Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I just listed our camper of CL.

It is VERY clean for a 12 year old camper. Great condition. Put up 4 or 5 really clear pictures.

30 minutes later, I get a text.

Here it is: "Hello am interested in this posting,what is the condition? Is it exactly like it is in the pics? get back to me asap, Cody.."

I responded:

"No. Truth be known, I photoshopped the pictures to remove the bloodstain left from where the previous owner was murdered."

Last edited by Tarkio; 05/22/17. Reason: edited for clarity

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used CL a lot. Invariably, after I place an ad, within a couple hours I'll get a scam email. Never fails. You soon get to where you can spot them in a second.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No It's a brand new one. I took a pic of a 12 year old camper cause I stupid.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Recently posted a Swaro spotting scope for sale here at the fire, a few other sites and CL as well. My price is spelled out precisely, and yet I get a text asking if I'd take $1000 despite my price being listed. I sometimes wonder if folks troll CL or if people are truly that stupid..

Shut up and hunt!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's tough dealing with these nuckleheads. I always get the offers for about 50 to 60% of asking price with the very tempting caveat, "I've got cash in hand". I always want to tell them, "You've got two hands, fill'em up and get back to me". It's such an odd statement that apparently is too tempting for some to overcome. When I post something for sale, and we reach a deal, it's generally expected that all buyers, when we finalize the deal, must have "cash in hand". I don't care if they have it in hand or not as long as, when the time comes to meet, they then have the agreed amount, "in hand".

Really?!?! You've got cash in hand. Wow! Well, that certainly makes your otherwise unacceptable offer more appealing.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 05/22/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have listed quite a few things on CL and nothing until this last posting
I had a 1972 Miller 600D welding machine as well as other things this go around.
I wanted $2500 for it.
I listed it for $3000 this was on Friday 5/19/17
Got two hits on Saturday

The serious one came by and asked what my best price for it was I asked him what he would give me for it. He said $2500 I was going to say $2750 when he told me Cash today and I will help you pull it out of the hole it was in.

I told him it was going to take me several hours to pull it out and he said OK i will help you.

2 1/2 hours latter it was loaded on his truck heeded for China.
Cash in my had and he did about 1/3rd of the work getting it loaded

Two more hits last night on other stuff.

CL can be a pain some times but it delivered this time around.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I know it sounds crazy, but some folks will post photos of stuff from when they first got it 4-5 years before. Others will show pics from "before the hail storm"..... Not defending the guy, but I always hate to waste my time driving to look at stuff based on "old pictures", or finding out that some idiot is trying to sell a car/truck/tractor for thousands of $$$'s, and couldn't be bothered with spending $75 on a battery to start the damn thing...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm shopping for a camper. I saw an ad on Craigslist with a single picture. The ad read "Everything works"

That, and the price.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
And if he sprung for the cash what would it have mattered.......

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Read the guy's response. It is broken english at best.

Definitely a scammer.

Which is why, when he asked if it looks like the pictures, I lied and said no, I photoshopped the photos to remove the bloodstain.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
After I told him there was a big bloodstain that I photoshopped out of the pictures I posted on CL, I get the following:

Great, nice to read from you,Well i saw the pics just wanna be sure, i'm ok with the price and present condition,i mean no insult kindly reply me with the pickup location and zipcode so i can confirm from transport company how much it cost for the moving and delivery, Regards"

Typed exactly how he/she texted to me.

My response:

"No Problem

The location is.....

Just to be clear, you're ok with the bloodstain and the previous owner having been murdered in this camper?"

Montana MOFO
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
So, did you get his Nigerian money order, yet????😜

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think his response was sincere. He's likely used to people selling pure trash on Craigslist which prompted his question. Lots of good buyers on Craigslist who aren't the brightest bulb in the box as well.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Then the latest response is:

"I forwarded your zipcode and location to my transport company and am okay with the transport charges also, they charged me $750,i think we can have a very good business now,My name is Cody Cooks Hope you have a paypal account for the payment thanks"

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Harry M
I think his response was sincere. He's likely used to people selling pure trash on Craigslist which prompted his question. Lots of good buyers on Craigslist who aren't the brightest bulb in the box as well.

