Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So throwing this out to the 24hr brain trust- I have a Kampfeld Custom (700 action I supplied) 6.5x284 topped with a Leupold vx3i (4.5-14x40). I am handloading 140gr Partitions with excellent accuracy. I also have a Kimber 8400 30-06 topped with a Swaro Z3 (3-10x42) that shoots 165 gr SST very well (just some recoil here). Best to shoot? 6.5x284 by far easier to handle, little to no recoil. Most kills with? Kimber has laid down several deer.

First elk hunt in NW Colorado- was told shots would more than likely be less than 350 yds......so, which one to take? Anyone with real life experience to share? Over thinking?

Thanks!

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Take the 6.5 with the Partition...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
.30/06

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 'o6 but not with an SST.................that's not an elk bullet, barely makes the bar as a decent (big) deer bullet.

165 Partition or AB or a 168 TSX is your huckleberry in that rifle.

MM

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd take the one you feel best about, and are most confident with.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ballistically there's not much difference. I'd go with the lighter rifle and bring the other one as a back up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Bingo and it sounds like the 6.5-284 is that rifle. I'd be A-Ok packing that rifle for any elk.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The 'o6 but not with an SST.................that's not an elk bullet, barely makes the bar as a decent (big) deer bullet.

MM

I'm here. A 168 TTSX or 165/180 Partition. I'll do your load development - 58 gr IMR/H4350 under either bullet, Fed 210 igniter, done. cool

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
K- can load up some 165 partitions, have powder primer combo already here.

Thanks for thoughts fellas! Keep them coming......alot to learn.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can't say the SST is the top of my list, but here are two 165gn SSTs from an -06 and recovered from a very dead 6x6 Bull.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 05/31/17.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If it makes you feel better, your 6.5 x 84 load is ballistically superior to a .270 Partition load, which is a universally accepted elk cartridge...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Agree. Used a SST on a mule deer. Blew up on front shoulder. Did not break front shoulder. Deer was flopping around from I guess the shock. My 357 revolver put him out of his misery.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW

Absolutely. I wouldn't use SST's if they were free.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go with the Partitions.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Take them both.. It is foolish not having a spare👍 I would prefer a .30 cal. But elk have been killed with far less.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just me,but, the 30-06 would be[and has been] my choice. I simply like a bigger/heavier bullet to anchor those elk. In my '06, for elk, I'll use a 200gr partition or a 165gr Barnes TTSX. Really like that Partition.

Last edited by rifletom; 05/31/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Take them both.. It is foolish not having a spare👍 I would prefer a .30 cal. But elk have been killed with far less.

+1

Even as a resident, home is 5 hours away at best when I'm elk hunting. The only time i don't take a backup is when I know I'll have a partner the entire season and I'm familiar with their rifle. Shot my last elk with my buddy's 7mm RM because my rifle was down for the count.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not sure you'd be required to be familiar with someone elses rifle, but that aside, take which you want. Big is alwyas there. Smaller, sometimes you have to pass or pick your shots.

I'd hunt elk with a 243 without a second thought, or a 338/378.... just like ANYTHING, and ANY round, you simply have to know your limitations.

Being I hunt moose with an 06 necked up to 338 many consider me undergunned.. Its not failed yet with a 210TTSX... and I have verified hard shot zeros to 600 yards....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it makes you feel better, your 6.5 x 84 load is ballistically superior to a .270 Partition load, which is a universally accepted elk cartridge...

Oh you went and did it now! Internet hunting experts are falling out of their chairs in their mom's basement right now.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by STS45

Oh you went and did it now! Internet hunting experts are falling out of their chairs in their mom's basement right now.

Hey now!! I fell outta Ma's bean bag, not a chair! And she went to the store to get me some more Mountain Dew! Lol. Yeah, ya just kicked a hornets nest. Don't forget all the .280 guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree about the SST bullet. Not my favorite.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree about the SST bullet. Not my favorite. The partition ..............a favorite.

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/01/17.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by smokepole

This!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'd probably prefer the 6.5, but if the twist is 1:8 or faster and the throat/mag will take a Woodleigh 160gr protected point, I would seriously consider that instead of the partition. Loaded to max with RL-33, you should be able to keep the 160gr in its velocity window out to 325y, more like 400y at elevation.

