Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by LBP
Except for the heat, I think Arizona would be nice.

I read the other day the Phoenix is now the nation's 3d largest city. Idaho is a nice distance from Phoenix, Seattle, and Portland.

Largest U.S. cities by population

1. New York
2. L.A.
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Atlanta

This is what I remember from a few years ago!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 05/28/17.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
New Mexico is nice, I've hunted there a number of times, good folks.

The govt is Dem and may not suit you as well as some of the other options you mentioned.

Do your research.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by LBP
Except for the heat, I think Arizona would be nice.

I read the other day the Phoenix is now the nation's 3d largest city. Idaho is a nice distance from Phoenix, Seattle, and Portland.

Largest U.S. cities by population

1. New York
2. L.A.
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Atlanta

This is what I remember from a few years ago!

Oops. I just went back and found that article. Phoenix is 5th, not 3d. Sorry about that.
It's now NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, and Phoenix.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have seen posts like this many times . One thing that does not come up is how much money you have to enjoy it. I live in S.E.Wisconsin and snicker at the fine gentleman that lives in N.W. Wisconsin. Good hunting? I have 7 ac. there , hunt public land and it SUCKS! Now, if I had enough money to buy 300 ac. that may change the attitude. Many here say Texas, maybe it is, " the best" . Now, for the Texas guys, add up the expense of land or leases , taxes, miles traveled , to hunt and it is a fortune. . . . and if you talk salt water fishing , , , post how much you have in a boat for the ocean. Now, I can go hunting in S.E. WIs. for deer for $24 a bow tag and have some fairly decent hunting 2 mi. from my house on public land . Few people hunt the big cattail marshes for good reasons. Many go to central Wisconsin and post how good the deer hunting is in Wisconsin . . . Problem is they fail to post that they dumped $ 200,000 on 80 ac. and a small cabin and fork out 3k on taxes every year.. Ok, he now has good deer hunting but he drained his life's retirement account to see more deer. ! ? . . As for me, I like to fish big rivers and and am willing to hunt poor to marginal deer hunting land cause i refuse to pay $200,000 for 80 ac. I would go to S.W. Wisconsin if I ever retire. Why? The bluffs are really , really cool, the Mississippi river has very good fishing for many species for fish. Walleye , bass ( smallmouth, large and whitebass) huge northerns, the best stinkin bluegill fishing I ever seen, big catfish ( flathead and channels) even sand sturgeon. . . and with all the bluffs there is a pretty decent trout fishery from all the cold streams. The bucks get enormous out there from the lime stone and certain soil. Ask Roundoak here about the big bucks . He will deny it most likely. Squirrel hunting too. The winters are harsh but not for long periods. Head west 100 mi. and there are pheasants in Iowa. I think for a POOR MAN like me ,on a poor mans budget, it is about as good as one can expect. If I had money I think Spearfish S.D. and west into north east wyoming was the most beautiful land I have seen . Not too hilly but just west enough to know you are out west. Hunting there is far superior to public land in Wisconsin, ( but the locals think it is poor hunting cause they never seen poor public hunting)

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's why I like it here in Idaho. It's relatively low cost for outdoor sports. We have nearly 50k square miles of public land and can hunt and fish almost all of it. There are few places in the state where you can't find elk hunting within 100 miles and deer much closer than that. A resident combination hunting/fishing license is $33. A resident deer tag is $20 and elk is $31. We don't have the deer numbers like they do in the eastern states but we do have some very respectable deer, both mulies and whitetails. You can hunt flat desert land or mountains as rugged as any in the US.
Plus, traditionally Idaho votes deep dark red.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Ya, Idaho vote the color of blood red. I know a girl in Cottonwood Id. and she sais much the same as you Rock Chuck. She gets elk too , even at 54 , and she has shown me pics of some dang nice whitetails too. So , it makes a world of difference what it is going to cost you for good hunting. For you it is cheap, for Texans it is not cheap. I have some of the best trout and Salmon fishing on Gods green earth and dont go there. It is Lake Michigan. A dependable boat that is big enough will set you back at least 10K. Then gas, ins. maintenance , ETC. gets every expensive. I could dump 10K , but to get out there 10 times a yr.?? Lot of money .

Last edited by ihookem; 05/29/17.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by atse
Idaho, and Montana are terrible. Don't move here.

Montana is full. I hear every other state has room, though.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Easy choice for this boy.....

Didn't think there was anything w/ that much elevation in NE Mt.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pat would tell you exactly where that was if he could remember. He was lost. 😉

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I grew up in SW PA. I left there as soon as I could escape.Spent ten years in NM and now 41 years in Colorado. I don't go east of the Mississippi if I can hep it. Folks back there have whole different way of thinking about things that don't match me. I looked into WY,,MT and ID when I retired, Too darn cold or windy. AZ, NV are too darn hot.Wouldn't even consider CA.
I guess I would go back to NM if I wasn't too old to move

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jpretle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Easy choice for this boy.....

Didn't think there was anything w/ that much elevation in NE Mt.

That's where I lived for 30+ years.....I can find my way back there on occasion. Five hour drive from my driveway to that place where I snapped that pic.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know which is best, but I do know Maryland ain't on the list.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Okay, y'all just move along now. Nuttin to do/see/shoot in Idaho.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1_deuce, 257_X_50, 222Sako, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.