Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,664 of 1,842 1 2 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1841 1842
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congrartulations on the new grand baby.I'm all the way up into the great grand parent plateau now.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Congrats Grandpa!

Boy the "old time" names are sure back in force aren't they? The names of our grandparents, great grandparents are back in style and I like it.

A few names for the new critter in our family will be more classic names as well....and it's a girl. smile

How's things going Tom-Momma doing okay?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
Congrartulations on the new grand baby.I'm all the way up into the great grand parent plateau now.

Stan in SC
Thanks Stan. She's a cutie. Of course, she's got jaundice right now, but this too will pass. Beautiful head of dark hair on the little lass. Much to grandma's chagrin, I'm all ready looking at rifles for her. Just can't get a kid's battery of hunting guns started too early you know.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Congrats Grandpa!

Boy the "old time" names are sure back in force aren't they? The names of our grandparents, great grandparents are back in style and I like it.

A few names for the new critter in our family will be more classic names as well....and it's a girl. smile

How's things going Tom-Momma doing okay?

She's OK. Sick in the morning still but she's an OB nurse so nothing phases her. I'd be rolling on the ground bitching about it. She just goes on about her day!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By the way guys-I'm officially an old fart now. Looking for a 99 chambered for .243 to give her before my kid goes and gets her an AR or some such thing.

Congrats grandpa! We have 4 now; little treasures for sure. Heads up I just read a post by a fellow that has a 99 243 he may be sell. His name is Bill Glueck; earlier today he posted on the Facebook Savage 99 Collectors group asking advice on best place/method to sell.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
^^I like that^^

I'll be putting a scope on mine this year for sure.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sweet! Old bats like me that can't see very well can use a scope.
I'm in for sure on this deal!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a .54 Hawkins I've been lugging around for a couple decades now. I hope I can finally kill a deer with the danged thing this fall so I can put it away and get a decent inline and scope it. I'm a stubborn old cuss, that the Hawkins will continue to get dirty till it kills something.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Googling what base and rings fit my CVA Optima right now.....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe I have set of rings and bases for you goalie.
That would give me a chance to bring your dies back.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy
I believe I have set of rings and bases for you goalie.
That would give me a chance to bring your dies back.

I completely forgot about the dies. You can have them if you want, and I will take you up on the rings.
wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had #175 bases on my CVA Hunter which I replaced with a Duramount one piece mount. If that will fit your Optima then you are most welcome to them.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like the idea of the option of a scope. I'm not sure if I'll do it though. I may...but I LOVE the way my BP carries with the open sights. I do have horrible vision though. But I'm capable of laying in 5 shots into a 3" circle at 75 yards the way it sits. Is that something to brag about? Absolutely not, but I've only shot 2 deer further than that.

On the other hand. Last year, during BP season, I had a chance at a doe about 100 yards away and I wasn't comfortable with that shot. With a scope, I'd have been able to see an opening I'm sure and made the shot. I will also say, up to that point, I'd never even seen a deer while BP hunting, so that wasn't easy to lay off. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the idea of the option of a scope. I'm not sure if I'll do it though. I may...but I LOVE the way my BP carries with the open sights. I do have horrible vision though. But I'm capable of laying in 5 shots into a 3" circle at 75 yards the way it sits. Is that something to brag about? Absolutely not, but I've only shot 2 deer further than that.

On the other hand. Last year, during BP season, I had a chance at a doe about 100 yards away and I wasn't comfortable with that shot. With a scope, I'd have been able to see an opening I'm sure and made the shot. I will also say, up to that point, I'd never even seen a deer while BP hunting, so that wasn't easy to lay off. grin

Almost all of my BP deer have been within 30 yards. I've seen a lot out at 90-100ish that I didn't have good shots at, but might have with a scope. The irons cover too much at that distance for me to feel good about shots at living animals through small windows of opportunity. My buck last rifle season was probably 50 yards, but I had to shoot when it walked between two trees. I wasn't going to get another shot other than through thick stuff, and I never would have been able to see everything well enough to time it with the irons on my BP rifles.

As I get older, the scope greatly increases my "comfort zone" for a shot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My .50 TC Encore with a 3 X 9 Luepy does well at 100 yards using 240gr Hornady sabots with 777. My 3 shot groups last year were around 2" @ 100yds, Longest kill with it to date is 115yds. I wouldn't have taken the shot with open sights. You guys in The Land of 10,000 Lakes are going to like the glass come frontstuffer season.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I may get one just because my eyes are so bad. But I sure like carrying the gun with no scope on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So guys, what do I want to get in the way of a modern in-line that will accept a scope? It's got to be lightweight and easy to use and work on. Nothing that's going to be hard to find scope bases for either. Would like to stay between $300-$400. My son bought a little entry level CVA Buckhorn, and it's so easy to use, it all most feels like cheating.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So guys, what do I want to get in the way of a modern in-line that will accept a scope? It's got to be lightweight and easy to use and work on. Nothing that's going to be hard to find scope bases for either. Would like to stay between $300-$400. My son bought a little entry level CVA Buckhorn, and it's so easy to use, it all most feels like cheating.

I used a Knight for a long time. I just got a CVA Optima and really like how easy it is to clean,and how the ignition is protected from the elements. The trigger is nice. It also shoots pretty well with the fiber-optic irons it came with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 2 CVA elk horn rifles with 2 pyrodex pellets, shotgun primer ignition, harvaster crush rib sabots and 300 grain XTP hollow point pistol bullets. On one of my ML I have a 1x sightron S2 scope, the other I have open sights. I tend to prefer the fiber optic open sights myself, although in tight quarters the scope is nice for quick shots or treestand hunting. I picked mine up used from gunbroker for less than $100 shipped and both have killed deer accurately to 100 yards plus. I like the bolt action style because it protects the primer and is easy to just click the safety off and shoot rather than cock it each time when you're going to shoot.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 1,664 of 1,842 1 2 1662 1663 1664 1665 1666 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 20 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,051
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.