Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've never owned a .22 autoloader and for some reason have a hankering to buy one. Just started to do a little research last night and like what I read about the Marlins (60 and 795). Criteria is it must be accurate and reliable - good trigger is a bonus. Thanks for the info.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
The triggers on the Marlins are not going to be light. The rifles will be accurate, however. Somebody on the internet is selling a spring kit to make the Marlin triggers better, but I have not tried them to know for sure. I really like the model 60 for a straight forward, out of the box no frills rifle that will not be modded. There is not a lot of aftermarket support for them, but it really isn't needed.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Remington 552 Speedmaster is very reliable and very accurate. Not cheap though - think $250 to $350 for a nice clean used one. Mine has a nice trigger for the field, but its no bench rest trigger. Tube mag holds 14 long rifle, but they cycle shorts reliably too. Holds 22 of those I think.

10-22 if you swap out the barrel and trigger. Most sporters are good plinkers as-is but I wouldn't expect a stock 10-22 to be "accurate". They can be dogs to dynamite depending on luck and/or $$$.

Marlin 60s and the many similar models are good shooters and inexpensive too.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
You didn't mention a budget but keep an eye out for the Weatherby XXII autos. My dad just picked up a pristine tube fed version for 550 and I have a clip fed version of same. They are beautiful and very good shooters with very good triggers

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nothing is more reliable and capable than the Ruger 10/22. Yes they are a bit rough out of the box, but they are super reliable, and as accurate as you want to make them. The rotary magazine is the best designed on the market, cheap, and flush mounted. After market options abound. I have Weatherby XXII's, Kimbers, Remington 541's and I reach for my Ruger 10/22's with Magnum Research Carbon barrels nearly every time.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its a 10/22 world. More aftermarket for them than all the others combined and if you want to run as issued its all the better.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Agreed: 10/22's are fine rifles if you're no more than four feet tall and have arms not exceeding eighteen inches in length.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You won't get a great or even a good trigger with a Marlin model 60, but you will get an accurate rifle and the easiest take down to clean of the auto loaders. I used to not think much of the Marlin 60 and boy was I wrong....a very accurate rifle and most often out shooting a Ruger 10/22. I now. have two Model 60's. The most accurate auto loader for the money is the now discontinued Thompson Center Classic 22. The T/C Classic 22 did have chamber cutting issues with the extractor cutting the breech face. Just be sure to inspect the chamber area on a used T/C Classic. Also there is a simple fix for the extractor issue on "Rimfire Central".

Much $$$ is spent accurizing the Ruger 10/22 to shoot as well as a T/C Classic 22 does right out of the box.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if you like old school cool, find yourself a Winchester 74. they will hold their own accuracy wise.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington Nylon 66

[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Tuco
Agreed: 10/22's are fine rifles if you're no more than four feet tall and have arms not exceeding eighteen inches in length.

They make a big boy version in addition to the youth model.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laffin' here.

Assuming that a balance of cost and performance is part and parcel; the 10/22 is where it starts and ends. Contrary to what many suggest, I've found small need for aftermarket replacement parts other than a trigger tune up. They do benefit from a full length bedding job, or so my sample of two suggests.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Slammer: My recommendation (based on 55+ years of using 22 auto-loaders of ALL makes and models!) is the Ruger 10/22!
Period - nothing even comes close to it in my extensive experience.
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My semi auto 22 rifles with no problems:
Remington 550-1
Remington 550-1
Remington 550-1
Ruger 10/22 with Shilen barrel and STG trigger
Ruger 10/22 with Tactical Innovations barrel, Kidd bolt, Volquartsen trigger
Browning SA-22
Browning SA-22
Remington 552 speedmaster
Remington 552 speedmaster
Remington 77 Apache
Remington Nylon 66
Remington Mohawk

My semi auto 22 rifles with no problems but seem obsolete:
Birmingham model 20
Stevens 87
Savage 87E
Savage model 6
Winchester 77
Winchester 77
Winchester 190
Winchester 190
Marlin A1
Mossberg 50