I agree with others that you should bring both rifles to have a backup, and that the SST is not a good elk bullet. Regardless of caliber look at partitions, accubonds, woodleigh weldcores, bonded bear claw, a-frame, and copper monolithics on the heavier end of available weights.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 06/01/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
"Best to shoot? 6.5x284 by far easier to handle, little to no recoil." "I am handloading 140gr Partitions with excellent accuracy"

I think you have your answer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
partitions are never a bad choice.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use the one you shoot the best. . . and can carry the farthest.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Doesn't matter.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L

That's what I'd take. Especially since the NP is very accurate in that rifle. My .260 with 140 gr Corelokts did a DRT, bang/flop elk at 150 - my only elk kill. Spine shot in the neck.

On the other hand, I'm using an '06 with Hornady Superperformance 150 SST on caribou out to 500 yards, mostly over 300. That round at about 3100 MV, seems designed for 300 yards and out, where the velocity slows down some. Definately ill-advised for "shoulder shots" or any major bone/muscle mass hits except CNS! The GMX (mono) is supposed to perform ballistically identically with the SST in the same bullet weight with less ("explosive" some call it) expansion at closer ranges. So just swap from SST to GMX if that worries one. Sight in/component use if handloading should remain unchanged, if the hype is to be believed. I just bought a box to see... smile

The only SST I have ever recovered from nearly a dozen kills was from a head shot moose at 30 yards. Nicely mushroomed. jacket with maybe 1/3 of the lead left a half inch away, seperated.

All others (caribou) to 433 yards were pass-through , behind the shoulder shots except two. One was spine shot at about 150 yards. Nothing left of that SST or about 6 inches of spine and backstrap.

Of the last 3 caribou, the first two were shot less than a minute apart at 290 and 433 yards respectively. Both thru the lungs, both rounds missed ribs both sides. Quarter sized entry, 50 cent exit. I "lost" 4 inches length of rib meat, 3 ribs wide is all, both sides. Maybe 4 ounces per animal, of burger meat.

The last one I killed, I f'ked up and touched the round off while still positioning the rifle. At nearly 300 yards the SST left softball sized holes through both hams. Operative word is through.... including breaking/shattering the femur- I forget which side.

I'd say SST's perform exactly as intended, the only questions being one's own preferences and bullet placement. If you take the '06, using the GMX would be my recommendation. But properly placed, broadside just behind the shoulder, the SST will definately do the job! If it hits a rib going in, the wound channel will of course be greater. If you are one to take Texas heart shots, or shoulder shots, do NOT use the SST, especially under 300 yards!!

Personally, I've largely gone back to c&c bullets, Corelokts and Interlocks primarily, as for my use, they do anything (often better in accuracy!) a premium does , and i'm cheap..... smile

The only bullet failure I've ever had, was, interestingly, a factory loaded .338WM 210 NP, on the shoulder of a moose at 100 yards or so. BB sized bits of lead and bone peppered the nearside lung, and nothing reached the far lung. Never did find the base - i think it fell or richochetted back out the rather large entry wound. The second shot virtually up his nose at less than 10 feet when he lurched back up was a bit exciting, and worked. One CAN shoot a RU77 at full arm extension, one handed, provided sufficient motivation. John Wayne lives! smile

Kinda soured me on that bullet, which I never used again. Didn't do that much for my opinion of NP either, tho I have used them in 250 in that rifle with good results, including fair accuracy. And in other rifles and bullet weights. They seem to be something beyond just a passing fad....... smile

Last edited by las; 06/03/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In my younger days I carried my trusty 300 win mag. I have killed many critters with it. I always been partial to Nosler products. Then I jumped on the 6.5 bandwagon. My intentions started as a target rifle and whitetail. After shooting the 6.5 creedmoor I quickly realized what all the hype was about with 6.5 rounds. I am shooting hornady precision hunter bullets in Creedmoor 143 gr. ELDX. Great results. Some ppl gone say bigger gun. My philosophy is to anyone you need to hunt with gun you are most comfortable shooting. Cause a accurate gun is a deadly gun. I take a little hole in vitals vs a big hole in the guts. My mountain rifle weighs 7 lbs. and is deadly accurate.
The best advice I can offer is you know your limits on recoil and distance you capable of shooting buy a caliber that fits your abilities. .308 is never a bad choice

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The lightest one. You will carry an elk rifle way more than you will shoot it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS IS YOUR ANSWER^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
most shots are less than 100 yards

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Most people don't hunt elk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You right most people go camping

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Certainly either of your rifles will kill elk just fine in good shooting conditions and angles. Using a good tough bullet increases those angles at which you might feel comfortable. If the SST is the only bullet you would use out of the 30-06 use the other rifle. If you feel good pushing a 165 grain TTSX or similar as hard as your rifle will shoot them accurately then use the 06. I think the more lead (copper) you can hit them with the faster is a good plan for elk. If you plan on breaking the off side shoulder at 400 yards then opportunities closer are a breeze.

