-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A bunch of upscale home build on hillsides above Boise, ID are sliding down hill. This winter saturated the ground and away they went. When I lived there 40 years ago, they were building like this. They cut a slice out of a hill, use the dirt to create a wider flat spot, and build a house on it. Even back then people were saying that sooner or later they were going to go and it looks like this is the year.
I really feel sorry the homeowners but this isn't unexpected. It was more like inevitable. 30 years ago I knew some people who bought a house up there. The house was on solid ground but the excavated dirt was pushed out and became the back lawn. Years later, after a long wet period, their back lawn headed downhill leaving the back steps as a shear drop off.
Those hills have been there unmoving for many thousands of years but when their support is dug out for a house, there's nothing left to hold them up.

Of course the homeowners are looking for someone to blame. They're filing suits against the highway district (for what I don't know), against the city, and against the developers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow!
We get some slides over on this side in our mountains, but never seen any like those out west.

FJB & FJT
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Looks like something taken out of California, happens here all the time... its like people just don't get the idea of building on stable ground!

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As a side note, that bluff in the middle of this pic is called Table Rock. You can barely make out a 60' cross on it. It was erected by the Boise Jaycees 60 years ago and the anti-Christians have been trying to bring it down ever since. It's on 4 square feet of private land owned by the Jaycees. The ACLU claims that the Jaycees bought the spot illegally from the Idaho Dept of Corrections in an auction in the 70's and it's still a war. They placed the only bid of $100 which was the appraised value at that time. If you're gonna hate God, you're gonna hate him...and they certainly do.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This ground wasn't unstable until the bulldozers made it that way. A retaining wall just can't replace a natural slope.

― George Orwell

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rock Chuck: That is a sad situation and a shame but that does not diminish the poor judgement (stupidity?) of the engineers/designers of that subdivision to begin with.
Hope they all had good insurance.
I have a feeling the lawsuits are gonna fly (lawyers get rich - and thats another tragedy!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
At least it was not a trailer park. Those guys can't catch a break.

Quit building McMansions in stoopid places.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Everybody wants a 'starter castle' just a little further up the hill than everyone else.

And as long as the money is put in the right hands, it all gets a green light.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Everybody wants a 'starter castle' just a little further up the hill than everyone else.

And as long as the money is put in the right hands, it all gets a green light.

Agree!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never seen anything like that... hill giving away, but what the op said surely makes sense.

Reminds me of what happens around here... build you house in a low spot and your gonna get wet!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

these same people bitch about the deer & elk in their yards in the winter too........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And I'm sure they needed those gigantic houses too. Maybe if they didn't build them the size of a small mall, they wouldn't have so much trouble with them sliding down the hill.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man has a long history of building housing in locations that are not conductive to long term habitation: Flood planes, river banks, slopes of volcanoes, below sea level, soil prone to liquifaction in earthquakes, on fill, etc. I'm sure most of our houses could be damaged or destroyed by natural forces if our time is up.

I don't buy that the soil was stable until it was cut, I'm sure it's been sliding off and on for centuries. The sliding has simply not been noticed due to a lack of structures to make the sliding noticeable.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There's some really nice homes on those hills

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Gravity works - inexorably!
People are thoughtless - inexorably!
Water goes downhill - inexorably!

Some folks are stupid - constantly!
I live on a small hill that isn't going anywhere soon - barring a MAJOR catastrophic event! (Then I hope I'm still around to GAS)

Many folks will camp under a cliff, among large fallen boulders - not even wondering where they came from. I've witnessed on rock the size of a cabin fall off a rimrock - and seen the aftermath of several more. Some, I thought "I'm glad I wasn't here when that happened" And "That ain't the way it looked last month!"

"STUFF" goes downhill!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Of course the homeowners are looking for someone to blame. They're filing suits against the highway district (for what I don't know), against the city, and against the developers.

That's the Deep Pocket Principle. The developer will fold like a bad hand before he pays out anything.

Geotechnical engineers make good money - most don't want to pay the added cost up front for an investigation and report.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.