My semi auto 22 rifles with problems:
Marlin 88
AR-7

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a beater marlin 60 synthetic that rides on the seat of my SxS most times. It's a little rusty. But shoots good. Never any hang ups. Upgraded to fiber sights (Williams ?) and and tacticool oversize bolt. Great gun for what I give. ~$150?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I like 10/22s ok, I dont like loading the mags but they function good usually, if your talking right off the shelf with no mods a Marlin 60 is hard to beat, most of them shoot better then they should with correct ammo...... Remington 552's are usually good shooters as well

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Grand
Nothing is more reliable and capable than the Ruger 10/22. Yes they are a bit rough out of the box, but they are super reliable, and as accurate as you want to make them. The rotary magazine is the best designed on the market, cheap, and flush mounted. After market options abound.
Beat me to it... Look no further than the 10-22..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
if you like old school cool, find yourself a Winchester 74. they will hold their own accuracy wise.

These rifles are often overlooked--I have two and both of these will shoot 1/2" or better @ 50. The only semi-auto that I have owned that will consistently out shoot them is a

T/C 55

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you want a tube fed, then Marlin 60.
If you want magazine fed, then Ruger 10/22.

Both are reliable and accurate right out of the box. The Ruger can be upgraded if desired.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hippy
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

These rifles are often overlooked--I have two and both of these will shoot 1/2" or better @ 50. The only semi-auto that I have owned that will consistently out shoot them is a

T/C 55

Jim

I agree on the 74, they are very accurate in the autoloading line and very well made

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had six 10-22's, two nylon 66's, a Winchester 190, a Stevens 87, a Savage 64 a Squires Bingham and Marlin models 989m2, 995, a couple 75's and several 60's The Marlin 995 is the most accurate of all and very reliable. None of the 10-22's were what I'd call "accurate" for a .22 rifle out of the box, though a couple weren't bad after some work. The nylons were pretty damned pitiful in the accuracy department , though they were tough and dependable and made great coon guns.. The only ones I still have are the Marlin 995, the 989m2 and one 60. The 60 is dependable and will put 5 in an inch at 50. The 995 will put 5 on a dime and has been utterly reliable. The 989m2 has proven dependable and splits the difference in accuracy. I don't miss the rest and don't plan on buying any more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My nylon 66 is damn accurate with open sights. I never tried it with a scope. I killed lots of rabbits, squirrels and more frogs, snakes and turtles than most can imagine when I worked on a minnow farm. I abused it, on purpose, to see if it would live up to the advertisements and to my surprise, it did. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by milespatton
My nylon 66 is damn accurate with open sights. I never tried it with a scope. miles
The iron sights are pretty crude/coarse and make "damn accurate" pretty tough.. Don't bother trying a scope, It will only disappoint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never had a problem with the sights, but that is the reason that I got it cheap with hardly any use. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Best 1022 I ever had (6 or 7 of them) was the '67 Fingergroove.
I only did a Kidd buffer and Volq hammer and at 6X w a small front bag cranked 3/4" groups at 50yds with Blazer.
Current '67 standard can't do that at 25 yds !
But the orig stock I'm thinking was off, way too much tip pressure. So that has been addressed and awaits further testing.

Had a couple of 552's..........did OK, one liked Rem Yellowjackets.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Find yourself a used T/C Classic 22 or T/C R-55 model ( same gun) and save your $$ replacing Ruger 10/22 parts, barrel etc.

Doc

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 06/09/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have always contended that the ammo companies ought to give away free .22 autoloaders to every kid who wants one. A better device for expending mounds of .22 ammo has never been invented. Just think, free .22 autoloaders would be good for the economy: the ammo companies would get rich, LGS owners would get rich, Walmart would get richer, the people who made the rifles would get rich, and peace would reign throughout the land. We would become a nation of riflemen again, maybe, sort of.