I've killed elk in NW Colorado at 11 yards and at 550 yards, the close up shot was harder because I hadn't practiced shooting turned back 3/4 pointing with one hand steadying the other wrist while pointing at the chest and canting my head to see hair through the scope. I had practiced out past 800 yards from field positions like I used on the longer opportunity. But heck if you feel like the 6.5 is your magic death ray why not use it, confidence makes a difference on shots that are challenging or need to be taken quickly.

Ballistic tips work most of the time but it is a huge pain if they don't so I'll never use one for elk again

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've killed two bulls with 140 Partitions from a 7mm-08. One bullet each. Both bulls DRT.

Placement.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I agree about the SST bullet. Not my favorite. The partition ..............a favorite.

Originally Posted by Angus1895

This a hundred times over.
I'd feel great with either rifle but not a fan of the sst I've seen it come apart on whitetail. If you want to use a cup and core in the 30-06 I'd step up to 180gr and look at gamekings interbonds or others

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can kill an elk with a 243 using 100 gr coreloc. So use the rifle you like best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I've killed two bulls with 140 Partitions from a 7mm-08. One bullet each. Both bulls DRT.

Placement.

P

And a very dependable bullet............................

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree whole heartedly with those advocating taking BOTH particularly if you are traveling a distance to CO. Stuff happens, or can, on any hunt.
I'm one of the few who had a 700 extractor break in two on extracting a case after a shot at a big bull; it took me out of the hunt.

Another time I slipped and fell with a rifle and missed another big bull at 300+ yards before finding my scope was knocked a whole foot off of the previous POI at a hundred yards. I hesitated to check zero while in the area but found out after the would-have-been kill by re-zeroing.

So work 'em both up and have a back-up.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm partial to the 06. But I like to carry my tikka because its light.
As others have said bring both.
And once again go with better bullet than the sst.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd pick the lightest of the two.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd take the Kimber '06 if it were me.

God Bless America!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nothing ever replaces Confidence.

Hunt Africa while you can
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"First elk hunt in NW Colorado- was told shots would more than likely be less than 350 yds......so, which one to take? Anyone with real life experience to share? Over thinking?"

Yeah,,, probably overthinking.

Either is fine.

But I'd prefer the Kimber for 2 reasons.

#1 I think much higher of the Kimber action than the Remington action, and it is statistically a lot less likely to have need of repair.
Murphy's' Law applies in elk camp too ya know...

#2 I like a heavier bullet for elk if I can get it. A .264" 140 gr Nosler Partition or accubond is just fine, but in the 30 cal I can fire a heavier bullet and get full penetration every time. When you shoot elk in the timber they should bleed a lot. Sometimes they can be a bit of a problem to find without a good blood trail if they run 20-40 years after the shot, which they will many times, even when hit with a bigger rifle.
I have hunting elk for over 40 years, and this year I intend to try to kill my bull with an iron sighted 6.5X54 Mannlicher. But this is your first hunt and you'll be learning as you go. So an exit wound will be a very welcome thing if your elk doesn't simply drop.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here's a story from last year on another board:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=14316985#post14316985

The hunter used a 143 ELD-X from a .264 Win Mag, MV 3125.

It's about where you shoot them.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
J
I took a 1000 lb bull with a 6.5 swede and a 130 grain partition. I couldn't get my hands on the 140's. Loaded it to 2830 FPS. The partition mushroomed perfectly and stopped just under the skin. They do their job if you do your part. the shot was 440 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where did you find a 6.5mm partition weighing 130gr. grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 125 gr. partitions! 👍🏼

Retired and loving it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just use the obsolete 30-06.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by skywalker
I am handloading 140gr Partitions with excellent accuracy.
Anyone with real life experience to share? Over thinking?
Thanks!
Shot my first Bull with 140 gr. Partitions out of a 7mm REM MAG at 375 yds. over 20 years ago.

