Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
With all the money people "save" on their budget builds, you think they'd carry a spare BCG when they go to a class. Makes for a quick fix for any of many several common problems.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They probably don't carry a backup for the same reason they used a cheap one in the 1st place.

MM

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bluedreaux, were there any other brands notable for reliability or failure?

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As a trend Colts, DD and BCM are always good. Radical and Underground Tactical are trash. Nobody cares more about your build than you do, so double check everything.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks. Pretty much what I figured.

I wonder where the Rugers fit.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have seen a couple of posts on this thread that emphasize using the best parts possible. I am puzzled by those who would not do so. Why would you NOT use the best available parts/components, for any gun, not just AR's? I will concede that "Best Quality" is somewhat subjective but knowingly using inferior parts, just to complete a gun, will always be a foreign concept to me.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
From what I've seen most people don't know what quality is and equate name recognition with quality.

And when you try to educate them they either don't believe you or don't believe that it matters.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've never seen a Ruger in person.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
From what I've seen most people don't know what quality is and equate name recognition with quality.

And when you try to educate them they either don't believe you or don't believe that it matters.

And when that "quality" costs more, many just simply won't pony up; they cut corners & knowingly or not, settle for something less.

MM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Colt, DD, LMT, BC, LaRue, KNS, Geisslee for parts.
Lowers I am not 100% sure how much this matters with a good parts kit and good trigger?
Uppers do matter to me more DD, Colt, VLTOR, BCM,YHM

Here is a question for you...does anyone know if the anderson lowers are the same hardness as a Colt lower? I kind of regret building a gun using an Anderson lower back during Zero's reign and wonder if it will wear out faster?

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Once you build a quality AR using quality parts, it's easy to understand why one gun costs $500 and another $1200.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Here is a question for you...does anyone know if the anderson lowers are the same hardness as a Colt lower? I kind of regret building a gun using an Anderson lower back during Zero's reign and wonder if it will wear out faster?" from jimmyp.

I suspect it will take a lot of shooting to wear it out.

I have a lower that I built on back about 1976 or '77 that was by Scheutzen Gun Works (that somehow morphed into Olympic or Olympia) and it was machined out of 6061 aluminum that is supposed to be softer than 7075 or whatever they're using nowadays. It's still fine. Doesn't get shot much anymore. The only reason I found out it was the softer alloy is that I had it refinished (re-anodized) and the anodizing processes are a bit different I've been told.

Back when I was taking classes it worked, and a Colt or two I had worked. I never saw any need for anything else. Have them, just don't see that BCM or DD is better than Colt.

Not that it matters but the build might have been a few years later.

Last edited by g5m; 06/05/17.

Retired cat herder.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Back when I was taking classes it worked, and a Colt or two I had worked. I never saw any need for anything else. Have them, just don't see that BCM or DD is better than Colt."

They aren't. But they are way ahead of the cheaper guns.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I do think it would be nice to have a midlength gas system from Colt.

Retired cat herder.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Having mid lengths from Krieger, Noveske and LaRue , comparing carbine gas from Colt and DD, I just don't think it makes that much difference but here you go...
http://www.colt.com/Media/Press-Rel...-Carbine-Featuring-Mid-Length-Gas-System

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by g5m
"Here is a question for you...does anyone know if the anderson lowers are the same hardness as a Colt lower? I kind of regret building a gun using an Anderson lower back during Zero's reign and wonder if it will wear out faster?" from jimmyp.

I suspect it will take a lot of shooting to wear it out.

I have a lower that I built on back about 1976 or '77 that was by Scheutzen Gun Works (that somehow morphed into Olympic or Olympia) and it was machined out of 6061 aluminum that is supposed to be softer than 7075 or whatever they're using nowadays. It's still fine. Doesn't get shot much anymore. The only reason I found out it was the softer alloy is that I had it refinished (re-anodized) and the anodizing processes are a bit different I've been told.

Back when I was taking classes it worked, and a Colt or two I had worked. I never saw any need for anything else. Have them, just don't see that BCM or DD is better than Colt.

I think the Andersons are 7075 and Mil spec anodized but that is what they say, have no idea if it's the truth

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TWR
Having mid lengths from Krieger, Noveske and LaRue , comparing carbine gas from Colt and DD, I just don't think it makes that much difference but here you go...
http://www.colt.com/Media/Press-Rel...-Carbine-Featuring-Mid-Length-Gas-System

Colt 6960. TALO dealers. Thanks.

add: After looking at Slickguns with prices $1150 and up, I may just replace a barrel. grin

Last edited by g5m; 06/05/17.

Retired cat herder.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya, I like Colt Defense, Colt Mfg. May not be up to specs but a new barrel is always a good thing.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Determining if the carrier staking is adequate is easily assured with a punch. I had one that appeared staked with beautiful punch marks but the screws turned freely despite that.

Last edited by supercrewd; 06/05/17.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Colt, DD, LMT, BC, LaRue, KNS, Geisslee for parts.
Lowers I am not 100% sure how much this matters with a good parts kit and good trigger?
Uppers do matter to me more DD, Colt, VLTOR, BCM,YHM

Here is a question for you...does anyone know if the anderson lowers are the same hardness as a Colt lower? I kind of regret building a gun using an Anderson lower back during Zero's reign and wonder if it will wear out faster?

You will not wear out a "softer" lower in your lifetime....trust me on that. The two lowers I have that had sloppy pins were... a colt... we swaged those holes a bit by the USMC AMU team armorer and I've done it to one other lower, that is the only Oly lower I have. Both have seen a LOT of rounds down, well lets just say at one point I figured we had shot about 250K rounds at one point... I figure 5K per barrel give or take... and I know both the Colt and the trash Oly, have at least 35K rounds on each one. I don't know many folks that will put 35K rounds on a single AR in their lives unless specific competition...

I'll go back to basics.. yes you have to have good parts. They do not have to have a single specific name on them. You need a better trigger and the best barrel... between those you'll have a top line gun capability wise, regardless of if perfectly mated and paired colors or frankengun looking...

But for those that don't know what it takes, buying brand name of the big names as noted by Blue and TWR and others sure never hurts reliability.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 34 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.