Kids would start mowing lawns again to get .22 ammo money- making suburban America look spiffier.

Soda (and beer) makers would get richer because of the need for more empty can targets.

Lawyers would get poorer though due to less juvenile delinquency.

The .22 autoloader could, in truth, be the answer for our salvation!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Laffin' here.

Assuming that a balance of cost and performance is part and parcel; the 10/22 is where it starts and ends. Contrary to what many suggest, I've found small need for aftermarket replacement parts other than a trigger tune up. They do benefit from a full length bedding job, or so my sample of two suggests.

This...^^^

I've owned and/or used marlins, remingtons, and winchesters. The 10-22 is the clear winner. And, in my experience they are usually plenty accurate out of the box.

I actually prefer the bolt action rimfires but the various .22 autos are a lot of fun and generally quite reliable.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tuco

6'7" here. 39" sleeve length. I like the 10-22s just fine.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
For those only familiar with the old 10/22 standards............they made a 1" recoil pad that replaced the buttplate.
Been around for quite some time.
Can change LOP without any permanent mod.
If it's still too short after that..............well, what other factory .22 rifle is gonna fit ya?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The classiest plinker is, no doubt about it, a Browning SA-22. Even the Japanese ones are very nice, but the Belgian-made ones are especially attractive to my eye.

New ones are about $600. Nice used Belgians begin at about the same point and go up, depending on minutiae about sights and such. One of those is on my bucket list.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you could find a used 10-22 with a good broken in trigger for $150 and added a Green Mountain factory contour barrel (don't use the barrel band) you would have a really nice .22 auto for around $300
Definitely one of the best "bang for your buck" options.
I've never done it but I bet that tuning a stock 10-22 could turn out a good shooter too. Sounds like fun if I had the time, and maybe I will in the future. But the GM barrels (and others) are very good quality and a big head start.
You'll still need to try different types of ammo though.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Ruger 10/22 target for sale in the classifieds. This is the model with a laminated stock and heavy target barrel and improved trigger. This gun is new in box. I have another one of these rifles that I have been using for years. It will shoot 10 shot groups at 50 yds that can be covered with a quarter with CCI mini mags. I never bothered trying an target ammo in this rifle.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...uger-10-22-target-model-nib#Post12085747

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
You won't get a great or even a good trigger with a Marlin model 60, but you will get an accurate rifle and the easiest take down to clean of the auto loaders. I used to not think much of the Marlin 60 and boy was I wrong....a very accurate rifle and most often out shooting a Ruger 10/22. I now. have two Model 60's. The most accurate auto loader for the money is the now discontinued Thompson Center Classic 22. The T/C Classic 22 did have chamber cutting issues with the extractor cutting the breech face. Just be sure to inspect the chamber area on a used T/C Classic. Also there is a simple fix for the extractor issue on "Rimfire Central".

Much $$$ is spent accurizing the Ruger 10/22 to shoot as well as a T/C Classic 22 does right out of the box.

Doc

I've had'em all.

The Marlin may be the best shooting, cheap .22 semi auto ever. Trigger isn't that good, but I worked on mine with some improvement.

It's a 10-22 world as someone posted. No doubt. May be the best .22 auto design of all times.

The T/C was a nice gun. My beef was the design, allowing powder blow back residue to accumulated in the fire control area. In contrast, the 10-22 design isolates the fire control area from blow back residue. Otherwise, I like the T/C. I donated mine to a good cause; my cowboy action club had a fund raiser. To me, that was the highest and best use for that gun. They are nicely built with good materials and are accurate.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Back in the day, the Remington Nylon 66 was the rage.

It's a really good gun. The "receiver" is just a sheet metal shrowd over the nylon skeleton, no metal to metal direct connection to the barrel. They still shot pretty well with scopes.

They were really tough, I have one, my son has one.