Perfect broadside Boiler room hit on the first shot. He just stood there. (Actually he just wanted me to be able to shoot my rifle more, so I kindly obliged him)

There were several bulls and many cows, about 20-25 total. Pappa of the clan had 140 grains of lead in him and didn't bolt, so the family stayed put. Cow steps forward a few steps and stops with the tip of her nose just right behind his shoulder. My hunting pardner says, "Don't hit that cow". Boom. Second Partition in the Boiler room. (I guarantee you her nose hairs felt the hot lead go by)

Bull takes a few steps and stops. Cow steps forward out of the way. Boom. Third Partition in the Boiler room. Herd starting to move around. Pappa walks...turns away and puts his backside to me. Stops. (Hunting pardner tells me to hold on, he thinks I've busted him enough as I'm about to put one in the back of his neck). Pappa starts doing the teeter Breakdance. Pappa 6X6 Elk drops dead.

Hunting pardner says, "Now the work starts" as it started to snow.

Yeah, 140's will do the job. His CNS was just digesting the signals a little longer than normal.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 07/03/17.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I enjoy my 300 WSM as it will drive 165's at 3050 fps with predictable regularity. A 30-06 can do the same, I just don't own one.

While I am not opposed to 150's at all for Elk the WSM prefers 165's.

So, the point is, I'd rather engage such a sizeable critter with a 30 caliber.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I agree whole heartedly with those advocating taking BOTH particularly if you are traveling a distance to CO. Stuff happens, or can, on any hunt.
I'm one of the few who had a 700 extractor break in two on extracting a case after a shot at a big bull; it took me out of the hunt.

Another time I slipped and fell with a rifle and missed another big bull at 300+ yards before finding my scope was knocked a whole foot off of the previous POI at a hundred yards. I hesitated to check zero while in the area but found out after the would-have-been kill by re-zeroing.

You're one of the few that actually admit you've had an extractor failure with the rem 700. After having many extractor problems (at the range) with remington 700's and 722's, I finally just gave up on them. Just not my cup of tea for a real hunting rifle... Of the rifles mentioned, I'd take both, just in case something happens to either rifle. Nice to have a spare when hunting far from home...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by skywalker
So throwing this out to the 24hr brain trust- I have a Kampfeld Custom (700 action I supplied) 6.5x284 topped with a Leupold vx3i (4.5-14x40). I am handloading 140gr Partitions with excellent accuracy. I also have a Kimber 8400 30-06 topped with a Swaro Z3 (3-10x42) that shoots 165 gr SST very well (just some recoil here). Best to shoot? 6.5x284 by far easier to handle, little to no recoil. Most kills with? Kimber has laid down several deer.

First elk hunt in NW Colorado- was told shots would more than likely be less than 350 yds......so, which one to take? Anyone with real life experience to share? Over thinking?

Thanks!

Ditch the SST and use partitions Kimber.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What with all the current 6.5 craze, I suppose telling you that proper elk cartridges start with a .270 loaded with heavy bullets would amount to blasphemy and a trip to the town square to be burned at the stake. My first choice would be the .30-06 loaded with most any 180 gr lead core bullet with a good BC or a 165 or 168 gr TTSX. Always take a backup rifle that far from home.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

You're one of the few that actually admit you've had an extractor failure with the rem 700. After having many extractor problems (at the range) with remington 700's and 722's, I finally just gave up on them. Just not my cup of tea for a real hunting rifle... Of the rifles mentioned, I'd take both, just in case something happens to either rifle. Nice to have a spare when hunting far from home...

I used my local range almost weekly back in OZ and mixed with the bench rest boys. It was not an uncommon comment from them that many Remington extractors are actually broken during installation whereby the pin was actually holding the 2 broken pieces together. If true, this could explain why the observation is that it broke with use.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used the 140 gr. Partitions out of a 7mm-08 and they worked fine on elk.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Absolutely. I wouldn't use SST's if they were free.

laugh

LMAO. So you don't like them eh?

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Elkslayer cannot be trusted in any way shape or form he's a bold-faced liar

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Elkslayer cannot be trusted in any way shape or form he's a bold-faced liar

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy trails hunting.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.