Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
American Standard Champion 4 -1.6 gal right height with elongated bowl. 4" flush valve from tank is largest on the market. A whole bunch of water at one time to flush your Jeff O down and through the pipe.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just go to any store that toilets and read the specs ,some have bigger openings in them.

bigger hole bigger turd.

Last edited by srwshooter; 05/21/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since entering puberty, I've been afflicted with a bad case of monster turds. It was so bad my father gave me my own plunger for my 13th birthday. I passed this trait on to my sons. In a world of .22 LR toilets, we're pinching 12 GA ammo into the chamber. My #3 son actually killed a 40 yr old American Standard. No amount of plunging would get it to work. I finally had to replace it.

When I did, I remembered what happened to my Dad. I grew up as the son of a landlord. Dad had stopped building houses and apartment buildings and spent the latter half of his working life maintaining a bunch of apartment buildings scattered around town. At 14 he brought me into the business and I was the maintenance man for his buildings until I was about 22. Dad built all these properties in the early to mid-50's. They all had American Standard toilets. That in itself is kind of funny, because he had a brief fling with one of the Kohler heiresses about that time. I never did get all the details. Anyhow, about 27 years into the life of the buildings, the toilets started to give up the ghost and we had to replace them. At first, Dad was buying American Standard replacements, and they were pricey. Finally one day a guy suggested the cheap $70 toilets made in Mexico. Dad bought a couple and our love affair with cheap Mexican vitreous began. We kept 5 in in the storerooms at all times. I got good at replacing toilets so we did not have to call in a plumber. We never had one fail.

When #3 killed an American Standard about a decade ago, I remembered the cheap Mexican toilets. I forget if it was Lowes or Home Depot, but they had a cheap toilet from Glacier Bay for about $90. I put it in. No problems. Also it clogs a lot less than the old American Standard, even though the new one is only a 1.6 Gal job. I've since put one in at Deer Camp.

My point is this: You don't need to go expensive to get good, and even a bunch of Monster Dumpers like us can live happily on a cheap toilet. Nowadays you've got a 3-to-1 price differential between the top-end and the bottom. So far, I've been happy at the bottom.

One other tip for all you monster dumpers:

Dad must have really had a bum time with that Kohler heiress, because he bought American Standard for all his houses too. I'm living in the last one he built. The ballcock died on the one in his bathroom last summer, and china is this funky green color that goes with the decor a lot better than white. I took a chance on a Danco Hydroright ballcock:

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9BNGU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a handle that allows you to flush a little for #1 and give the full load for #2. It took me some time to get it tuned properly, but I've been very happy with the results. I found that I could set it to use less water than before for #2 flushes and still get fewer plug-ups. The #1 flushes just barely go down, but they use about 1.5 gallons less water. It's all adjustable, so you can tune it to your bum and your tank. I'm happy with mine. I'm going to use these as replacements for all my American Standards as the old Mansfield ballcocks come up for maintenance.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Get a tall Mansfield. The one with the double flush. For water you use only 1/2 the tank and for waste you hold the handle down for a second longer and you get the full flush. Saves a lot of water and flushes quickly. Around $200, but well worth it. When your knees get bad you will appreciate the extra height.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Just go to the local showroom and test drive a few.

People must do this. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and notice how high up in the racks they have the commodes displayed. Ya need binos to see 'em and no way you're looking in the tank without doing some climbing.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
They like to flush golf ball with them. I don't need to flush golf balls.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
We have an American Standard Cadet 3. Not an expensive one, $170 at Lowes, have had it 8 years and pluneed it once or twice. No idea why it ever needed plunged, but with two young kids and a wife....... probably best I don't know.

+1 on the 2 Cadet 3 dual flush I installed when remodeling the bathrooms

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post!

TFF!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Democrat Party Headquarters!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Seriously though, the Mansfield toilets with 3" flush valves will flush about anything you throw at(or more accurately in) them and they are still made in the USA.

Just make sure you get the 3" valve model and 1.6gal flush and you are good. Just put 2 of them in my house a couple months ago...zero issues.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Seriously though, the Mansfield toilets with 3" flush valves will flush about anything you throw at(or more accurately in) them and they are still made in the USA.

Just make sure you get the 3" valve model and 1.6gal flush and you are good. Just put 2 of them in my house a couple months ago...zero issues.

The MAGA Throne!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Glacier Bay from HD, we have 2, seldom have any problems, they have a straight through shot that seems to help. The seat that comes with the "kit" is not too good, but works. As for the possibility of problems further down the line, use septic tank stuff, even if you are on a regular sewer, be aware that bleach will kill the enzymes and bacteria, though. And maybe you have roots in the line--copper sulfate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TMI..deleted

Last edited by GeoW; 05/21/17.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just my opinion. If your water is metered, get one of the "water-savers" and buy a good plunger. If it ain't metered, buy one of them big sob's with the seat belts.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Get a Toto Drake and like the rest of us you'll be recommending Toto to anyone who asks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Toto at home but at my age, it's "Any Port In A Storm"

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

My only requirement for the new one is that it can handle a man sized turd.

Sounds like you're looking for a Ferguson toilet, the King of Bowls.

LOL.....that was the Ferguson 3000 IIRC...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for Glacier Bay duo-flush, can't believe they are only around $120.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,174 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.