-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hornady one shot case lube for realease agent.

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Devcon aluminum and Brownells release spray

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using the last bit of Micro Bed that I have on hand. As far as epoxy kits specifically marketed to rifle loonies and smiths, it was the best IMO. I have some Hobby Poxy 2 I can fall back on, and some powdered aluminum to add to the mix. I've used it before and the stuff is a bit runny, but it'll harden nicely.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Score high Pro Bed 2000 , I live in Albuquerque and go pick it up at his shop, it is the best product I've used period . I Bed 30 a year at least. You can even mill it!

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used acraglass gel on numerous rifles with good results but on the last rifle i bedded i was out of acraglass and used regular JB weld with Hornady One Shot case lube as a release agent. It worked well and I would use it again.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to use steel bed from Brownells. Now I use standard JB Weld on the last 15-20 and it works very well for a good price.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bella1
Score high Pro Bed 2000 , I live in Albuquerque and go pick it up at his shop, it is the best product I've used period . I Bed 30 a year at least. You can even mill it!

Please name an epoxy you cannot mill...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always run a wrap of masking tape around the barrel at the forend of the stock to make sure the barrel stays centered in the channel. Keeps it free floated too.

Last edited by lazydrifter; 05/03/17.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would go with the one that has the most amount of working time and lets you bed your action at your leisure. So far Probed has the most amount of working time and it is not even close , not to mention that it is noncritical when mixing. Great Stuff

:

You could not give me Acraglass or Acraglass Gel

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'm using the last bit of Micro Bed that I have on hand. As far as epoxy kits specifically marketed to rifle loonies and smiths, it was the best IMO. I have some Hobby Poxy 2 I can fall back on, and some powdered aluminum to add to the mix. I've used it before and the stuff is a bit runny, but it'll harden nicely.

That stuff worked great. Too bad it's no longer available frown

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by old_willys
I am thinking of bedding the recoil lug, should I also bed the entire action?

Yes

How far do you up the barrel do you go?

Not necessary, but if you do, no farther than an inch or so.

Whats your preferred bedding compound, release agent?

Acraglas GEL (green box). Lots of work time, sets up slowly, can be dyed brown or black. I use Johnson's Paste Wax because it works great and I had a can when I did my first job. Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish also works and is cheaper.

Do you at a pressure point at the end?

No. IMO pressure points are a factory kludge around poor bedding.

Any tips for a first timer?

Use at least two light coats of release agent to be sure it gets everywhere. Be on the lookout for areas where epoxy can make a "hook" to lock the action in. Bed the REAR of the recoil lug, not the front, sides or bottom. It makes the action much easier to remove and you don't want any chance of the action teetering on the lug. Let is rest on the bottom of the action.

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Acraglass jel is forgiving and if you follow the instructions pretty fool proof. I've tried several and am going to use Marine Tex on my next one.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Marine Tex is favored by most pro's including McMillan and the military units that build the upper end tactical and competition rifles they use. Kiwi or a good paste wax makes a great release agent. Devcon works in a pinch but it doesn't have the compressive strength of Marine Tex gray. I think they like it mostly because it has a high tech sounding name. Avoid any release agents that leave anything visible on the surface or it will show up in the bedding. For precise results with Marine Tex we use a gram scale and mix it by weight. When mixing by weight, the ratio is 6.3 parts resin to 1 part hardener. I'm a stickler for precision in everything I do.

Old Willys, The bedding shown in your picture looks pretty good. I would test it with a dial indicator to see if it's stress free. Place the complete rifle horizontal in a padded vise by the barrel upside down. Stick your indicator base on the barrel and your indicator tip on the stock near the swivel stud and zero it.

[Linked Image]

Loosen the front action screw and it moves less than 1/2 a thousandths (.0005) then I would leave it alone. Bedding done correctly will not move at all. We check ours with a 1/10 indicator and they rarely move more than a 10th (.0001") if at all.

To answer your other questions I prefer the barrel fully free floated from the lug forward.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Devcon markets dozens of epoxy mixes... some have quite a bit higher compressive strength than MarineTex.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 05/13/17.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here are some of the particulars for the common Devcons.

