Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone here dealing with Plantar fasciitis?

About two months ago I started having pain in my left foot and thought what the heck when I would get out of bed I could hardly walk. So does this get better or what? Some days its not bad but others it's painful as hell and hurts no matter if I'm standing or sitting.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
get better boots or shoes, i had it bad and thats ended taking care of it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might need orthotic insoles. Two of my three kids and wife needed them as they are all runners.

I use over the counter Superfeet insoles in my Redwings.

Last edited by FatCity67; 06/02/17.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had it a couple times. Last time from running on a treadmill with my lifting shoes.
It is one of those things that goes on for months and months to the point you think you will have to live with it the rest of your life.
Then one day you realize you haven't felt it for a while and it is gone.
If your are like me from that point forward you try to wear activity appropriate footwear/ good support.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am dealing with it right now too....
insoles help, but the best thing for me has
been a boot type strap on device that I wear at
night...buy them on amazon for around $25......it
has really helped...it stretches your plantar fascia....
Motrin or naproxen also help....

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What FVA said. Hurts like hell for a long time.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fill a 15 oz. pop bottle with water and freeze it. Roll your foot on it for 15 min. to ease the inflammation a couple of times a day especially before bed.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Prescription insoles, Cortisone shots and 6 months of limping has gotten me to where I can walk fairly normal. Anyone that thinks this isn't as bad as it is, has never had Plantar Fasciitis.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I lived with this for years. I started taking Mobic for my hip arthritis, and low and behold, that fixed the heel issue completely.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is natural for anyone to tend to point their toes when they sleep. That is not good for plantar fasciitis.
I used the plastic boots that I wore during sleep to keep feet pointed at (more or less) 90 degrees. They are expensive and uncomfortable but they do work.
I found it just as effective to position myself so that my feet hung over the foot of the bed at night. It seemed to work just as well.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The reason you have such intense pain, putting your feet on the floor after a night's sleep, is stretching of the plantar fascia.

During the night, with your feet extend forward, the plantar fascia retracts. When you hit the floor in the morning and extend your feet, intense pain occurs with stretching of the inflammed fascia.

One trick is to keep your feet flexed at around 90* relative to your legs as you sleep. There are boots designed for that, they don't let your feet extend during sleep.

Another trick is to have a foot board, keeping your feet flexed. To me, that's harder to maintain, especially if you're like me, rolling from side to side as you sleep.

And, NSAIDS for soreness as posted earlier.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I went to a podiatrist, who gave me a device that worked on the heel, but irritated the heck out of my achilles area. Then I tried a full length insole ($$), but it filled my shoe to the point where it caused problems. I ended up going to the pharmacy/health care section at Walmart where they have various inserts for plantar fasciitis. They are shorter, so the front of the foot doesn't bind. I've tried two brands, and they both work well. They are cheap enough (<$10) that you can get multiple pairs so you don't have to swap them to different shoes. Also, one brand had a set of exercise instructions that were exactly what the foot doc recommended. It's worse when you first get up, so start with sitting, and putting a belt or towel around the ball of your foot and pull back, stretching the tendon. Also the frozen bottle roll. Don't walk barefoot on hard floors, etc.

I did get the steroid injections, but the daily routine and the inserts seem to help keep it under control.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by stxhunter
get better boots or shoes, i had it bad and thats ended taking care of it.

This ^^^^^^^^^

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I deal with this every so often. One doctor recommended freezing a water bottle and rolling my foot on it and this helped. The cold reduces the inflammation.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
some other considerations, you might check into. Planters can be mistaken for gout. Typically gout occurs first in the large toe, because its the easiest for crystallization. But can occur in any joint. Arthritis pain can occur with or without swelling.
Do you have a history of kidney stones? Have you tried chondroitin? Indomethacin?

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
After a year of various treatments for plantar fasciitis, including injections, exercises, insoles, a high arch support shoe made it go away in 24 hours or thereabouts.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stretching, ice, massage, strengthening, better shoes, all help PF go away. But it can be a bugger to get rid of completely if you are lax about treating it. Before you take that first step in the morning, run your feet over a massage ball to to stretch the tendon out and wear shoes right out of bed. A "Rubz" ball works well and helps work out the soreness. If you walk before warming up the tendon in the morning you are re-injuring it again and again. This can be part of the reason it takes so long to get better.

http://www.rubzmassage.com/

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had off and on flare ups for years. Better shoes help, but the key is prevention. When I feel an episode coming on I load up on Naproxen Sodium taking double doses for a few days along with ice packs to reduce the inflammation. It really does help. The real problem is the tendon is not being stretched enough. There are stretching routines that will eventually knock it out really keep it from coming back. I haven't had a bad episode in a while because I've learned to see it coming and knock it out before it gets bad. And it can be really bad. I broke down and went to a DR once and got the injections. It did make a huge difference and quickly.

Walking around the house barefoot helps too. Learn how to place your foot on the heel and roll the foot as you walk pushing off with your toes as you take the next step. That helps stretch the tendon.

On the meds. Be careful. Long term use of these meds can cause liver damage. After knee surgery my doc advised that the double dose of meds for a shorter term was better. He could have written me a prescription for a larger dose,but doubling up on what I could buy over the counter is the same thing. It knocks the inflammation down quicker then stop taking them. It is the guys who take the recommended dosage every day for years at a time that get into trouble.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m
After a year of various treatments for plantar fasciitis, including injections, exercises, insoles, a high arch support shoe made it go away in 24 hours or thereabouts.

Mind sharing what shoe. I just bought some wolverine boots that a guy recoed on here and wore them yesterday

I can't believe how many miles I've trod on shanks mare toting heavy loads and the old mare ain't what she used to be

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a bout of that for a few months a while back- some painful schit. Haven't had it since luckily. Needed vicadin for a couple days just to fall asleep.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,826
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.