Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to give my 20ga loaded with tungsten shot a try on turkey. What ammo manufacturer and size shot do you recommend?

Thanks.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I never liked Tungsten for Turkey's period. Lead may not be legal in some areas, so you may not have much choice, but a Max.load of 20 Ga. Lead in a shot size of 4 or even 5's has been my favorite in the areas that I hunt.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Are you looking for factory ammo recommendations?

If so- with a smaller payload I would stick to smaller shot size for the best pattern density and limit your shots to 40-45 yards (if your gun will pattern well at that range).

I've had great luck with the Federal Heavyweight #6s and a JEBs choke in my 20ga 870. Some guys like the #7s for that many more pellets but I think 6 is great for density and penetration (they've also been easier for me to find).

If you aren't required to shot non-toxic then you may want to check out the 20ga Winchester Longbeard XRs. They perform phenomenally in my 12ga. I just picked up 3 boxes of 20ga #6 (of course you can find them after season closes). They are 1 1/4oz payloads so I hope they pattern well at 40.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Look for Winchester Longbeard in 20 gauge. It just came out this year. i have used Longboard in 12 gauge since it came out. A buddy swears by the 20 gauge Hevi Shot number 7s. He has retired his 12 gauge because of it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
3" 1-1/2oz Federal Heavy Weight #7 will kill a turkey much, much further than the pattern will hold together. It's flat mean, way meaner than lead(even lead #4). The beauty of the HW7 is that in the right choke you can get nice even kill patterns to 50yds with ease. It is hands down the best mass produced factory load on the market. That said, if you want the ultimate 20ga load, look up Apex Ammo online and buy some of their 1-5/8oz TSS #9 loads. There's not a factory load on the market, even up to 10ga, that can touch TSS in a 20.

Good Luck,

loder

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
Are you looking for factory ammo recommendations?

If so- with a smaller payload I would stick to smaller shot size for the best pattern density and limit your shots to 40-45 yards (if your gun will pattern well at that range).

I've had great luck with the Federal Heavyweight #6s and a JEBs choke in my 20ga 870. Some guys like the #7s for that many more pellets but I think 6 is great for density and penetration (they've also been easier for me to find).

If you aren't required to shot non-toxic then you may want to check out the 20ga Winchester Longbeard XRs. They perform phenomenally in my 12ga. I just picked up 3 boxes of 20ga #6 (of course you can find them after season closes). They are 1 1/4oz payloads so I hope they pattern well at 40.

Yes, looking for factory ammo.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
3" 1-1/2oz Federal Heavy Weight #7 will kill a turkey much, much further than the pattern will hold together. It's flat mean, way meaner than lead(even lead #4). The beauty of the HW7 is that in the right choke you can get nice even kill patterns to 50yds with ease. It is hands down the best mass produced factory load on the market.

loder

+100
Look no further than this.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd feel fully confident with the Federal Heavyweight in #6 or #7--- I just can't ever seem to find the #7s before they get snatched up but I have a nice stockpile of #6s and they work very very well.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
3" 1-1/2oz Federal Heavy Weight #7 will kill a turkey much, much further than the pattern will hold together. It's flat mean, way meaner than lead(even lead #4). The beauty of the HW7 is that in the right choke you can get nice even kill patterns to 50yds with ease. It is hands down the best mass produced factory load on the market.
Good Luck,

loder

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

ABSOLUTELY the BEST HTL load on the market. Bar None. Trulock has a choke made specifically for this load; 5 Star rated. Reports from the field and patterns shown by others are amazing. "Hits Like the Hammer of Thor"

I doubt I will ever carry a 12 GA 3 1/2" Mag in the field again.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
"Hits Like the Hammer of Thor"

I doubt I will ever carry a 12 GA 3 1/2" Mag in the field again.

Ditto. I put my 12 ga down 4 seasons ago and haven't even considered picking it back up.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
3" 1-1/2oz Federal Heavy Weight #7 will kill a turkey much, much further than the pattern will hold together. It's flat mean, way meaner than lead(even lead #4). The beauty of the HW7 is that in the right choke you can get nice even kill patterns to 50yds with ease. It is hands down the best mass produced factory load on the market. That said, if you want the ultimate 20ga load, look up Apex Ammo online and buy some of their 1-5/8oz TSS #9 loads. There's not a factory load on the market, even up to 10ga, that can touch TSS in a 20.

Good Luck,

loder

I shoot the Fed #7's and don't even consider carrying a 12 gauge. I haven't done anything but move my 12 gauge around in the safe for the last several years. My 20 gauge with the Federal 7's is wicked bad.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like I need to try the Federal HWT #7.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I tried it in 3 different 20's this past week. It is indeed impressive but not anymore than 3" #5 Hevi-shot. But I did buy about 10 years worth of Fed HW#7's, so I guess I'm gong to use it in a few. Lol

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would be trying the apex tss load if I was buying

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I would be trying the apex tss load if I was buying

On their web site, they are showing "sold out". I haven't searched for another seller and don't know that they sell through other channels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of te before next season

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I tried it in 3 different 20's this past week. It is indeed impressive but not anymore than 3" #5 Hevi-shot. But I did buy about 10 years worth of Fed HW#7's, so I guess I'm gong to use it in a few. Lol

I can assure you it will blow the doors off any factory shell out there short of Apex's TSS, most especially hevi 5s. With the proper chokes for both shells, even the best out of 5 boxes of hevi 5 will not even approach HW7 at 50yds. Heck, out of a lowly $20 Primos TW choke in my SXP I get 170-190 hits in the 10 at 40. I've shot 140s with HW7 from a multitude of different chokes and different guns.

It's bad news T, try a couple diff chokes. If your running it in your little Rem, for cheap chokes I'd suggest the Primos TW(yes, it does better than the JH with HW) or the Remington Super Full Lead Only .572. Those should do 140-150 in a clean bbl. if you want even better numbers, bump up to the more expensive Trulock HW7 choke or the Nonported JEBs.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's also a good idea to shoot 3'x3' paper with the HW7s(or any shell for that matter)for guys new to them. HWs sometimes have a different POI than other shells. You can get 140' rolls of contractor paper for $10-12 a roll at HD, Lowes, lumber sheds, hdw stores etc

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[quote=Reloader7RM]3" 1-1/2oz Federal Heavy Weight #7 will kill a turkey much, much further than the pattern will hold together. It's flat mean, way meaner than lead(even lead #4). The beauty of the HW7 is that in the right choke you can get nice even kill patterns to 50yds with ease. It is hands down the best mass produced factory load on the market. That said, if you want the ultimate 20ga load, look up Apex Ammo online and buy some of their 1-5/8oz TSS #9 loads. There's not a factory load on the market, even up to 10ga, that can touch TSS in a 20.

Good Luck,

There ya go, my 20 ga shoots better than my 12ga with a Sumtoy choke and the federal heviweight #7 shot. I also hand load the TSS #9. Have killed 9 long beards this year with it and 11 last year.

Don't gobble at me
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like yall are sold on HW 7 are you putting alot of pellets in their bodies. Seems like a lot of pellets to send at a gobbler. My bud shoots em with 3.5" #5 shot and that load will wreck a turkey. I have been shooting them with 4x6 3" doesn't damage much but I hate missing them after calling them in. Sometimes they seem to have a force field around them.

Good luck and shoot straight all

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,739
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.