Aluminum 10610 (8,420#), Cured Shrinkage .0008 in./in. -- $61
Steel 10110 (8,260#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0006 in./in. -- $44
FasMetal 10780 (12,700#) Cured Shrinkage .0093 in./in. -- $85
Wear Resistant Putty (WR-2) 11410 (9,800#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0005 in./in. -- $62
Ceramic Repair 11700 (12,700#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0022 in./in.-- 3 pound pack is $169
Bronze 10260 (8,540#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0010 in./in. -- $95
Stainless 10270 (8,400#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0010 in./in.-- $83
Titanium 10760 (15,200#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0010 in./in. -- $120

MarineTex Gray (13,000#) Cured Shrinkage reported to be 0.0001 in./in -- 12 ounce can $35

Most of the comparable strength epoxies are not suitable due to shrinkage, chemical susceptibility or cost. The only one of those that exceed Marine Tex (13,000#) is the Titanium mix at (15.200#) but still shrinks a bit more than MarineTex. Applied thin it really isn't an issue. It is a pain to use and spoils in the can in just a couple months. The working time is very short and it's really stiff. It is $120 a can.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used different bedding kits. Only a couple of times I've had issues. Both were with Brownells release agent. Though many times it's been ok too. Now I use car wax. The issue I've had with Brownells release agent was that it didn't release everywhere. Maybe they just had a bad batch, I don't know. I use acetone to clean the barreled action before I add a release agent (after it is thoroughly dry).
I like gel best because it's easy.

Other beginner tips if there's any bedding material oozing out because you've used too much clean it up before it hardens.
If you're bedding to a plastic or man made material be sure that the surface is clean and rough.
If you're bedding to wood, be sure the wood is clean and nothing but bare clean wood, unless you want to add steel screws (I've never)
I like to 'gouge' out behind the recoil lug so that much of the recoil area is bedding material. Rough is your friend.
I will sometimes put electrician's tape on the barrel from about 2" or 3" in front of the recoil lug to the end of the forearm. Then bed the entire fire arm. The electrician tape is removed and the barrel is free floating. This will seal the stock and make it stiffer. - depending on the application. Otherwise per advice on 24, I will coat the barrel channel with spar varnish.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bugger
I've used different bedding kits. Only a couple of times I've had issues. Both were with Brownells release agent. Though many times it's been ok too. Now I use car wax. The issue I've had with Brownells release agent was that it didn't release everywhere. Maybe they just had a bad batch, I don't know. I use acetone to clean the barreled action before I add a release agent (after it is thoroughly dry).
I like gel best because it's easy.

Other beginner tips if there's any bedding material oozing out because you've used too much clean it up before it hardens.
If you're bedding to a plastic or man made material be sure that the surface is clean and rough.
If you're bedding to wood, be sure the wood is clean and nothing but bare clean wood, unless you want to add steel screws (I've never)
I like to 'gouge' out behind the recoil lug so that much of the recoil area is bedding material. Rough is your friend.
I will sometimes put electrician's tape on the barrel from about 2" or 3" in front of the recoil lug to the end of the forearm. Then bed the entire fire arm. The electrician tape is removed and the barrel is free floating. This will seal the stock and make it stiffer. - depending on the application. Otherwise per advice on 24, I will coat the barrel channel with spar varnish.

Several points should be addressed here...

Acetone is used to clean surfaces you want to stick to the matrix agent whether it be epoxy or whatever... Why degrease something to apply an agent to keep it from sticking? It reminds me of nurses waking up patients to administer a sleeping pill???

NEVER use car wax as a release agent!!!!!!!!!!! It has a ton of silicone in it and it is very difficult to get rid of if you ever do any finishing/refinishing. Fisheyes are a major pain.

Barrel channels should be sealed EXACTLY the same as the finish on the rest of the stock.Spar varnish is a wonderful finish but if it is different from the rest of the stock it can and will cause issues. It has been addressed repeatedly here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Here are some of the particulars for the common Devcons.

