Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I actually liked the Taurus. Great pistol for the money.

Mike

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Gibby
The Kimber is in the Colt range in cost.

And the same lack of quality out of the box.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Gibby
The Kimber is in the Colt range in cost.

And the same lack of quality out of the box.

You are uniformed or have a bias in your statement. Colt does not try to cut cost in any way. Kimber does in everyway they can. If you really studied the 1911's you would know that.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by pacecars
I had a Sig 1911 with the Clark conversion installed and I had a S&W Model 25 .45 Long Colt that was converted to use moon clips and shot the Rowland out of it along with the ACP and LC rounds.
The model 25, like the Blackhawk should be limited to 30kpsi, and the .460 is a 40kpis round...you're leaving very little room for something to go wrong. And there are many who would say the 25 should be kept to 25.5kpsi.

Linebaugh and Clark both disagree about the capabilities of he 25. I would not advise a steady diet of the Rowland but then again it was not designed as a plinking round.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Also, think of it as LOUD, Very Loud. I had a Clark .460 barrel in a Springfield Mil Spec, sold it because it was much too loud for a hunting round. Plenty of power, shot good, recoil was not bad - but the leaves fell from the trees and the ground trembled when I fired it. Would not be safe in areas prone to rock slides.

Just my impressions/opinion.

Mike
Fake news.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In what way, I might ask? Care to share some "real" news facts?

Mike

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

Mike

I think he might be talking about subjective facts. Kind of like reporting on dirty vs clean burning powders.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Still don't understand. I love the round, but in a 1911 with a Clark comp, it is DAMN LOUD! THAT is NOT subjective! As far as comparing it to a .357 snub nose revolver - I don't want one of those, either! Fun to shoot (the .460), just not practical for my needs.

Mike

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I had a Sig 1911 with the Clark conversion installed and I had a S&W Model 25 .45 Long Colt that was converted to use moon clips and shot the Rowland out of it along with the ACP and LC rounds.
The model 25, like the Blackhawk should be limited to 30kpsi, and the .460 is a 40kpis round...you're leaving very little room for something to go wrong. And there are many who would say the 25 should be kept to 25.5kpsi.

Linebaugh and Clark both disagree about the capabilities of he 25. I would not advise a steady diet of the Rowland but then again it was not designed as a plinking round.

The short Rowland case (compared to the 45 long colt) will not fully pressure up in the 45 long colt chambers.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
jwp475 - good point. Of course, it was not designed as a revolver round, but to bring near .44 mag ballistics to a semi-auto, but we live in an era where lots of shooters like semi-auto rounds in a revolver, for various reasons. Heck, Johnny Rowland had a video of an AR chambered for .460 destroying a bunch of concrete cinder blocks. I was interested in it for a potential hunting round, but found it wasn't the best choice for MY hunting. I'm surprised I haven't heard it suggested as a big bear defense round? Noise would not matter for that application (might help?), and it would be "faster" than a double action revolver. Not a .454 or .475, but easier to handle, lighter and easier to carry than truelly big revolvers, and more rounds available if you use 10 round mags. I sold mine to buy a .480 Ruger SBH that suited my purposes better, but a .460 1911 would probably be a better bear defense gun. Just don't get many grizzlies or big browns on the Texas coast! .44 mag will handle a heavier bullet, but Buffalo Bore offers some heavy hard cast that would do the job, I would think - at least as well as a 9mm! Normally it would seem to be a fairly small market niche, but I suspect a lot of bear defense guns are purchased more out of \"want" than "need"?

Mike

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Mike
It's not that loud. I have one and when it shoot it the ground does not shake or even leaves fall from the trees, neither have I witnessed any rock slides. Perhaps, you're too sensitive.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Maybe they don't sound load because your hearing isn't as good as it use to be.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by websterparish47

My hearing comes and goes. Sometimes around the frequency of the female voice.

That will make the earth shake sometimes.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Truly, it's not. Still, I was commenting on the earth shaking. leaves falling, and rock slides happening. I've not been a witness to those events upon firing my Rowland. Simply, a dissenting opinion. No harm intended.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OK, so I was using journalistic license, somewhat. I don't shoot on wide open ranges. In thick woods, that sucker is damn loud! My .480 is Magna-ported, and it doesn't come close. I shoot several .44 mag, a couple of .45 Colts, and a 50 caLiber muzzle loader with a 14' barrel, and with ear muffs, none bother me. With my Rowland, the muzzle blast seemed to almost hurt, even with muffs.

I would not bet on it not being enough to cause a rockslide, under the right conditions, though!

Mike

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mike-

Maybe you had a head cold when you shot your .460. Made it seem worse.

At one chronograph session, I was testing some .460 loads (1911) and 10mm loads out of Delta Elite. Had the Sky screens at 10 feet out. The .460 had no problem. When I switch to the 10mm. I had to move the screens out three more feet . With the comp on the .460 , most of the blast goes straight up. My dog even moved further away when I was shooting the 10mm.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Hahaha. That dog comment reminds me of an old red Heeler that I had. My cousin and I where sighting in rifles years ago.
I was behind the bench with my 30-338, I didn't realize he was up front when I touched it off. My cousin called him "shell shock" after that.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Remember when Browning came out with "The Boss system" ? I was at a shooting range with a tin roof over the benches. This fella' had one of those in .300 Winchester. That was a loud gun. I was glad when he left.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I asked Clark about the possibility of replacing the comp with a suppressor to reduce the muzzle blast effect. They were adament that the comp NOT be removed, for any reason - saying without it the recoil would batter a 1911 to death in short order. Ricky D, this is a figure of speech, I know a 911 cannot really die, as it is not a living creature. They were also very selective in recommending slide mounted red dot scopes that would withstand the constant battering.

The .460 is a SERIOUS gun!

Mike

Gibby, I suspect if my sinuses were stopped up, shooting the .460 might have opened them!

Back to my original statement that I loved the round, but it was not suitable for me for hunting. I mostly hunt a small property, with neighbors close by. I prefer using a suppressor when I can, as even though I have watched deer continue feeding with guns going off nearby, hogs are not so trusting, and will "exit, stage right" , making a LOUD firearm effectively a single shot.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I did not need the gun or wanted one, but my sons, daughter and wife bought me a .500 S&W when I turned 50 years old. They thought "a 50 for being 50" was cool.

I took it out to shoot it. I only had some Corbon ammo because I had not equipped myself with dies and components yet. We shot it at some targets and was getting ready to go back to the house. My son said, "dad, come down here and shoot this old water tank". I walked down to it WITHOUT any hearing protection. Dumb move.

I shot it. I had a head cold at the time and my ears were stopped up along with my sinuses. I was at the ENT doctor the next day. Had a blown eardrum.

You can still do stupid things at the age of 50.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.