Did you not catch the broken english? The fractured sentences? The canned questions?

I assume most of the initial text messages are computer generated. Follow ups might then be written by someone.

Did you not catch the fact that he doesn't care that I PHOTOSHOPPED the ad pictures? That I photoshopped out a bloodstain?

This is a typical scammer.

I am just having fun playing him along.

Montana MOFO
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Tell him your name is Roger Mfume, and you'd like him to wire you the money to your Nigerian bank account. Oh, and the trailer is available for pickup at a campsite just over the Canadian border...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The usual first red flag is when the first inquiry includes the following: "Is your item still available?".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
CL is the worst. i sold my car on there a few years ago with the obligatory "i don't need help selling this car, please do not contact me for help selling this car". i got multiple calls/emails for fuggers wanting to help me sell the car.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There is a reason I have some folks blocked on this site.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last scammer I dealt with on CL stopped texting me after I asked for his SS# and mother's maiden name. laugh

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You never know who is on the other end of the email, for good or bad.

I replied about a motorcycle lift for a cheap price a year or two back. I was put off initially by the texts I got about it, but tried to be patient and follow through on my end. It turned out a guy had died and his young oriental widow (who worked crazy hours) was selling off his stuff. It was only 2 blocks away from my house! Everything was 100% legit and I got a deal that time.

You never know though....

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=gwrench]...am interested in this posting.../quote]

This would have sent the reply directly to the trash bin.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have never used CL. However, like some of the ingenious replies... Tag for future reference... grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"Cash only upon pickup" shuts them down every time.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I love to delete the stupid fug's that have 15, 5$ articles and list them all separate taking up the whole page stupid bastads get the hint after about the third time!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not sell things, I give them away or throw them away.... except for a car we got for the kids to commute to school. I sold it on Craig's list.

An extended family of blacks showed up with multiple cars in my dark driveway and moved as fast as cats.

I felt like a blind old man in slow motion watching money being counted on top of my garbage can.

The buyer was a guard for the University of Washington basketball team.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Luckily Craigslist ain't an option around here.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I tried to sell a truck on CL a couple years ago. I won't try selling a vehicle on there again.

That experience ranged from hilarious to terrifying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you got some time to kill....
Don't even reply

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
yes it is in Tennessee, bought several pieces of farm equipment on CL there.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by Steelhead
yes it is in Tennessee, bought several pieces of farm equipment on CL there.

Sure, but the nearest city listed is 90 minutes away, with a handful of posts from a town 20 miles away.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
and 2 hours away from the cities is where I have bought stuff, normal people not the ones from crack whore hollow

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Compelling

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
CL is not what it use to be.

Ten years ago it was a decent place to do business....both buying and selling. Any more it's just for entertainment....and even that isn't what it use to be.
"Rants and Raves" use to be funny....

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The "Buyer" wanted my paypal account. Asked me to make a new account if need be.

And has since dropped off the scene. I was going to see about making a paypal account just to see how these guys make dummy transactions work and what this guy's angle was going to be.

He hadn't shown that card yet. I don't know if he was going to pay me the shipping charge and ask me to forward a check or money order to the "shipping company". Or if he was going to overpay me and ask me to wire the overage to an account somewhere.

I tried texting him to see if he still wanted it. Told him a lady just left that wanted to buy it. Was he still interested. No response so far.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i put a camper and an antique stove on CL at the same time.
got a reply on both that was exactly the same wording " hi is this posting still available? if is i will purchase. i will give you 70 $ over your asking, what was the price.
my transport people will bring you money and you can pay them with the extra i send with check. what bank used? i will send check from that bank."
gave me a head ache reading it. i emailed back asking for a phone number and stating CASH only! never heard from them again.
the whole inquiry smelled from the git go.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Guess I must have experienced the exception to the rule. I'd never used CL until a few years ago when we first moved down here. We bought a house here, kept our home up north and left the furnishings in it. We furnished the house down here from Craig's List. We got a lot of really nice furniture for real bargain prices, had no problems with anyone. When we bought another house down here and sold the one up north we had too much stuff, had to get rid of some, back to CL. Quick, easy, no problems.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Learn to accept and respect people for who they are.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Learn to accept and respect people for who they are.

