Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I need some help in setting up my new lower. I just ordered a gen 1 noveske lower and am wanting to put a PRS stock on it (maybe an ACS since it's cheaper) The upper is a 20" noveske heavy contour with rifle length gas system. My questions are, what buffer and spring do I need for a good set-up shooting match grade ammo? I've heard H buffer, but don't know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated... blush. I'm likely to go to a shop that specializes in building AR's and will probably ask them as well, but respect the knowledge and opinions of the guys here. If you would like, let me know how you would build the lower, including what parts kits to buy etc. I have a geissele SSA-E trigger ordered for it and on the way, so that part is taken care of... Thanks in advance!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used an A2 tube and rifle buffer for my PRS stocked precision rifle. You need a rifle tube to mount a PRS.

Rifle buffer kit.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
You need a buffer and spring that matches the stock, so you gotta decide that first. Carbine parts for the ACS-L stock, rifle parts for the PRS.

Whether you need heavier than standard buffers depends on how the barrel is gassed (not just gas system length, but port size) and is something you figure out when the rifle is assembled; look at the ejection pattern. Some guys want to just use a heavy buffer by default always, but IMO the better way to do it is get the gas system adjusted right for standard buffer/spring weights.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. That makes a lot of sense. When the rifle ejects the brass, it should throw it out at 3:00???? My left hand stag with the 24" tube throws it out in a nice little pile at about the 7-8:00 position. I guess on a right handed AR that would translate to around 4-5:00.. Is that acceptable? Sorry for the newbie questions... blush I'll be Watching some videos on buffer weights, dwell time, gas port size and springs. blush I'll also pull out my small hole gauges and measure the gas port size... Should be smaller, I guess, for a rifle length gas system with 20" barrel...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
4:00 or in a lefty, 8:00 is what you're aiming for.

3:00 or 9:00 is over gassed

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TWR

Therefore, requiring a heavier buffer and/or spring.

Don't be shy about posting a WTB ad in the Classifieds or here for heavier buffers and or springs, lots of folks have been in your position and have spares lying around that they have tried but don't use. Sometimes, you can get the ultimate deal...free. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks TWR. Sounds like my stag LH upper is doing well then: That one is a sweet shooter. My plan is to use the Noveske upper on my bushmaster lower with the PRS and if it does well, pull the buffer and spring out and duplicate that for my Noveske lower.... Seems like the easiest way to know for sure...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by TWR

Therefore, requiring a heavier buffer and/or spring.

Don't be shy about posting a WTB ad in the Classifieds or here for heavier buffers and or springs, lots of folks have been in your position and have spares lying around that they have tried but don't use. Sometimes, you can get the ultimate deal...free. grin

Ed

Awesome. Thanks for the help!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I ordered a Gen 3 PRS (even though I don't know if I'll like it as much as my Gen 2), also ordered the A2 buffer and spring kit from Joe Bob, thanks to Nvhunter's link. I'll post a new thread of my lower build with the "new to me" 20" heavy contour Noveske upper. All the parts are ordered (I hope), just waiting on the mail man to bring them to me. I'm hoping the buffer weight in the Joe Bob's kit works out perfectly, but I'll find that out after I shoot it. After all this, I feel very fortunate that my Stag 6HL was already put together for me and works flawlessly. Shoots damn incredible too. This Noveske should be pretty much the same way if everything works out. I know the upper was built right, as I bought it from a Noveske employee that lives in Grants Pass. I think the guy can build a rifle in his sleep pretty easily. I've been asking him questions and he pretty much confirms what you guys say, so that is good. I look forward to shooting this rifle in the AR challenge, hopefully my head isn't still spinning when I finally pull the trigger on this one!!!!!!! sick

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.