-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When those chips starting coming off that grinder your going to know what I'm talking about with the chainsaw saving you a lot of time. The closer to the ground that stump is, the better. Knowing where your wheelbarrow and shovel is before you start is also a good idea. A stick of firewood can make A LOT of chips.

You may know all this but if you shut a gas engine off when it's hotter than hell you can lock the motor up so make sure and cool it down before you shut it off. If you don't want to stand around cooling your motor off, a leaf blower or air compressor with a blow gun speeds things up.

Last edited by DryPowder; 05/21/17.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The last time I rented one, by the time you rent it for three hours it cost about the same as renting it for the day.

Pre-cut to 4"-6" above ground, 12" stumps were ground down quickly with the machine I used, but I grind them through the roots below ground so I can take the entire root out.

That takes more time but a daily rental should get your job done without killing yourself.

Start early, return it next morning.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can't speak for the toro but I did rent a vermeer and it worked well.

I suspect the toro will do OK but you're just going to have to skim the stump more than bite at it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Wear safety glasses

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Most places have small ones that take some time....the big vermir on I used for som big Doug fir stumps....it really chews them up...
So I depends on the size of the machine you get.....cut the stumps as close to the ground as you can it will save you time...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I wouldn't use my chainsaw on these. 2 of them are Russian Olive. That stuff is made of titanium once its dried. The rest are mostly fruit trees of various types. They can get pretty hard.
There might be better machines than the Toro but that's what's available to rent here.

I would consider it well worth the price of a saw chain to get the stumps cut off at the ground before grind8ng.

I cut black locust all the time for fence posts. Not many things get harder than an old dry locust post. I always have a couple of nearly used up chains reserved for rough duty. I resharpen as needed, and throw em away when the teeth start breaking off in the hard wood.

When I was a kid, a neighbor gave my dad a pile of 16' 4x4's that he had no use for. Dad decided to use them for fence posts. We cut them in half and my brother and I spent days planting them. Then we started to string wire. We bent every staple. We absolutely could NOT get the staples in those things. We tried drilling them but kept breaking bits. Then the neighbor admitted that they were black locust that someone had cut into 4x4's and gave to him. He couldn't do anything with them either. We ended up pulling them all up and burning them.

The 2 Russian olive stumps I mentioned earlier are like that. One is only about 3" high but the other is 3'. I tried burning it out but I ran out of wood to pile on it. It might end up being there for a few years while I accumulate enough tree prunings to burn it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yep, I break a few 1/8" drill bits on locust posts. Some of them have been in the ground now for over 60 years. But bits are cheap and so is saw chain when compared to hours of labor.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Do yourself a favor. Cut the trees off at about 4ft. Rent a cat or a tractor and bump the stumps out of the ground and have them hauled off or you burn. You can thank me later.

No no no!!!. ^^^ This is a very bad idea. I own a construction company with all of the earth moving equipment and I still rent a stump grinder to do stumps in my yard.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When I have pushed trees out, I need all the top for leverage. The old Cat 944A loader would pull a fair size tree out by the roots, when a hose blows, the rear hitting the ground gets your attention.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Another one that can get incredibly hard when dry is willow. Years ago, I took out a corkscrew willow. I cut all the branches into stove sized pieces and put them in the wood shed. Then I cut the 3' trunk into 12 to 14" rounds and stacked them to split later. Later turned out to be 2 years. Bad choice. My splitting maul just bounced off of them. I beat a steel wedge into pieces and couldn't make a dent in them. I finally gave them to a friend who had a hydraulic splitter. He managed to blow a hydraulic line on them and got nowhere. He ended up burning them in his pasture.

I wonder how a stump grinder would handle an old willow stump.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I wonder how a stump grinder would handle an old willow stump.

Don't bring a pellet gun to a trap shoot and expect to win.

As with most pieces of machinery.
#1 is operator experience
#2 is sharp blades
#3 is enough HP

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Considering carbide will cut stone, I can't imagine a dried out old stump would put up much of a fight.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Take a twenty pound bag of charcoal and bury stump in charcoal ,use lots,cover with a tub and pack dirt around it so no air can get in and leave until cool.O.I.Dabble

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I need to rent a stump grinder to take out about a dozen stumps, none bigger than 10 to 12" wide. The local rental place has a Toro STX-26. Does anyone know how long it takes to remove a 10 to 12" stump with one of those? I need to figure out how much time to allow for the job.

Probably of no use to you but I waited 'til the local council organized a tree lopping mob to trim and remove some local trees, then I paid the blokes that worked for the company $50 to remove the tree stump from my front yard...took them about twenty minutes after they knocked off work.

Beer money I suspect.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I actually used this exact machine a couple weeks ago. Its awesome and it should take no more than 20 minutes a stump. I did a 30"+ giant oak stump in 40 minutes maybe..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have one in our rental fleet and just ordered another today. They work well and are easily operated. The 26 will do a 12" birch (hardest thing we see here) in bout 15 minutes, roots and all. IIRC the 26 is only about 10 to 15% slower than the stx 38.
You should like it...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I actually used this exact machine a couple weeks ago. Its awesome and it should take no more than 20 minutes a stump. I did a 30"+ giant oak stump in 40 minutes maybe.

Originally Posted by bearhuntr
I have one in our rental fleet and just ordered another today. They work well and are easily operated. The 26 will do a 12" birch (hardest thing we see here) in bout 15 minutes, roots and all. IIRC the 26 is only about 10 to 15% slower than the stx 38.
You should like it...
That's what I was looking for, someone who actually knew how they work. Thanks. Because of the number of stumps I have, I'll probably need to get it for a full day anyway. That's $168 plus tax at our local rental.

― George Orwell

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They rent them here at work, takes a little while on some stumps, but they get them below ground. I have pulled lots of stumps out with two large chain cum-a-longs. Slow but I've gotten some big ones out.

Last edited by hanco; 05/24/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,014
Posts18,500,292
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.