Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Driving home I came up on a police car who had someone stopped. He had a spotlight aimed down the road right in your face, then his strobes on. As I went to go around here is this dumb azz in a black uniform standing on the blacktop near the center of the lane . I barely saw him.

Had I hit him it would have been my fault. Not that he was standing in the center of the lane, nor the fact that his actions destroyed my night vision. My fault entirely and him a "Hero".

Last edited by Armednfree; 06/03/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Of such are headlines made.

I'm glad you saw him.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Similar happened to me. Cops had all their spot lights aimed at and beyond the car they had pulled over. I'm way blinded as with those behind me I presume. Cop in dark blue/black uniform standing in the raod. I slowed from 55 down to about 30 mph. Missed him by inches. I did't see him till he was beside my window. Scared the heck out of me.

They should be wearing reflective gear and shoud NOT blind on-coming traffic with their damn lights. They ain't the only ones that want to go home safe every night.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 06/03/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cops here now 'conduct business' from the passenger side of the stopped car. Too many have been hit by standing on the drivers side.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In other words, you were hauling ass past a vehicle with emergency lights activated AND limited visibility. Stupid cop.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by g5m
Of such are headlines made.

I'm glad you MISSED him.
iirc in Texas you are to drop to below the speed limit by 15 mph.

Pat, what say you, and are cops ever informed about the possibility of blinding other drivers with the spotlight. I realize if a cop senses danger he will have the light on the perp. Id have it on everyone at night, but i be standing in tha ditch.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Being out on the road at night is dangerous business, you really have to keep your head on a swivel. I was in the traffic unit for 10 years and had many close calls, even got clipped by rear view mirrors a couple of times. One time I was in a traffic jam on foot working some kind of accident, when a mirror hit my gun butt. I spun around to yell something, and saw the driver was a Catholic priest with a white collar around his neck and a very chagrined look on his face. I could see right off that he felt worse about it than I did.

These new LED lights that you can see from a mile away seem too bright to me, I can hardly stand to look at them at night. Maybe that's a good idea on the highway, but it seems a bit much in town.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for Not hitting him.

Sometimes the best angle for approach in possibly violent situation is not the best place to be on a traveled roadway. It is not a perfect world.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, preach it brutha

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
In other words, you were hauling ass past a vehicle with emergency lights activated AND limited visibility. Stupid cop.

No, 55mph zone and I dropped down to 25-30 mph.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree

great , In California they passed a law you are suppose to slow down or change lane when you see police cars with their lights on ..

P.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by persiandog

great , In California they passed a law you are suppose to slow down or change lane when you see police cars with their lights on ..

P.

I was well left of center, about 50%. This cop was literally in the center of the lane. Why I don't know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
same in Texas, you move over one lane or slow down if you cannot. I try to do the same to any stopped car, regardless of police there or not.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
same in Texas, you move over one lane or slow down if you cannot. I try to do the same to any stopped car, regardless of police there or not.

Same here. They even passed a law that included tow trucks also.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We often forget driving privileges come with great responsibility. Whenever your vision is impaired, you need to slow down to the point that you can safely navigate the road. Whether it be a deer crossing the road in heavy fog, a cop with his lights on or whatever, you as driver of the vehicle are responsible and need to adapt your driving for the conditions at hand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by persiandog

P.

I was well left of center, about 50%. This cop was literally in the center of the lane. Why I don't know.

You can dress an idiot up in a funny uniform, but he's still an idiot.

Happy you didn't hit him.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Learmorer
Being out on the road at night is dangerous business, you really have to keep your head on a swivel. I was in the traffic unit for 10 years and had many close calls, even got clipped by rear view mirrors a couple of times. One time I was in a traffic jam on foot working some kind of accident, when a mirror hit my gun butt. I spun around to yell something, and saw the driver was a Catholic priest with a white collar around his neck and a very chagrined look on his face. I could see right off that he felt worse about it than I did.

These new LED lights that you can see from a mile away seem too bright to me, I can hardly stand to look at them at night. Maybe that's a good idea on the highway, but it seems a bit much in town.

That's the point. Ya cant see schit when the police have a strobe going off, a big azz spot in your face, and you are driving towards them.

Seems beyond stupid.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the spot into oncoming traffic is stupid, but it happens.tunnel vision on the stop causes lack of considering what the effect could be on oncoming drivers .
glad you were just frightened and hope the LEO was also and learned from the experience.
if you had hit him you might have no longer been Armedndfree!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Learmorer

That's the point. Ya cant see schit when the police have a strobe going off, a big azz spot in your face, and you are driving towards them.

Seems beyond stupid.

Yeah, it's almost as if they are intentionally attempting to 'blind' drivers in hope that they will slow down to a crawl or stop. Thankfully many can still drive 30mph without seeing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hahaha exactly. However most people are so discombobulated by the lights and then the swerving to miss the cop that they can't properly yell "PIG!!" out the window at them, which is unfortunate. So it has to be done later on internet forums.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (160user, 12344mag, 35, 2UP, 264mag, 338rcm, 21 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,972
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.