-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have started seeing these showing up and are offered at a pretty good price point, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with them?

Last edited by southwind; 05/24/17.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They've been popping up here as well and I've been wondering much the same as you. Always good to have some budget alternatives.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am an Athlon dealer. Have a Helos 8-34x on the way for evaluation and demo use at out local range.

I have tested the Argos BTR 8-34x and the Cronus 4.5-29x at our local airfield. The Cronus is an $1800 scope built by Light Optical Works, the same guys who make March and NightForce; or did in the past. The $390 Argos 8-34x hung in there with the Cronus up until 1100yds. The Cronus delivers crispness and color accuracy with exceptional clarity at all magnification ranges out well past 1600 yds.

The Helos BTR upgrades the Argos with HD Optics and Advanced Coatings, plus the illum battery and control is moved from rear ocular assy to the side-focus control for parallax. Kind of heavy and long, but all the quality high-mag scopes are.

The Ares line is set to debut with the 2.5-15x moa and mil-rad models this coming week. The 4.5-27x set to arrive in July. These will sell "on the street" for about $800 and feature all Optics and Internals coming from Light Optical Works, but assembled at the Athlon facility in China.

I am excitedly awaiting the 8-34x Helos mil-rad and a 4.5-27x Midas BTR which is a SFP reticle scope. Once the rain stops and our 1000yd range dries out some, I hope to take a trunk full of rifles out and put these scopes through their paces. The Argos BTRs are exceptional, I am expecting to really be blown away by the Helos 8-34x and Midas 4.5-27x

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Received the 8-34x Mil-Rad FFP Helos scope from Athlon in yesterday's mail..

Has a 30mm tube and 56mm objective, but mounts using medium or standard/low rings on most rifles. The Win 70 magnum with classic BOSS barrel was better with low TPS TSR 30mm rings.

Very good side-focus parallax control, maybe a bit stiff. Battery and illum reticle control combine on the parallax turret. Control dial's a bit stiff, but works fine. Battery and BC style lens cover Flip-Ups and a polishing cloth, booklet & tiny allen wrench included. The Turrets lock. Lift them to dial w&e changes. Press down to set. The turret is quick to zero; just unscrew the turret cap and place at zero index. The scope can also be zero-indexed for elevation.

Preliminary testing on Bushnell 74-3333 boresighter w/grid shows box test works fine and 1mil equals 3.6" at 100yds on the 4moa @ 100yds of the per box grid. The FFP reticle at 8x makes it easy to count the correct click count as it is a fine line at 8x. I did some scoping at distance yesterday across a local lake, at 600-700yds distance. Images were crisp and contrasty even on a full overcast day. Color looked natural on grasses across the lake. I was able to make out some small print on a yard hose reel. I have no doubt this scope will give the Athlon Cronus a run for its money even though there is a $1200 difference between the two. There was no need to back-off the magnification to get better clarity and even on a cloudy day, mirage was plainly visible in a mild boil.

Had my NightForce 8-32x NXS provided a sight picture this clear and vibrant, I would not have sold it. The parallax control is good, but goes to infinity much sooner than the 1600yd setting of the Cronus BTR. The finish is not as deep or lustrous, but the scope controls all are solid and feel high quality. At $589 for quality at this level and all the features you could ask for, IF a Tactical or Longrange Shooter, the Helos 8-34x has set a new standard in Quality and Performance for those shooters who are looking for More... Nothing about the scope is "budget" or compromised.

If you want to spend lots more and get less, there are plenty of options out there.

The Ares 2.5-15x and 4.5-27x with their Light Optical Works components should be even more outstanding! Not too much longer to wait for those.

I bought the Helos to use at our local range and show that you don't have to spend $2500 to shoot longrange with consistency., At $590 shipped, these are worth your evaluation.

More to come when i've had some time to actually go shooting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.