-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Craigslist is awesome, unless you're a moron. Then I guess it can be a bit tricky. That and the fact it has driven prices up on many things simply by creating a marketplace.

The real hoot is some of the local "buy sell trade" Facebook pages.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Craigslist searches can be enhanced if you use a sight called Search Tempest.
When you know exactly what you want, a drive of a few miles can be worth it.,

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Craigslist is awesome, unless you're a moron. Then I guess it can be a bit tricky. That and the fact it has driven prices up on many things simply by creating a marketplace.

Why do I sometimes think we're brothers from different mothers? I'm also sure we also think the other is an idiot from time to time too.

But yeah, if you know how to place an ad on CL (cough, like the fire, cough) it sells quick. I sold my Camry on CL for well over a grand above book. It was 12 years old with 201k on the odometer and some cosmetic damage. Held out for the right buyer, two weeks later he offers me asking price AFTER I told him if he didn't like my price to make an offer and the worst thing I could do is refuse. He test drove it and thought on it a week while letting me know he was still interested, then told me he'd take it for asking price if I could hold it a couple days. Then met me at my bank, we walked over to the WA licensing office around the corner after I deposited the cash, done deal. You gotta know how to place a good ad, and GSD (that's Get [bleep] Done) AKA "The Art of the Deal." Coulda dropped the car at any time for over a grand less. Patience, and the ability to ignore idiots. The latter being a character trait I do not exhibit on the fire. crazy

For an extra 15-20 minutes of my time and a week's patience I netted an additional $1,200.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
If you got some time to kill....
Don't even reply

Hilarious! I stayed up way past my bed time LMAO reading this.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Don't even reply

X2

Really funny

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Lot of wife swappers on Craigslist!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've bought and sold on CL many times with no very good success. Every time I place an ad, I get the requisite scam email offering up to double my price to hold the 'item' until their friend or whatever can get there to pick it up. After a while you can pretty well spot the scams right away although a few are bit more sophisticated and take a couple emails to catch.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been trolled a few times on armslist, won't use them again. no interest in craigslist either

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got kicked off Craigslist for scaring a predator. The man set a "free stuff at curb ad" and set dogs on anyone who came to claim it. Thought it was fun to watch folks run for thier lives. Several folks got bit, including a father/son team, who posted a warning about the azzhole.
I posted I might be by for the free stuff, I'm armed, and will remove the threat if attacked. "Keep the dogs in the house, if I show up". (It was nothing I even wanted, but I thought it might keep the dogs off the next victims. )
My account was dead in less than 10 minutes, he pulled his bait ad, and nobody else got hurt. It had been several years since then, and in all that time, I have never been able to talk directly with anyone actual with Craigslist. And the "forum" for Craigslist issues was a complete waste of time.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner

That's an understatement.

You could put a $30,000 Lund Pro V on there with price as firm. No trades. Some dipshit will come along and ask something like "will you take an '87 Econo Van in trade?" Or some other dipshit will say something like "I know a guy selling the same boat for half that! How much will you come down?"

Irritating bastards lol

Last edited by Rooster7; 06/01/17.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not exactly like the pictures... It's bigger and 3 dimensional.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kingston
Don't even reply

Want another? Google if you can "Nigerian scam buster". That gent could talk the legs off of a table.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have to disagree. This seems like a perfectly reasonable question. A friend told me just yesterday of looking at apartments listed on Craigslist. All of the listings looked clean and new in the ads, none were in real life. One had hardwood floors in the ad, and old carpet in real life. The prospective buyer wondered if the camper being shown was the one for sale, or if you took pictures of a nice one, while hoping a buyer would drive an hour to look at a crappy one. It's a legitimate concern, unfortunately.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by carved
I have to disagree. This seems like a perfectly reasonable question. A friend told me just yesterday of looking at apartments listed on Craigslist. All of the listings looked clean and new in the ads, none were in real life. One had hardwood floors in the ad, and old carpet in real life. The prospective buyer wondered if the camper being shown was the one for sale, or if you took pictures of a nice one, while hoping a buyer would drive an hour to look at a crappy one. It's a legitimate concern, unfortunately.

