Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I need to rent a stump grinder to take out about a dozen stumps, none bigger than 10 to 12" wide. The local rental place has a Toro STX-26. Does anyone know how long it takes to remove a 10 to 12" stump with one of those? I need to figure out how much time to allow for the job.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How tall are the stumps?

That may have some bearing.

As well as what kind of tree.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have never done one myself, but I have had it done (and watched) many times. With that size machine, a half hour per stump should be adequate.

If you can move some grindings as you go, it would help make sure you get below the dirt line. That has been my biggest issue with contractors. They want to quit too soon.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have never done one myself, but I have had it done (and watched) many times. With that size machine, a half hour per stump should be adequate.

If you can move some grindings as you go, it would help make sure you get below the dirt line. That has been my biggest issue with contractors. They want to quit too soon.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good chainsaw can save you a lot of time.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DryPowder

And knowing how to use it. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
you're going to be better off with a Rayco or Vermeer stump grinder. I'm not convinced the Toro has enough ass to do the job.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 05/21/17. Reason: spelling

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Rented a large Vermeer a few years back, 5 minutes per 24 inch stump...the machine was incredible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I assumed he knew the secret was to use a sawing motion as he run it.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yep. horsepower is a really big factor. had a contractor for the local utility grind some stumps for me back in the spring. they were in and out and gone. three crabapple stumps didn't even exercise the machine. but one is impressed when power is brought to bear.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I assumed he knew the secret was to use a sawing motion as he run it.

When it comes to stumps the key is to keep the chain out of the f'n dirt. Unless you're going to dig down and blast the stump free of dirt with a pressure washer, a chainsaw might not save you much time and can ruin chains in short order.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't use my chainsaw on these. 2 of them are Russian Olive. That stuff is made of titanium once its dried. The rest are mostly fruit trees of various types. They can get pretty hard.
There might be better machines than the Toro but that's what's available to rent here.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do yourself a favor. Cut the trees off at about 4ft. Rent a cat or a tractor and bump the stumps out of the ground and have them hauled off or you burn. You can thank me later.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I wouldn't use my chainsaw on these. 2 of them are Russian Olive. That stuff is made of titanium once its dried. The rest are mostly fruit trees of various types. They can get pretty hard.
There might be better machines than the Toro but that's what's available to rent here.

I'll take the less than ideal Toro over digging by hand and using an axe to cut the root ball, been there done that. Sounds like roughly a full days work with the toro for a dozen stumps.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Most of these are in my orchard where old fruit trees have been removed. The stumps are mostly under 6" high. I need to get them down so I can' mow over them. A couple, though, are in my lawn and I want them gone. I need to rent the grinder for those so I'll do them all while I have it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends if the blades are sharp. Had a guy do some for me 40-50, oops need s few more rented a grinder, geez a Pete

I could have scrubbed harder with my toothbrush

Took it back within an hour, gimme my money back pls

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cut them off as low as you can, get the most power grinder you can.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can't fool with those stumps with a chain saw. Dirt and rocks will destroy a chainsaw chain in short order.
What you need to do is to cut the stump off as close to the ground as possible. Clean all dirt and rocks away from that trunk prior to cutting!
You should be able to cut the stump 2 inches above the ground, maybe 4 inches.

I rented a stump grinder ten years ago, don't know what kind it was but it was great. I ground 8 locust stumps, about 12 inches each, and it just ate them up and turned into sawdust. I ground them 4 inches below ground level. Took about 15 minutes for one stump.
Also did some pine and oak stumps. Great machine wish I could tell you what make and model.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I need to rent a stump grinder to take out about a dozen stumps, none bigger than 10 to 12" wide. The local rental place has a Toro STX-26. Does anyone know how long it takes to remove a 10 to 12" stump with one of those? I need to figure out how much time to allow for the job.

Is there a minimum time you can rent it for? What is your drive time? I ground up a 12 incher in about 20 minutes a few years ago.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

I would consider it well worth the price of a saw chain to get the stumps cut off at the ground before grind8ng.

I cut black locust all the time for fence posts. Not many things get harder than an old dry locust post. I always have a couple of nearly used up chains reserved for rough duty. I resharpen as needed, and throw em away when the teeth start breaking off in the hard wood.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 35, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,192 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,214
Posts18,524,304
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.