Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It's a better deer catcher than a cow catcher. Cow will TKO your truck

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
I recall reading here that they cause greater damage than being without...

You should also remove your seat belts.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys for the info wasn't sure what set a b off i.e. speed ,damage, impact or what! 1999 Ram 2500 cummins know there is a lot of coolers misc. under there prob. for sure a good investment in a bumper!!!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by EdM

You should also remove your seat belts.

Indeed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJL53
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
No insurance claim leaves you with a clean title. No mechanic's bill leaves you with a clean carfax.

Only problem with that is the airbag deployment is recorded in the on board computer.

If one is so inclined, replacement computers are available as well.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only problem with those bumpers is that the stupid deer seem to run into the SIDE of my truck, just to piss me off. Had five of them run into the passenger side, while driving 25 through a little town in Oregon last Fall. Dents in every panel but one. There ought to be a law that lets you shoot them.......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steel and weight pay off every time.

When my kids started driving they were only allowed to buy cars that had full frames, paid off twice for them.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Is that truck assembled with a perimeter frame rather than unibody? I ask because, if unibody, I would not have expected the front to remain intact.

My Lexus 450 (rebadged Land Cruiser) has perimeter frame plus the thickest sheet metal I've experienced on a vehicle not intended to wear .50-caliber machine guns. It has demonstrated repetitively that benefit.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Naphtali
Is that truck assembled with a perimeter frame rather than unibody? I ask because, if unibody, I would not have expected the front to remain intact.

My Lexus 450 (rebadged Land Cruiser) has perimeter frame plus the thickest sheet metal I've experienced on a vehicle not intended to wear .50-caliber machine guns. It has demonstrated repetitively that benefit.

Are you asking if the vehicle has a chassis rather than being of monocoque construction?

And here lexus is a car not a Landcruiser.

Last edited by JSTUART; 05/26/17.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire
with zero time to hit the brakes, I just lined them up so the impact hit the spare tire.

If you don't have time to reflexively hit the brakes, how do you purposely aim a spare tire at a running deer?
crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM

I've read that in a full speed collision frame mounted bars disable or somewhat bypass the engineered energy absorbing crumple zones. Article said that's what can increase injuries. with them.
FWIW.

no link to the article - some time ago.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That bumper is a Proline model made about 150 miles away and presently run about $1600.. The original bumper was removed and replaced with the one pictured which is bolted to the frame. A bolted on portion of the frame's front cross member took a slight ding and will cost $238 to replace. The bumper again is $1600. The airbags, their control systems, and seatbelt systems are going to add about another $4000.

One of Cookie's cameras brought the farm as it was sitting between us and flew forward on impact. Fortunately the camera body is cheap. The lens it was wearing though is about 2 grand and it's still working fine.

Had we not had that bumper, I suspect the original bumper, grill, hood, and maybe both fenders would have been buckled. The radiator, oil, and air conditioning cooling units would be toast, and the damage would be enough to total the rig.

Still glad it was wearing a cow catcher.

Impatiently waiting for the perp's insurance company to get back to us. Really want that thing back on the road.

Have a good one,

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad that you and your Missus rode that one out.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure about other areas, but in most energy/oilfield parts of the country they are very popular with service companies (for good reason). As such, they can often be found on the used market for ~$500-$700 for a full bumper replacement. It pays to watch Craigslist, classified papers, and call truck outfitting companies (they often remove the old ones and sell them cheap). Mine was built by a welding shop in Colorado and is more stout than most of the production units I've seen.

[Linked Image]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If you run into someone you will fug them up good, I wouldn't want to hit them and not damage the cshit out of them!!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
"The Warden" s truck wears a Ranch Hand grille guard - I've seen her come home with BS down the guard. and dirtballs in the towhooks! Decided it was none of my business! smile
Nothing seemed crippled the next day - so (being of sound mind - (mas o menos) I never asked! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Driving home this weekend we had a head on encounter with an oncoming van. I was on the brakes and likely near stopped, but the other driver gave no indication of ever seeing us in a 25 mph zone. For 13 years I've complained about packing this 500 lb bumper around and never hitting anything. We drove off with no damage to our grill, radiator, or oil coolers. Hood was up solely to look for possible damage. Needless to say the van will likely never move again.

[Linked Image]

Insurance is a pain in the rear, but I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a new bumper. Well worth the cost.

I think that there are shock absorbers on the bumper that allow it to give somewhat and thereby spread the shock of the collision over time. These shock absorbers are destroyed by the collision and need to be replaced.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never knew half-inch bolts were shock absorbers.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
last one my buddy and I built was welded to the frame.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I never knew half-inch bolts were shock absorbers.....

...just the Grade 1 half-inch bolts.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.