They're now selling in the $300-$500 reage, depending on model and condition. Don't think I'd pay that. but don't plan to sell the one I have. I doubt you could talk my son out of his. IIRC, he got it from a friend, paid $30 or so.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a nice used 66 about 30 years ago for $50. It functioned really well, as advertised, but otherwise had little to recommend it IMHO, since I don't have a barn or chicken coop to keep it in. After about a year, I sold it for $50 to another curious soul.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I bought a nice used 66 about 30 years ago for $50. It functioned really well, as advertised, but otherwise had little to recommend it IMHO, since I don't have a barn or chicken coop to keep it in. After about a year, I sold it for $50 to another curious soul.

grin

Should have stuck it in the attic, kept it around for a few years.

You'd have gotten more than $50.

I don't use mine, I have better guns in the safe. In fact my 66 isn't in the safe, just sitting in an open rack in my gun room.

I remember as a kid, shooting rats at the city dump. Man, have times changed.

We'd go to the dump at night, 66's, a brick or two of ammo and headlights. We'd shoot a full mag, killing rats wholesale.

Then, we'd turn off the headlights, load the 66's in the dark by feel.

By the time we got them loaded, the rats were starting to move.

Lights on, kill rats, light off, load guns....

Real entertainment for teenage lads.

And, pretty cheap entertainment. .22LR ctgs. were pretty cheap and plentiful back then.

Remington 66's were pretty good for that kinda hunting. No one got excited, gunfire at the dump. No one ever check it out.

Yeah, times have definitely changed.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I guess that practice paid off.

Here's my partner in crime 50 years later.

Paid off for him, for sure.

So, Nylon 66's have their place in history and at the city dump...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12085126/2

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another 66 story.

I took mine apart, had problems getting it back together.

Borrowed this bud's 66, promised him I would just take the receiver cover off to see how the parts fit.

With that one as a guide, I reassembled mine.

BTW, don't take one apart unless you're pretty handy with such things.

I told my gunsmith what I had done. He was most impressed and complimentary that I was able to put it back together, even with the other gun as a guide.

He told me, he gets them in a bag to reassemble from time to time.

Interesting design. Maybe a bit too interesting if you're putting one back together.

DF

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you want an accurate, reliable budget 22lr - buy a Marlin 60. If you want an inaccurate, unreliable plaything that will cost you more initially and you can sink even more $ into trying to make it shoot as well as a Marlin 60 - buy a 10/22.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I feel a bit more charity towards the 10-22.

But, performance for the buck, can't argue with the Marlin.

But, more can be done with the Ruger, Marlin largely is what you get.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got one of those OLD Marlin 60s, from about 1971. It has a better trigger than any 10/22 I've messed with (a half-dozen for me alone, plus those of my friends). Nothing but using it, no smithing involved. I shot the heck out of it when I was a kid.

I've had 10/22s with Volquartzen and Powers hammer/trigger springs, and still weren't as good as that old Marlin. That old Marlin will outshoot them, too, but it's not very reliable. It'll jam with any excuse whatsoever. It's clean.
Marlin did a recall on them some years back, (when they were still Marlin) and replaced some feeding components (cartridge lifters, among other parts). I shoulda got it done then, but I was afraid they'd find out how good it's trigger was, and how well it shot, and send me a replacement.

That said, the 10/22s were/are more reliable, in my experience. I just wish they shot better with their factory barrels.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My old Marlin was probably late '60's. It was back when stocks were walnut. My brother now has it, doubt it's been shot in 30 yrs.

With Clark and Volquartsen parts, a Brownells trigger stop, I was able to tune several 10-22 triggers beyond what I could achieve with the Marlin. Some of the earlier Ruger barrels, out sourced from vendors, weren't that good. I understand they're now all made in house, hammer forged.

I never had an issue with a 10-22 not being reliable. Guess I was blessed in that regard.

DF

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've had half a dozen or so 10/22's.
My first one for a decade and it was shot a lot.
Bone stock..........no issues. Shot well enough.Think it a '76 model (maybe '75).

