Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tzone
I have 'Ol Betty Lou, she is da one. An Ak-57, uzi, radar, triple barreled, double scoped, heeeeeeat seeking shotgun. And I'm going to fire it with my big toe.

We'll miss you around here.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm seriously considering using my .22 K-hornet on Montana mule deer this year.

Used a .204 a few years ago and wouldn't go any smaller than that with the 45 grain hornady...but have heard enough good reports of the 35 VMax at K-horn speeds that I think I may give it a go...lord knows they're HELL on coyotes...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most likely will give the vanilla .223 a whirl again this year for Wyoming mule deer and antelope.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
yes with a rar in 223 and winchester 64gr power points, second time at this was with a mauser 98 chambered for the 220 swift with a 60 gr hornady spitzer

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mooshoo
yes with a rar in 223 and winchester 64gr power points,

Proven deer killing combo right there.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My 7mm-08 for antelope 🤔

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've killed numerous deer with .22 LR, .22 Mag. and 5mm Remington magnum rimfire. Killing them with a .223 is no "stunt" at all. Some of the youngsters/poachers hereabouts have been killing the hell out of them with .17 HMR's.

I'd use 22lr in a heartbeat if it was not illegal to do so.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
.530 Patched RB from a 54 Hawken.

Barely enough gun for deer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Most kids & poachers could give a hoot about a couple crippled deer☠️

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, not sure what it indicates about the poster there.....

OTOH a 22lr hp in the lungs or a solid in the head has killed so many pigs for me I don't have a clue as to actual numbers, probably not a lot more than a hundred but I bet at least that many. Can't say that I recall loosing a pig to a 22lr either. Can recall having a few walk away while waiting on the right shot though... which doesn't bother me in the least.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I knew a real poacher.. He shot a lot of deer w/ the 22lr.. But he said I loose one once in awhile.. he had just shot a nice 10 point he said, and it got away.. no remorse what so ever..

495, in your state much game is shot over bait.. A perfect shot can be made, if I remember correctly you also have your own place.. that does make a difference..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
WTF is a "real poacher" ? I've known a bunch of poachers. They all seemed pretty damned real to me and yes, they lose one once in awhile just like "real hunters" do.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I knew a real poacher.. He shot a lot of deer w/ the 22lr.. But he said I loose one once in awhile.. he had just shot a nice 10 point he said, and it got away.. no remorse what so ever..

495, in your state much game is shot over bait.. A perfect shot can be made, if I remember correctly you also have your own place.. that does make a difference..

I do hear a lot of game is taken over bait around the country... YMMV.

I believe I've said before pick your round, pick your shot... if you have to take ANY shot presented I"m not picking a 22lr... that said you may not realize exactly how deadly a 22 is....

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am sure blackheart you know real poachers, this guy killed over 1000 deer in the years I knew him, but I am sure you know someone w/ more kills.. you always do..

495, I know how deadly a .22 is, but I also know how weak it can be.. I seldom use it on big game, since I have been an adult.. But I have shot thousands of varmints w/ .22's.. So I understand it's killing power & lack of the same.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I am sure blackheart you know real poachers, this guy killed over 1000 deer in the years I knew him, but I am sure you know someone w/ more kills.. you always do...

GFY you rotten little prick. I know one who killed 14 in a weekend a couple years ago with a 17 HMR. Poaching is a family tradition passed down from generation to generation around here. I've lived here all my life so yeah, I've known a bunch. In fact, there's a whole family that's well known for their poaching just up the road from me here. My ex's father, grandfather and uncles were all pretty active in it too. Like it or not, it's a pretty accepted practice in some rural areas and this area has been well known for it for a long time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
14 in a weekend should be under the jail. I'd hate to catch someone like that, I ain't sure how I'd handle a situation like that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
14 in a weekend should be under the jail. I'd hate to catch someone like that, I ain't sure how I'd handle a situation like that.
I got to know him through work years ago. Always cheerful and willing and eager to help out a friend. Moreso than anyone else I've ever known. Hadn't known him long when I remarked that I had to go pick up a wishing well after work that I'd bought as a birthday present for my wife. The problem being, it was a big one and heavy and the guy I bought it from was in a wheelchair and couldn't help me load it. He instantly said he was free after work and would be glad to help. Absolutely refused to take any payment for it. Another time he quickly offered to come on a weekend and help me build a split rail fence along my driveway, again "you don't need to pay me for it, we're friends" came out as fast as the offer. He lives about 50 miles North of me and doesn't do any of his poaching near here so it frankly doesn't bother me a bit. Then again, I was born and raised and have lived with and around a bunch of poor, backwoods, hillbilly poachers all my life so it's nothing new or out of the ordinary to me.Most of them have been damn nice folks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Folks can be nice, but when you are shooting that number of animlas, you are raping the environment. No one would shoot all their cows or goats etc... This is the kind of stuff that can really hurt a herd, especially if its questionable to start with.

A couple for the family is one thing... 14 in a weekend.... might be a nice guy, I've zero respect for that type nor would hang around that type of person even if I needed help.

I've got a number of friends here that have never poached. And they too come whenever you call, free help, thats the way it is in the country, we run when they call. Poaching need not be involved.

YMMV. Have a great weekend.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Folks can be nice, but when you are shooting that number of animlas, you are raping the environment. No one would shoot all their cows or goats etc... This is the kind of stuff that can really hurt a herd, especially if its questionable to start with.
Yeah, that's why many states, including many areas of this one are populated above their natural carrying capacity to the point they're destroying their habitat. Many "locals" here {as opposed to the non resident hunting camp owners, of which there are many} don't think of deer as livestock or trophies to be managed but as a wild, natural resource to be harvested as needed. He shoots as many as he does because he is supplying several households of family members who can no longer hunt for themselves.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You sure paint with a broad brush there rost. I once helped cull whitetail does from a place that had 300 to kill, according to TP&W biologists under their MLD program. I actually killed 11 in one day, 17 in that 2 day weekend. The Hunters for the Hungry program took them all and was glad to get them, as they had willing and eager recipients for the meat. I don't see much wrong with that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 80 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.