-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it's fast food, it's gotta be a Whataburger for me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
When I'm in NM I like What a Burger. There isn't one here, I like 5 guys pretty well.

When I'm in NM its the Owl Bar and Grill for green chili cheeseburgers. laugh

Another vote for the Owl Bar here. Good food. The Owl Bar is an original.

It's Day's burgers in Las Cruces for me.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Located in FountainCity Tn outside Knoxville. A place called Littons servers my favorite.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like several fast-food burgers. When I'm in Texas, Whattaburger (the #6 Jalapeno burger Combo) is it, hands down. Here in Utah, Culver's is very good, as is a smaller chain The Habit (which beats Five Guys all to smithereens). Wendy's is fine, but nothing to write home about. My default go-to is Carls Jr, because there's one about every mile, and the burgers are char-grilled, not fried or steamed. At Carl's the Famous Star is their most basic, which I prefer. I don't want avocado, onion rings, 19 strips of bacon, three cheeses, and some gooey sauce on it. I want a BURGER.

I've never seen the appeal of Five guys or In-and-Out to be honest. They're okay, but nothing I drool in anticipation to get. Ditto for Freddy's, which I went to once. Once.

I've never had a Jack-in-the-Box, or a White Castle. I'd like to try a WC slider, but you have to be blitzed at 3 am to like them, I'm told.

Utter crap? Burger King, McDonald's, and (usually but with exceptions) Dairy Queen.

Edit to add: I'd kill for an Owl Bar green-chili burger. Damn near a bucket list burger.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 05/23/17.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fgold767
Originally Posted by 22250rem
White Castle!........... I recall those from my childhood; my dad was a big fan of them (so was I). Are there any left? Bet I haven't seen one since the mid-60's.

White Castle is still a family run company that will not franchise stores. They will not locate a store that is too far from the main
company headquarters. There are stores in NJ, NYC, Ky. The closest one to me is in Louisville, KY. and it is just too far for me to drive......

Didn't know there were any White Castles anymore. Thanks for the update. I've seen the White Castle frozen stuff in the grocery store. My mother's 90 yrs. old and in assisted living and she has me pick her up some of them occasionally. If I'm in Kentucky and I see one it will be a mandatory stop to check 'em out. But you won't catch me anywhere near NYC or NJ so they can forget about my business.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Johnnies Charcoal Broiler #3 Chili Cheese Burger with ONION RINGS

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Freddy's have opened up here. They are good.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Something about a Double Double Animal style from In-N-Out.

Best burger I ever ate was after 5 days backpacking in the Marbles.

Local joint fries the cheese like a potato chip a few inches around the burger. Pretty dang good.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
...............................................................................is made from ground axis from my grill, there is no equal, don't care at all for chain grub, it's nutritionally trash.

Trump Won!
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Edit to add: I'd kill for an Owl Bar green-chili burger. Damn near a bucket list burger.

This Owl Bar must be something by the love its getting'.

I have to admit, I fired app the grill and made elk burgers tonight. Had two thick med rare delights and a cold Shiner Bock. I'm full and content.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
At home it's bison w/ avocado and red onion on a butter crisped brioche bun. 5 Guys for chain w/out a doubt, they also have great fries.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
White Castles are a novelty burger. That's why they call them "Slider's" They slide right through you. You can buy them frozen in some Grocery Chains. I used to go to Northern Illinois and find a White Castle, but they seem to have disappeared. The comments about Beef fat melting too late doesn't work for me. When I mix the Beef in with the Venison, I use only ground Chuck and no more than 15% fat. I don't like overcooked burgers, but I don't want it rare either. Slightly pink on the inside, but Medium on the outside. Did any one ever cook one rare on the outside and well-done on the inside?

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's more on the Owl Bar and Cafe's green chili burger - and how it helped create the atomic bomb. LINK

and a vid

Last edited by RockyRaab; 05/24/17.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rocky, post that again.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Took me a bit to figure that out. Hadn't done it before.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My favorite? The next one!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an excellent one at a little hole-in-the-wall place in Custer, SD.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I had an excellent one at a little hole-in-the-wall place in Custer, SD.

Interesting you mention Custer, SD. Many moons ago I had an outstanding Bison burger there in some diner. Don't remember the name and who knows if it's still there, BUT makes me wonder of it's the same place. Bison burger with onions and sweet pickle relish and catsup. I still recall it fondly after a long time!

Rocky, I think I hate you for posting that Owl Cafe video. It's only 10:00 am and I'm hungry for one of those! smile smile

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

White Castle!........... I recall those from my childhood; my dad was a big fan of them (so was I). Are there any left? Bet I haven't seen one since the mid-60's.

White Castle is still a family run company that will not franchise stores. They will not locate a store that is too far from the main
company headquarters. There are stores in NJ, NYC, Ky. The closest one to me is in Louisville, KY. and it is just too far for me to drive......

Didn't know there were any White Castles anymore. Thanks for the update. I've seen the White Castle frozen stuff in the grocery store. My mother's 90 yrs. old and in assisted living and she has me pick her up some of them occasionally. If I'm in Kentucky and I see one it will be a mandatory stop to check 'em out. But you won't catch me anywhere near NYC or NJ so they can forget about my business.

574 White Castle Locations in United States

Choose your state to find the nearest one or view the White Castle menu.

Illinois White Castle locations (90)
Indiana White Castle locations (89)
Kentucky White Castle locations (51)
Michigan White Castle locations (53)
Minnesota White Castle locations (32)
Missouri White Castle locations (49)
New Jersey White Castle locations (42)
Nevada White Castle locations (1)
New York White Castle locations (58)
Ohio White Castle locations (92)
Pennsylvania White Castle locations (1)
Tennessee White Castle locations (14)
Wisconsin White Castle locations (2)

Link to states with White Castle restaurants. Click on state for locations in each state:
https://www.menuism.com/restaurant-locations/white-castle-39666/us

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hatari: I have a small town (population 26) butcher add 10% by weight of "kidney suet" to my Antelope, Deer and Elk burger meat. I bring this meat to him AFTER "I" take the time to remove ALL white tissue from said meat.
The results are VERY tasting and worth the effort and expense.
When travelling (none in Montana!) I favor the In And Out Burger chain.
Fun, fast, tasty, consistent and open late.
When in Montana though we have to settle for the much more expensive and less tasty Five Guys chain.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 42 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.