Why?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I used to buy and sell on CL but tend to avoid it now. We were looking for a used mower recently and very few were listed on CL. Facebook, on the other hand, had dozens in our area.

Tried to buy a Camaro for my son's first car and the owner wanted me to give him a check so he could take it to his bank to pay it off and get the title. I told him that I would accompany him to the bank and would pay them myself. He then stopped answering my calls. A while later, I seen it posted again but from a different seller. Turns out the original seller had a mechanic's lien against the title that the second owner had to pay off to get it registered... after adding a Magnaflow exhaust and some paint work. We ended up buying it from the second owner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Craigslist is awesome, unless you're a moron. Then I guess it can be a bit tricky. That and the fact it has driven prices up on many things simply by creating a marketplace.

The real hoot is some of the local "buy sell trade" Facebook pages.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Craigslist searches can be enhanced if you use a sight called Search Tempest.
When you know exactly what you want, a drive of a few miles can be worth it.,

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Craigslist is awesome, unless you're a moron. Then I guess it can be a bit tricky. That and the fact it has driven prices up on many things simply by creating a marketplace.

Why do I sometimes think we're brothers from different mothers? I'm also sure we also think the other is an idiot from time to time too.

But yeah, if you know how to place an ad on CL (cough, like the fire, cough) it sells quick. I sold my Camry on CL for well over a grand above book. It was 12 years old with 201k on the odometer and some cosmetic damage. Held out for the right buyer, two weeks later he offers me asking price AFTER I told him if he didn't like my price to make an offer and the worst thing I could do is refuse. He test drove it and thought on it a week while letting me know he was still interested, then told me he'd take it for asking price if I could hold it a couple days. Then met me at my bank, we walked over to the WA licensing office around the corner after I deposited the cash, done deal. You gotta know how to place a good ad, and GSD (that's Get [bleep] Done) AKA "The Art of the Deal." Coulda dropped the car at any time for over a grand less. Patience, and the ability to ignore idiots. The latter being a character trait I do not exhibit on the fire. crazy

For an extra 15-20 minutes of my time and a week's patience I netted an additional $1,200.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Don't even reply

Hilarious! I stayed up way past my bed time LMAO reading this.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Don't even reply

X2

Really funny

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Lot of wife swappers on Craigslist!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've bought and sold on CL many times with no very good success. Every time I place an ad, I get the requisite scam email offering up to double my price to hold the 'item' until their friend or whatever can get there to pick it up. After a while you can pretty well spot the scams right away although a few are bit more sophisticated and take a couple emails to catch.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been trolled a few times on armslist, won't use them again. no interest in craigslist either

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got kicked off Craigslist for scaring a predator. The man set a "free stuff at curb ad" and set dogs on anyone who came to claim it. Thought it was fun to watch folks run for thier lives. Several folks got bit, including a father/son team, who posted a warning about the azzhole.
I posted I might be by for the free stuff, I'm armed, and will remove the threat if attacked. "Keep the dogs in the house, if I show up". (It was nothing I even wanted, but I thought it might keep the dogs off the next victims. )
My account was dead in less than 10 minutes, he pulled his bait ad, and nobody else got hurt. It had been several years since then, and in all that time, I have never been able to talk directly with anyone actual with Craigslist. And the "forum" for Craigslist issues was a complete waste of time.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner

That's an understatement.

You could put a $30,000 Lund Pro V on there with price as firm. No trades. Some dipshit will come along and ask something like "will you take an '87 Econo Van in trade?" Or some other dipshit will say something like "I know a guy selling the same boat for half that! How much will you come down?"

Irritating bastards lol

Last edited by Rooster7; 06/01/17.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not exactly like the pictures... It's bigger and 3 dimensional.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kingston
Don't even reply

Want another? Google if you can "Nigerian scam buster". That gent could talk the legs off of a table.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have to disagree. This seems like a perfectly reasonable question. A friend told me just yesterday of looking at apartments listed on Craigslist. All of the listings looked clean and new in the ads, none were in real life. One had hardwood floors in the ad, and old carpet in real life. The prospective buyer wondered if the camper being shown was the one for sale, or if you took pictures of a nice one, while hoping a buyer would drive an hour to look at a crappy one. It's a legitimate concern, unfortunately.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by carved
I have to disagree. This seems like a perfectly reasonable question. A friend told me just yesterday of looking at apartments listed on Craigslist. All of the listings looked clean and new in the ads, none were in real life. One had hardwood floors in the ad, and old carpet in real life. The prospective buyer wondered if the camper being shown was the one for sale, or if you took pictures of a nice one, while hoping a buyer would drive an hour to look at a crappy one. It's a legitimate concern, unfortunately.

