the woods behind the house. A few days later my wife went out to light the grill and she came back in mad as a hornet. The king snake had gotten up in the bottom of the gas grill and after she lit it he was flopping all over trying to get out up through the grates instead of going out the bottom. Needless to say I got a lecture.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Bigd7378, 35, big_g270, 7mm_Loco, blackhawk44, 7 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,446
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.