Best shooter was my '67 fingergroove.
All others pre 90.

No issues. They were reliable as heck. But I always ran HV stuff.
No bad mags either. Shoot til filthy, then clean.

Got a '67 standard now, it's only had a couple hundred through it under my watch (well worn before rehab- dunno round count, suspect a fair bit..........wear/damage might be from just truck bouncing).
Runs HV fine. Has volq hammer now. Stock had issues (from the factory LOL) and I fixed that.
Have yet to see how it affects accuracy. Prev to removing some wood at the front of the bbl channel (Overton stocks not having wood back to receiver under bbl)............it's been the worst shooting 10/22 I've had.

Reliable, same as the others. Just not a good shooter (huge amount of forend pressure prev to mod).

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been shooting the same 10/22 since Dad gave it to me new in '87 when I completed the Hunters Safety Course, don't see any reason to change now. I've had a couple old Springfield(Savage)187's and a CZ-452(bolt), The 187's were both OK, the CZ was scary accurate(of course it's not an auto), but I just keep going back to the old 10/22 Carbine, it's been reliable and solid minute of squirrel since I was 12.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have lots of .22s and have had even more. Semi-autos in stock are two Browning SA22, and a Ruger 10-22 Sporter (unfortunately a birch stock). The newer of the Belgium Brownings out shoots the other two. It is equipped with a cantilever mount and a Burris Mini-4X PA scope.

I'm not sure what your goals are, so I throw this out as a freebie. I have two Marlin 39A Mounties that shoot right up there with the two Anschutz 54 Sporters that I have owned. The scoped one, from '67, does a 1/4" @50 with Super-X ammo. I can't hold the open sighted one that close, but it might do as well scoped. I also have a Remington 510 single shot that I found in my FIL's storage shed after his passing. There is only about 25 cents worth of blue left on the rifle, but it shoots decent ammo a half inch at fifty with open sights. Then I ran into a nice Remington 511 bolt repeater for $40 in a pawn shop a few years ago. This is the exact same barreled action as the Junior Sporter sans the target stock and the Redfield receiver sight. Scoped with a 3-9AO, it is a quarter inch rifle at 50. Since Anchutz is now available without the rollover stock, which I detest, I would buy another whatever they call the 54 action these days. With my $40 pawn shop find, there is no reason to spend the money.

I agree that everyone needs a semi auto .22. gnoahh is right about ammo consumption. When I was a kid, a brick of Super-X was in the $4.50-$5.00 range. I could go through one of those on a Saturday afternoon with my Western Field 87 (made by Stevens).

Good luck,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Goes without saying but the 10/22.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish Marlin would make Microgrooves for the 10/22. Hmmm. Wouldn't be THAT hard to do a little spin on the lathe, would it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Henry 22 are good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was REALLY interested in the Marlin 60 until reading in their manual "no hyper velocity ammo".
Are the other semi-auto's capable of shooting this ammo?

We should change our politicians
like we change dirty diapers....
and for the same reason.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Henry 22 are good.

I think you missed the auto part of auto.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mountain Dew Code Red and a pump Henry..............same thing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, I went into Gander Mountain today to check out the sale and darn if they didn't have a composite stocked, SS barrel 10/22 for right at 130.00 after discount, and I am ashamed to admit....... I did not walk out with it. I felt like I stabbed myself right in the back.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 07/27/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Late to the party here with only minimal auto experience. Mine is a 10/22 Deluxe Sporter (real walnut, checkering, no barrel band, rubber butt pad) I bought 20 years ago while in college. To me it is what a 22 autoloader is supposed to look like. Maybe because dad had the same for as long as I can remember. I shoot my CZ bolt gun more now, but no issues with my Ruger.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I think the original 10/22 sporter to be the best looking (also known as "fingergroove").