Were it worded in more correct fluid english, perhaps.

But as others have mentioned, it was an obvious scammer for anyone who has done any selling on CL.

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I buy and sell alot on Craigslist. I haven't been ripped off or robbed and to be honest I'm pretty liberal about giving out my information.

That said, whenever you sell anything on craigslist, you're guaranteed of two things - you're going to get lowballed by someone because sending a semi-anonymous text or email it just too easy to try - even if you say firm on price and two - someone is going to hit you up with the I'll pay you more because of the hassle of taking a check from me scam (or some variation of it)

I'm also at the point where I don't even bother trying to follow up on the too good to be true ads on craiglist.

If its a really good price on something, I look for a phone number and an address where the area code matches the address. If its email only or a phone with an area code in another state I don't bother responding.

speaking of firm price, had a quad for sale last week - price was firm, guy says its just what he wants, drives over an hour to get there, says he'll take and starts loading it up, hands me cash $50 short of asking price.

I tell him he's $50 short and acts all shocked that I'm calling him on it, so he digs around in the cab of his truck and comes up with $40 more and says its all he has. I'm not gonna piss and moan over $10 but I think its pretty nervy to tell me you'll take it and start loading it up thinking you can hit me up for less than the asking price.

Have another quad for sale right now and am also selling it on Facebook's marketplace thing. It has a "make offer" button which entices people to make ridiculously low offers in the hopes that your so desperate for cash you'll take it. Had a guy ask me my bottom dollar and then responded with "I'll give you half of that". I told him I'd sell him half a quad.

Had an idiot want to trade me a tiger for something I had for sale a couple of years ago.

And then another guy wanted me to take his cat as part of the deal. I told him if he was throwing a cat into the deal the price goes up another $100.

there is no shortage of strange people out on craigslist.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/02/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thing that keeps happening to me on Craigslist is on the barter page

3 weeks ago I had another quad for sale (different than the ones above) and put it out on the barter page saying I would trade this quad for some mechanic work. No cash trade - come out, complete the mechanic work I wanted (installing a wiring harness and chasing some eletrical gremlins out from an older Honda) and I'd give you the quad.

Gets flagged

Another time I ran an ad asking for flat rate pricing to put in brakes and a new top end on a Polaris I had. I get this angry email from a polaris mechanic telling me I'm a cheap MF'er for not paying the hourly shop rate and after I tell him to go to hell, my ad gets flagged.

Finally, I had an ad offering to provide weekend help around a farm in exchange for the right to ride quads with my family on the land, noting that I would be respectful and not hurt the land. If someone wanted some help occassionaly I'd like to establish a relationship with a local farrmer that is mutually beneficial.

I get not 1 but 2 emails from people essentially saying I was an [bleep] and how farmers work too hard to have their land abused or some craziness.

Then that post gets flagged.

Any experience I've had with posting on Craiglist - everything gets flagged if its not a simple cash transaction for an item.

its strange.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And again, you may be strange to them.
If you are going to sell on craigslist, or for that matter in a retail store, you are going to run into people who are different from you.
At the very same time, we are all alike in the sense that we want to get as much as we can for what we sell, and we want to pay as little as necessary for what we buy.
I too sell a lot of things on Craigslist. I have not met one person who was an "idiot" or a "dipshit" or whatever else people call other people. I have met a lot of people who want to pay less, which is normal. I think its great fun to see how people buy things, and notice that some of the things they do are much the same as what I would do.
The bottom line is that Craigslist is FREE. That is why you are using it. Enjoy the people you meet there.

Last edited by 22WRF; 06/02/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've met idiots on there

I'm good with them thinking I'm an idiot too.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/02/17.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.