Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
watch the video I just posted. Pretty cool.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
watch the video I just posted. Pretty cool.

Nice! It was interesting to see that one quick shot of finishing a steak deep fried??? I guess since all you're doing is crisping the outside, it could be a viable option.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I use a sou vide, to cook my steaks, season, seal, drop it in, set the temp, and walk away. Anywhere between 1 and 4 hours later I take it out of the sealed bag, re-season, and sear perfect steak every time. I do the same with chicken, pork, deer, elk etc....

This also seems like it would be a good way to go if you have a favorite marinade because it would just be slow cooking in that stuff the whole time.

From a cooking "chemistry" stand point, you're basically slow cooking the meat and then searing the outside with both methods. After that, the oven method would dry the outside edge of the meat more and the "charring" would be more dramatic because of that. On the other hand, seems like the seasoning effectiveness of the sou vide method could be arguably better. Damn, I would like to try them both- and RIGHT NOW!

MOLON LABE
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I cook ours in the BBQ pit with mesquite at 300. I like mine pink in the middle. Wifey likes hers done. I cook it on foil, doesn't dry out that way. Cooking on charcoal is ok, but it doesn't give it much flavor. I put salt and pepper, mesquite wood does the rest.

I don't understand all this searing business. It seems like that would keep the flavor from getting into the meat. Is that a yankee thing?? You all don't BBQ much up there from what I've heard??

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I use a sou vide, to cook my steaks, season, seal, drop it in, set the temp, and walk away. Anywhere between 1 and 4 hours later I take it out of the sealed bag, re-season, and sear perfect steak every time. I do the same with chicken, pork, deer, elk etc....

Okay, by my admittedly ignorant level of knowledge of this, I did a quick Google and it seems that you are basically putting the meat in a vacuum sealed bag and cooking it in water before searing correct? I assume you are buying the device that heats the water to a precise temperature? The one thing I can't figure out off the top of my head is how do you check the temperature before searing the meat? You can't put a plobe through the bag without a leak right? Or do you just know in advance how long a certain type of meat will take and you just time it? What am missing?

Thanks,
Rob

The idea is that this type of cooking is not a rush job, you are not waiting there until the meat hits that temp. I typically leave a steak an hour and it is always at the desired temp. I really like this when cooking for company that is coming over, I can put the steaks in before they arrive and don't need to stress about what time dinner will be at or worry about over cooking, let it go an hour or four it doesn't matter the meat will not over cook in any reasonable timeframe.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I cook ours in the BBQ pit with mesquite at 300. I like mine pink in the middle. Wifey likes hers done. I cook it on foil, doesn't dry out that way. Cooking on charcoal is ok, but it doesn't give it much flavor. I put salt and pepper, mesquite wood does the rest.

I don't understand all this searing business. It seems like that would keep the flavor from getting into the meat. Is that a yankee thing?? You all don't BBQ much up there from what I've heard??

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The idea is that this type of cooking is not a rush job, you are not waiting there until the meat hits that temp. I typically leave a steak an hour and it is always at the desired temp. I really like this when cooking for company that is coming over, I can put the steaks in before they arrive and don't need to stress about what time dinner will be at or worry about over cooking, let it go an hour or four it doesn't matter the meat will not over cook in any reasonable timeframe.

Yeah, that does seem like it would be a very forgiving way to go, especially if you've got a bunch of food going, like potatoes, rolls, etc and you're running around getting everything laid out of the table or whatever, all you would have to do is say "okay, everything will be ready in about 4 minutes, time to sear the steaks..."

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some guys would try to disassemble an anvil and put it back together "improved".

😀

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sou vide steaks are killer. HW- Which SV unit are you using?

That said, 9 times out of 10, I simply grill it over charcoal. Doesn't take long and whether mid rare or medium, I don't really care. Good steak is good steak at any reasonable temp and a poor steak ain't going to be miracled into something its not.

A special cut of beef though.............that's where I'd prefer the sou vide treatment!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by davet
Great idea.

I do something similar with ribs. Cook in the oven with your rub for 1.5-2hrs in a foil covered pan at 300* with apples or apple juice in the bottom of the pan. Remove and put on the smoker for another 1.5-2hrs cherry, apple, or pecan wood and keep it smoking to make up for lost time. Cuts cooking time and keeps moisture in, while getting hot enough to render off some of the fat.

I may try that with the steaks.

I'm going to give this a try one weekend.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Some guys would try to disassemble an anvil and put it back together "improved".

😀

And some guys are good enough cooks that they know when something great has been improved. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by davet
Great idea.

I do something similar with ribs. Cook in the oven with your rub for 1.5-2hrs in a foil covered pan at 300* with apples or apple juice in the bottom of the pan. Remove and put on the smoker for another 1.5-2hrs cherry, apple, or pecan wood and keep it smoking to make up for lost time. Cuts cooking time and keeps moisture in, while getting hot enough to render off some of the fat.

I may try that with the steaks.

I'm going to give this a try one weekend.

I picked that up from my mother inlaw, who is one hell of a cook. If Mary says that's the way she does it, that's the way you want to do it.

Last edited by davet; 06/01/17.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Sou vide steaks are killer. HW- Which SV unit are you using?

That said, 9 times out of 10, I simply grill it over charcoal. Doesn't take long and whether mid rare or medium, I don't really care. Good steak is good steak at any reasonable temp and a poor steak ain't going to be miracled into something its not.

A special cut of beef though.............that's where I'd prefer the sou vide treatment!

I use an Anova unit, its about 2 years old never had any issue with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks - Just ordered one from Macy's. $112 with tax and shipping.

I have a case of Piedmontese strip steaks in the freezer. A few will be getting a bath next week.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Think that's the route I am going as well.

Just watched a video on Eggs Benedict using Sou Vide. That sold me.

Thanks Gents!!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I use an Anova unit, its about 2 years old never had any issue with it.

They have their 800 watt model on sale for Father's day for $109.

https://anovaculinary.com/store/

MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I do steaks this way, more or less. I start with a 2 - 3 inch thick porterhouse (depending on how many are eating), dry rub it and let it sit, uncovered, on a rack in the refrigerator overnight. When I'm going to cook it I let it sit until it's up to room temp. I set up the charcoal grill with the coals on one side and put the steak on the "off" side with a wired thermometer in it. Cover with the vents shut down quite a way for a slow cook. I usually put some mesquite chunks or hickory in the coals. When it gets up to 95 - 100 degrees I put it right over the coals for a couple of minutes per side to sear it. I cut the two pieces off the bone, then slice them up vertically into 3/8 or 1/2 inch slices and reassemble around the bone on the platter....makes a nice presentation. I get a nice, rare all the way through steak that way. Works for me and never get any complaints.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Hey, have you done any roast sized cuts this way and how long did it take? Something like a chuck roast.

MOLON LABE
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I realize you didn't ask me this question but I read this on one of the many links I reviewed.

Performance

It wouldn’t be a full review without putting it to the test! Once our design and features walkthrough and heating/circulation test were complete, we opted to make one of J. Kenji Lopex-Alt’s recipe (remember that Anova + Serious Eats partnership?) directly from the app. The lucky recipe was… sous vide pork shoulder! (which we turned into pulled pork sandwiches)

We set our Anova to 165 degrees F, followed the dry rub recipe, vacuum sealed the pork shoulder, and let it cook for 24 hours. After pulling it out the next day, we dried it off, added a little more dry rub, and crisped up the bark in the oven for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Here are the results…

Go Nats!!!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.