Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for some feedback on this line of tents.
Found one in the Bargain Cave at our local Cabelas.
Kodiak Flex Bow 10x10
They had it labeled as "package damage" but when I got home it has signs of use. There's some very light soiling from where leaves had rested on the top of it but the canvas seems to be in really good shape.
With discounts I was able to get if for under $300 OTD. Does this seem like a reasonable price for a lightly used canvas tent?
It would be an upgrade for our family of 4 to use during Spring-Summer-Fall here in the Southeast.
Has anyone here used one of these tents?
Thanks in advance!
WFR
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have the exact same tent and a Springbar. You bought yourself a great tent. Enjoy it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Great tents. Springbar knock off at half the price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read a lot of feedback reviews on the Kodiak tents a few years ago when I was considering one. Most of the feedback was negative. Primary complaints were poor durability, mainly the frames, and lousy customer service when warranty repairs or replacements were necessary. I decided to hold out for Springbar when I need another tent.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Damn good looking tent! Only one way to find out ... I'd try it at that price.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have the same Tent!!! I spent 13 days straight in it last Hunting season .....I was very comfortable, easy to heat. A Small Buddy Heater on low with a window cracked will Keep that sucker 70 degrees in 30 degree temps.....The poles and frame work are heavy as Hell, should be very durable....Mine with stood some Heavy rain and lots of wind and took it like a Champ not one drop of water made it inside.. I payed 350 for mine on sale....Best 350 I ever spent, no buyers remorse here.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do yourself a favor and search out some threads/posts made quite a long time ago by the poster TxTrapper. He converted one to be able to use a wood stove. Pretty darn slick modification.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As stated above "It ain't a SpringBar but it's half the price".....and probably worth just that.

I like that SpringBar is a family run "US" business that you can pick up the phone and get immediate help.

Love mine.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Interesting thread, was just looking for a "not-too-expensive" tent for 5. Found this Wenzel klondike 8 person ten grin for $229 It is also a dome tent, with attached screen room, and a sleeping room. Seems to be solid with re-inforced corners. Weight is also another important plus - less than 30 lbs cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned the 10' x 10' Kodiak Canvas tent for about seven years and have nothing but good things to say about it. I remember doing plenty of Internet research before I bought it, and I was generally impressed with both the "professional" and user reviews that I found. Just about all of the negative reviews I remember reading were from Springbar tent owners who seemed to be upset that Kodiak Canvas "borrowed" heavily from the Springbar design but never actually owned or used a Kodiak Canvas tent.

I'm very supportive of the made in U.S.A. sentiment that goes along with owning a Springbar, but at the time I couldn't justify spending that much money on a Springbar tent. I did, however, buy a heavy canvas Springbar groundcloth to use under my Kodiak Canvas tent. Fits like a glove. Blasphemy!

As an example, here is a link to reviews at Cabela's. It earns 4.8/5 stars from 167 owners. There are two three-star reviews and three one-star reviews. There are 139 five-star reviews and 23 four-star reviews. I don't recall seeing any other tent with higher reviews when I was looking years ago.

Kodiak Canvas Reviews

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
We are very happy with our 10x10 .........great tents!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've used the hell out of my 10' x 10' Kodiak. No problems whatever. The vestibule is a useful addition, but not constructed nearly as well as the tent.

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
As stated above "It ain't a SpringBar but it's half the price".....and probably worth just that.

I like that SpringBar is a family run "US" business that you can pick up the phone and get immediate help.

Love mine.

[Linked Image]

FieldGrade, I can honestly say that your posting of this picture got me to start looking at SpringBar and similar canvas tents. I still love that picture! I'm going to give this a try for the unbelievable price I paid for it. If it serves me well then a SpringBar may be the next tent I buy. I'm sure I'll get quite a few years out of this one!
***Update*** When I bought the tent the manager told me that if anything was wrong with it I could bring it back in and return it. Usually the Bargain Cave items cannot be returned. Since they had advertised it as "Package Damage" and not "Used" I took it back to the store and asked if they could do any better on the price. After some haggling I agreed to take it off their hands for $150 OTD. When the nice young lady returned the difference my net price on the tent was now $139!! Not quite sure how they figured that math but I'll take it!!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great deal on a great tent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the 10'X10' version. Great tent - heavy sucker but quality.... I paid around $350 for mine 3 years ago.

Last edited by centershot; 06/02/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I don't think I have ever slept in a tent.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Great tents. Springbar knock off at half the price.

Springbar 10x14 $699
Kodiak 10x14 $649

https://springbarcanvas.com/collections/shop-springbar-highline-series-canvas-tents

http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...anvas-deluxe-flex-bow-x-tent/1546688.uts

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.