The later sporter (DSP- currently offered)..............they look decent. I've had two fingergrooves and one DSP). Plus a few standards.

IMHO the 50th anniv should have been a stainless sporter, in a black plastic stock- the stock a copy of the old fingergroove, w checkering).
Reg swivel studs though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye

IMHO the 50th anniv should have been a stainless sporter, in a black plastic stock- the stock a copy of the old fingergroove, w checkering).
Reg swivel studs though.

my 2nd 10/22 rifle is from a 50th anniv action. got the complete action in a trade, new never fired. just picked up a blued fluted sporter taper barrel (17") and a walnut DSP stock to place it all in. will work the trigger later but will shoot it for a while as is just to see. will probably end up having the bolt worked and bed the action down the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I admit that I've looked down at semi-auto rifles in general, though I admired the M14 I was handed in USMC.
There's several reasons for this, but mostly the people I knew who had these semi-auto 22's emptied the magazines/clips often faster than I would be able to shoot twice. And hitting the target, for them, was a matter of luck.

If I were to buy a semi-auto 22, accuracy would be high priority. I may have owned a semi-auto 22, though I don't recall/remember any.

If a 10/22, then the target model would likely be my pick. But what of the competition: "What rifle(s) would be "accurate" - say 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards?" Is that too strict? What kind of accuracy would be possible with the rifles available today? I think I'd be satisfied with 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards.

Last edited by Bugger; 07/29/17.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Henries are pump and lever. They are not autos. I used a weatherby semi-auto tube feed bought years ago.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 07/29/17.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bugger

If a 10/22, then the target model would likely be my pick. But what of the competition: "What rifle(s) would be "accurate" - say 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards?" Is that too strict? What kind of accuracy would be possible with the rifles available today? I think I'd be satisfied with 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards.

Yes they are capable of that.

Dave

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pair of '67's

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Top one was close to a half inch at 50 yds w Blazer, had a Volq hammer swapped in.
Bottom one did over an inch at 25 yds w same ammo.
Barrel band was super tight, so I sanded the contact area of the bbl down a bit. Is close to half inch at 25 now, w Volq hammer.
May need just a little bit more sanding.
Overton stock, hollow under mostof the bbl channel..........just contacts a couple inches at tip of stock.
Poor thing was not inlet correctly all those yrs ago LOL.

As for semi auto bias..............I have none. Some rigs shoot well and their owners can put mult good shots on target fast.

Some people shoot like chit no matter what gun they have.

.22 lr and groundhogs............fast followups are nice to have.

The 10/22................like the flush fit magazine.............carry my gun with hand placed right there.

Thought about a DSP stock and GM bbl 19" to upgrade the standard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two good looking 10-22s. Ruger used to put some good walnut on the 10-22s. I've got 79 DSP with a walnut stock that I bought at a gunshow for $110 a long time ago primarily for the stock.

Are the factory iron sights useable with the scope base on the receiver of the carbine or does it block them?

Last edited by 43Shooter; 07/29/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had a 2-7X Leupold on the bottom one, and moved that to a Sav/Anschutz 184.
Somebody was asking about 10/22s on another forum, so snapped a pic after scope removal (didn't run it that way LOL).
IIRC the sights are usable, but barely, w base on.
The 2.5-8X now sits atop the standard. The FG went to a new home.
The Anschutz got a new 4X rf Leupold.............and the 2-7X is sitting on my kitchen island.

Awaiting a rem 7600 carbine or similar wink

I had a decent DSP, but it shifted impact on me, and I missed a whopper chuck (twice) so dumped it.
That was 20 yrs ago and I'm still p*ssed.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The bottom one got a stock refinish. Looks better. Needs the orig bbl cerakoted to bring it to match. It's got a little bit of figure.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Range day tomorrow, the ol lady will shoot her 50th anniv model w grey lam stock and TRS25.
Let her shoot the one pic'd above and yeah, she's gonna want a trigger job.

