Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Prior to the late 19th century that wheel rim was probably wrought iron, rather than steel. Steel was expensive stuff until processes like the Bessemer convertor came along,

Wrought iron has very little carbon content, which makes it easy to forge and weld, but it has nowhere near enough to allow you to increase hardness by quenching and tempering as you can do with medium carbon steel for example. It tends to be pretty tough and not bad for corrosion resistance, at least as compared to your early steels.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As a kid in the 1950's I had heard of some of the many things blacksmiths could do from some old timers who were friends of my grandparents, (and even older than my grandparents). I recall hearing about them welding stuff but they never mentioned forge welding. All I remember is "They got it red hot and beat the hell out of it", or something to that effect. That was real interesting; thanks for posting.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 22250rem
As a kid in the 1950's I had heard of some of the many things blacksmiths could do from some old timers who were friends of my grandparents, (and even older than my grandparents). I recall hearing about them welding stuff but they never mentioned forge welding. All I remember is "They got it red hot and beat the hell out of it", or something to that effect. That was real interesting; thanks for posting.

It's been 40 years since I fired a forge. But for a fact red hot ain't anywhere near hot enough. You have to go past yellow, all the way to white if you're gonna hammer it into a weld.

I imagine magnetic induction and hydraulics would save the rotator cuff.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tag.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It's been 40 years since I fired a forge. But for a fact red hot ain't anywhere near hot enough. You have to go past yellow, all the way to white if you're gonna hammer it into a weld.

Modern version would be something like this vintage power hammer
https://youtu.be/WH9D6yBJwQk
But water driver power hammers are very old, very large, and very loud. Last one I saw was at least 15-20' in the shop, and more outside.
https://youtu.be/OVmF6Nsf77Q

Some folks even go a bit extreme...
https://youtu.be/E0ICdvaU94o

Last edited by kellory; 05/23/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year I stumbled on a PBS show, looked like it was filmed in the 1960s, of a guy making a muzzleloader, from scratch, with nothing more than blacksmith tools. Very interesting how it all came together.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At Sovreign Hill in Ballarat Australia there is a wagon wheel manufacturing plant making new wheels with 1860 era machines. It is fascinating to watch them turn a seasoned section of a tree trunk into a completed hub, ready for the spoke installation in a matter of a few minutes, moving from one specialty machine to next down the production line.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Charcoal forges were common in Africa when I was there, I'm recalling adobe-type fire pits for charcoal and traditionally-shaped bellows operated by hand, familiar-shaped anvils too. I never paid enough attention to them.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Charcoal forges were common in Africa when I was there, I'm recalling adobe-type fire pits for charcoal and traditionally-shaped bellows operated by hand, familiar-shaped anvils too. I never paid enough attention to them.

There are a lot of diffrent sizes and typed of anvils.
I just traded a box of deer antlers to a knife maker for a #100 Fisher anvil. 1850-1870 (iirc)

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Modern version would be something like this vintage power hammer
https://youtu.be/WH9D6yBJwQk
But water driver power hammers are very old, very large, and very loud. Last one I saw was at least 15-20' in the shop, and more outside.
https://youtu.be/OVmF6Nsf77Q

Some folks even go a bit extreme...
https://youtu.be/E0ICdvaU94o

Thanks, those were fun to watch.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My mother-in-law gave my son his grandad's forge - and I have his tire shrinker - an interesting (and heavy) artifact. It may have come from Fort Union.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a couple hundred pounds of 150 year old tire and sleigh shoe bolts in their original boxes.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There are more than a few of those 25# little Giant power hammers around and in use. A buddy has one in his shop as well as a large air powered hammer.

Forge welding can be done with a propane Forge, but one has to put the fuel to it to get sparking get hot. It's much easier in a coal/Coke Forge. Also a lot easier to vaporize the work piece too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
old skill Wagon wheels, sAmurai swords, Norseman ship building and European late 18th century warship building (have a look at HMS Victory),
medieval armor manufacture techniques,stone masonry etc... necessity is a great driving force in learning, development and refinement.

the great things old societies have done with the relatively little tech they had but great ingenuity, but of course some of it proved
rather ground breaking for its time..like revolutionary steam power compared to the horse & bullock.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
There are more than a few of those 25# little Giant power hammers around and in use. A buddy has one in his shop as well as a large air powered hammer.

Forge welding can be done with a propane Forge, but one has to put the fuel to it to get sparking get hot. It's much easier in a coal/Coke Forge. Also a lot easier to vaporize the work piece too.

Yup,....VERY hard to control at forge welding temperatures. There's a pretty good cache of very old wrought iron implements and artifacts piled up around here, grist for the blacksmith's mill, as it were. Some of the tools are pre-territorial colonial and super durable, very fine finishes after hundreds of years exposure. A LOT of the mining tools from the Territorial Period were forged with locally available bituminous coals, and are litterally falling apart,....they'll need to be smelted, and all of those oxides floated off,....dunno if I can pull that off.
The fundamental difference between good wrought iron and steels / properties of material are no longer commonly emphasized in our votech and metal shop classes, and haven't been for quite a while.
Malleability , ductility, tensile strengths, vaporization versus oxidation,....etc, etc., etc.....
I'm meeting a lot of somewhat confused and ill prepared younger hands these days,.....and continue to lobby hard for getting back to these basics in first year classes.
Anybody here ever used Red Fir bark in lieu of forging coal ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
(have a look at HMS Victory)

.....A slow, unwieldy, pretentious, TUB, crosstrees and "Castles" full of targets in red coats.....compared to the USS Constitution,....she's a SHIP, built by free men.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/24/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My pleasure.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My grandfather was a blacksmith. While he died before I was born, I've heard a lot about his great strength. Forge welding builds very strong arms on someone who does it regularly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the 1970's, the Arkansas Highway Department moved their Central shop from Jacksonville, Arkansas to West Little Rock, Arkansas. They had a sale after the move and there were a lot of old stuff that I craved, but had no money to buy, nor skills to use. Among them were a large coal forge, a power hammer and a large anvil. The anvil must have weighed 700-800 lbs. Lots of hand tools to go with these items. This shop was in an old building that was used during WWII in some capacity and I think these things were from that era. I did not get to attend the sale and would have been barred from bidding as I was a employee, but I had no money anyway. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Up the road about a half mile is the old farm owned by my best friend's parents, their parents before them and maybe their parents. It had a helluva lot of old outbuildings when we were kids. One time we went in one of them and it was a blacksmith's shop, complete with the old forge and tools. There were a bunch of iron wagon wheel rims and some wooden spokes still in their, waiting to be put together. My kin came to Kansas in the 1870's but were latecomers compared to his.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.