Were it worded in more correct fluid english, perhaps.

But as others have mentioned, it was an obvious scammer for anyone who has done any selling on CL.

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I buy and sell alot on Craigslist. I haven't been ripped off or robbed and to be honest I'm pretty liberal about giving out my information.

That said, whenever you sell anything on craigslist, you're guaranteed of two things - you're going to get lowballed by someone because sending a semi-anonymous text or email it just too easy to try - even if you say firm on price and two - someone is going to hit you up with the I'll pay you more because of the hassle of taking a check from me scam (or some variation of it)

I'm also at the point where I don't even bother trying to follow up on the too good to be true ads on craiglist.

If its a really good price on something, I look for a phone number and an address where the area code matches the address. If its email only or a phone with an area code in another state I don't bother responding.

speaking of firm price, had a quad for sale last week - price was firm, guy says its just what he wants, drives over an hour to get there, says he'll take and starts loading it up, hands me cash $50 short of asking price.

I tell him he's $50 short and acts all shocked that I'm calling him on it, so he digs around in the cab of his truck and comes up with $40 more and says its all he has. I'm not gonna piss and moan over $10 but I think its pretty nervy to tell me you'll take it and start loading it up thinking you can hit me up for less than the asking price.

Have another quad for sale right now and am also selling it on Facebook's marketplace thing. It has a "make offer" button which entices people to make ridiculously low offers in the hopes that your so desperate for cash you'll take it. Had a guy ask me my bottom dollar and then responded with "I'll give you half of that". I told him I'd sell him half a quad.

Had an idiot want to trade me a tiger for something I had for sale a couple of years ago.

And then another guy wanted me to take his cat as part of the deal. I told him if he was throwing a cat into the deal the price goes up another $100.

there is no shortage of strange people out on craigslist.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/02/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thing that keeps happening to me on Craigslist is on the barter page

3 weeks ago I had another quad for sale (different than the ones above) and put it out on the barter page saying I would trade this quad for some mechanic work. No cash trade - come out, complete the mechanic work I wanted (installing a wiring harness and chasing some eletrical gremlins out from an older Honda) and I'd give you the quad.

Gets flagged

Another time I ran an ad asking for flat rate pricing to put in brakes and a new top end on a Polaris I had. I get this angry email from a polaris mechanic telling me I'm a cheap MF'er for not paying the hourly shop rate and after I tell him to go to hell, my ad gets flagged.

Finally, I had an ad offering to provide weekend help around a farm in exchange for the right to ride quads with my family on the land, noting that I would be respectful and not hurt the land. If someone wanted some help occassionaly I'd like to establish a relationship with a local farrmer that is mutually beneficial.

I get not 1 but 2 emails from people essentially saying I was an [bleep] and how farmers work too hard to have their land abused or some craziness.

Then that post gets flagged.

Any experience I've had with posting on Craiglist - everything gets flagged if its not a simple cash transaction for an item.

its strange.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And again, you may be strange to them.
If you are going to sell on craigslist, or for that matter in a retail store, you are going to run into people who are different from you.
At the very same time, we are all alike in the sense that we want to get as much as we can for what we sell, and we want to pay as little as necessary for what we buy.
I too sell a lot of things on Craigslist. I have not met one person who was an "idiot" or a "dipshit" or whatever else people call other people. I have met a lot of people who want to pay less, which is normal. I think its great fun to see how people buy things, and notice that some of the things they do are much the same as what I would do.
The bottom line is that Craigslist is FREE. That is why you are using it. Enjoy the people you meet there.

Last edited by 22WRF; 06/02/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've met idiots on there

I'm good with them thinking I'm an idiot too.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/02/17.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,284
Posts18,486,844
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.