Told her cash, no trades wink

My 10/22 shoots OK, but not as good as the FG did. If I can't get it a little better I'll have to drop the $ for a GM bbl and Victor stock.
My 184 shoots good enough I don't need the 10/22 to be super good, just want it slightly better than it is.

Could just need a little less forend pressure.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/29/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Been shooting the 10/22 for a lot of years.You can't go wrong with the 10/22.Once you find the ammo it likes best your gtg.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DannoBoone
I was REALLY interested in the Marlin 60 until reading in their manual "no hyper velocity ammo".

I shoot "hyper-velocity" (whatever that is) all the time.

Like I've said before, if you want an accurate semi-auto 22lr - get a Marlin 60. If you want something to tinker with - get a 10/22.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Marlin is a lot of gun for the buck.

I was able to tweak the trigger back when I was a kid, not bad.

"No hyper velocity ammo" sounds like a CYA move by company lawyers.

They'll handle them.

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dla

Like I've said before, if you want an accurate semi-auto 22lr - get a Marlin 60. If you want something to tinker with - get a 10/22.

Make way for Captain Dumb Ass ^^^^

Clark

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by dla

Make way for Captain Dumb Ass ^^^^

Clark

Grindr not working out for you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm really old (80) and still like my Winchester 63 better than any of the newer 22 semi autos!

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hclark
I'm really old (80) and still like my Winchester 63 better than any of the newer 22 semi autos!

i would love the opportunity to have one to find out for myself. love all the old school stuff.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hclark

That rifle is dang classy! Never shot one, always admired them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You really can't go wrong with Ruger or Marlin offerings in .22LR automatic rifles. I had a 10/22 for a while and liked it. In stock form it was very reliable and reasonably accurate. The amount of cash one can invest in a 10/22 if so inclined is staggering. The aftermarket goodies available are endless.
I now have several Marlins based on the Model 60 Marlin semi auto action. My favorite of these is a Marlin 7000 I was lucky enough to snag at the LGS one day. I have a 4x Nikon rimfire scope on it and a DIP trigger guard and trigger kit. It balances perfect for me and is my go to rimfire for most everything.
Here it is with a red dot, prior to the 4x nikon and trigger guard:
[Linked Image]

Here's the Henry autoloader:
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Could not get my 63 for all the Rugers in the world.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Winnie 63. I also have and love a Remmy 241....Both are old school walnut and blue rifles with a lot of class. I have a 10/22 with a heavy barrel that shoots fine but I don't shoot it much.

Regards,

Tom
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This one has been bugging all week. Helluva a price. I have wanted one since I was a kid.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/browning-semi-auto-22lr-grade-i.html#.WZtPeSiGOM9

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I bought a used Browning SA-22 and put a Skinner rear sight on it a couple years ago. It is one of the all time most fun rimfires you can have. And the bottom ejection is great for shooting out of the window.

Travis

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
LOL................old timer (now gone) told me how he crunched a window in his Suburban w a SA22. Got the chuck though.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a 1967 10/22..........am debating on swapping a DSP stock and GM bbl.
Don't spend a lot of time on the bench, once a good combo is found it's time to go hunting.
So the 4-12X will proly stay on a .243 win.
Recently got a 4x for another .22 rifle.............shoulda got a 2-7X.
4X doesn't seem like much.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My 22's consist of a Ruger Delux sporter 10-22, a new Ruger stainless synthetic 10-22, a Browning sa 22, Miruko, and an old Marlin
The Browning was inherited from a friend who died.
The marlin was a gift, and rode in a truck for years, not pretty, but it works.
My favorite is the deluxe sporter, had it the longest

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
I bought a used Browning SA-22 and put a Skinner rear sight on it a couple years ago. It is one of the all time most fun rimfires you can have. And the bottom ejection is great for shooting out of the window.

Travis

Thanks... I have a special Smith 22 RF revolver to pick when I get home but another Smith to get rid of. Hmm...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.