Aluminum 10610 (8,420#), Cured Shrinkage .0008 in./in. -- $61
Steel 10110 (8,260#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0006 in./in. -- $44
FasMetal 10780 (12,700#) Cured Shrinkage .0093 in./in. -- $85
Wear Resistant Putty (WR-2) 11410 (9,800#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0005 in./in. -- $62
Ceramic Repair 11700 (12,700#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0022 in./in.-- 3 pound pack is $169
Bronze 10260 (8,540#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0010 in./in. -- $95
Stainless 10270 (8,400#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0010 in./in.-- $83
Titanium 10760 (15,200#) Cured Shrinkage 0.0010 in./in. -- $120

MarineTex Gray (13,000#) Cured Shrinkage reported to be 0.0001 in./in -- 12 ounce can $35

Most of the comparable strength epoxies are not suitable due to shrinkage, chemical susceptibility or cost. The only one of those that exceed Marine Tex (13,000#) is the Titanium mix at (15.200#) but still shrinks a bit more than MarineTex. Applied thin it really isn't an issue. It is a pain to use and spoils in the can in just a couple months. The working time is very short and it's really stiff. It is $120 a can.

You work in measurements of ten thousandths?

You listed the commercial quick-cure formula details, why not use the industrial formula numbers? Hint, they are very similar to MarineTex and all are serious overkill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Several points should be addressed here...

Acetone is used to clean surfaces you want to stick to the matrix agent whether it be epoxy or whatever... Why degrease something to apply an agent to keep it from sticking? It reminds me of nurses waking up patients to administer a sleeping pill???

NEVER use car wax as a release agent!!!!!!!!!!! It has a ton of silicone in it and it is very difficult to get rid of if you ever do any finishing/refinishing. Fisheyes are a major pain.

Barrel channels should be sealed EXACTLY the same as the finish on the rest of the stock.Spar varnish is a wonderful finish but if it is different from the rest of the stock it can and will cause issues. It has been addressed repeatedly here...

Lot of respect for you Sitka, BUT I'll disagree with you.

1. I'm bedding a Mauser98 barreled action. The rceiver had dirt, grease and gunk in the areas of crevices- behind the recoil lug etc.

This 'material' need d to be removed or there could have been other areas that would take the brunt of the recoil.

2. I use a lot of 'release' agents. The only release agent I've ever had trouble with is Brownells blue release agent that comes in their kit.
Talk about fish eyes....

3. I used to finish my stocks with boiled linseed oil. The barrel channel got the same treatment. I put on many many coats.

There's been a lot of poo hooing regarding oil finishes. I stopped using linseed oil, Tru-oil etc. due to this critique.

I'm not sure that I'm right on this one, but I've followed advice from several people on the campfire that recommended Spar Varnish in the barrel channel.

Question: "If you were bedding a 700 stock or other factory stock with an opened up barrel channel, what would you use?"

I'm bedding this Mauser action in a fiberglass stock. I'll paint the stock. Would you be ok with Spar Varnish in the barrel with this?"

On the next wood stock (last one a couple of months ago too) I'll do I plan on sealing the stock with Spar Varnish and finishing with a rubbed oil finish. I think that Spar Varnish without the oil would work fine. Ok with you?

Finally, it's difficult to address every scenario in a short reply.

BTW, I used Hornady's case spray 'One Shot' for a release agent this last time. It worked well.

I appreciate your reply and I don't mean to be condescending or critical. I've been bedding stocks since the early 60's, but I do not know as much as many on the fire, probably that includes you Sitka Deer.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I understand removing chunks of dirt and hard grease before bedding, but I would not characterize that as "degreasing" so much as cleaning it.

I have seen fisheyes many times and have used Accraglass release agent quite a bit, especially a number of years ago, but I do not recall ever seeing them when using Accraglass. I do know car wax is horrible for them.

Oil finishes are just fine when used where and when they make sense and are applied properly and treated appropriately.

Spar varnish is another very good finish type... but the key to the barrel channel is getting the channel sealed just like the rest of the stock. If the stock is sealed poorly, (for example with an oil finish and the channel has a different but good coat of spar varnish) atmospheric water will move in and out of the stock more readily than the barrel channel. Most foreends are cut with rising grain and with added water can and will bend into the barrel as the outside swells. The problem is differential absorption and you can seal the barrel channel too well.

Try to keep the finish as close to the same as possible.

Sealing a fiberglass stock is best done with epoxy if the gel coat has been cut through.

I did not bed my first stock until 1965.

ETA: No insult taken nor intended.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 05/29/17.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.