Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
And thus the crux of my quandry....SHV ticks off a lot of boxes for me though.

Or do I ditch the idea, eat some more top ramen and spring for a NXS.

However, I must admit, the Leupold LRP is intriguing but not enough field time to pass judgement.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Almost all of my NF's were purchased used. Paid $900 - $1200 for NXS Compacts and $1200 - $1400 for the 5.5-22x56's. Never had a problem with any of them. Had to adjust oculars, which takes less than a minute. Honestly wonder if some folks sold them because they did not understand how to adjust them.

If I could have only one scope to do everything the 5.5-22x56 is the most versatile. The 2.5-10x42 is handy for walking and carrying on a lighter rifle, but noticeably behind the x56 for image. Physics is the law. But, the x42 is a nice scope.

I've handled a SHV and the turret adjustments felt less precise than the NXS, but Leupold just is not a reliable product anymore.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by WDEA
Gotcha fellas, I typically dont find myself hunting in thicker timber.

However, I dont want the handicap if I find myself in a situation.

Makes me wonder how different the same reticles, namely MOAR, are in a F1 versus non-F1 NXS.

Is the reticle less defined in the F1?

at low power they dang sure are. FFP is a controversial issue. the simply fact of the matter is most people don't shoot much unless they are at the range. FFP is great if your mostly at max power or close to it. IE at the range. hunting your going to want the opposite and be on low power in case a fast shot is needed. FFP isn't what you want for a hunting scope IMO

Couldn't disagree more. IMO, reticle subtensions which are constant WRT to the target at any/all ranges/powers trump low power useability in field conditions (i.e., hunting) almost every time.

That said, and also IMO, many of the NF reticles are too fine for hunting applications.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LJB
That said, and also IMO, many of the NF reticles are too fine for hunting applications.

That explains your bias.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thin reticles kick ass, you just need illumination for later hours.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed, I'd send my 3-10 SHV back to the mothership tomorrow if they offered an illum upgrade for it... failing that, a guy has to pony up another $900 for the NXS version which is otherwise (size, weight, optics) more or less identical functionally, other than the superior feel and zero stop'd NXS turrets of course and the extra-uber-overbuilt qualities of the NXS...

I wish they'd offer something like the duplex Zeiss used to put in the Conquests, but with some windage hashes on the horizontal stadia.

On the zero-stop note, I make my own for my SHV and have made a few for forum members. Happy to make more (no charge). I'm putting the disclaimer on there that since "grounding out" against the ZS puts in essence upward pull on the erector internals, I don't think these zero stops are something to use aggressively- IE, crank down hard against it. I think of it as a safety net, just there as backup in case I were to forget what rev I was on. I set them up so that the actual stopping happens a couple MOA below nominal zero for just that reason. Anyway, they look like this; it's the black ring with a notch in it:

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LJB
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Gotcha fellas, I typically dont find myself hunting in thicker timber.

However, I dont want the handicap if I find myself in a situation.

Makes me wonder how different the same reticles, namely MOAR, are in a F1 versus non-F1 NXS.

Is the reticle less defined in the F1?

at low power they dang sure are. FFP is a controversial issue. the simply fact of the matter is most people don't shoot much unless they are at the range. FFP is great if your mostly at max power or close to it. IE at the range. hunting your going to want the opposite and be on low power in case a fast shot is needed. FFP isn't what you want for a hunting scope IMO

Couldn't disagree more. IMO, reticle subtensions which are constant WRT to the target at any/all ranges/powers trump low power useability in field conditions (i.e., hunting) almost every time.

so actually seeing the reticle at low power in bad light means nothing to you? good luck when someone left the illumination on your FFP scope without you knowing it and there is an animal jogging by at 50 yards at first light or last light and you can't even see the reticle. Go back to the gun range, who the hell cares about subtensions at low freaking power, you don't need them you need to simply make a quick shot, most long range hunting or areas where you can and do need to shoot long range. Often the shots can also be close. you don't need the features of the reticle unless your shooting long range, and at that time you have a chance to check what power your on and with the scopes I use I simply dial max power. Its either the least power or max power. my scopes does not see in between very much. then again I don't shoot that much at a gun range.

W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Yo Jeff, I just may have to take you up on the custom ZS.

BTW, do you fellas feel that the eye relief and eye box are a bit lacking at all?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yo Jeff, I just may have to take you up on the custom ZS.

BTW, do you fellas feel that the eye relief and eye box are a bit lacking at all?

Please do! PM me.

No, at least with the 3-10 SHV, I find the ER and EB to be great on a short action rifle.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hmm, thinking LA Mag Jeff-O....

Got a chance to spy through an NXS....big mistake 🤤

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 3-10 works just fine on a LA mag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally got some time in with my creedmoor ( I know , gasp) today. It's got s 4-14x50 f1 shv. Shot beside some nxs and atacr scoped rigs. Shot out to 1100yds. Dialed from 350-700 repeatedly to see how it tracked. No problems in 40 rounds. Mid morning to mid day. So can't comment on low light performance.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by starsky

If you use a picatinny rail.......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I'd have to use a rail. I like scopes back towards me- not enough tube for that on a LA. But for more normal folk it might be just fine. At any rate- it's a very easy scope to get behind.

WDEA- NXS are awesome and certainly my big NXS has great glass I'm pretty sure the SHV's have the same glass- at least in the case of the 2.5-10 NXS and 3-10 SHV they do. My buddy owns both and I've messed with his NXS a bitside by side.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you use Talleys.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nightforce one piece on mine.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
True BigDave, and you're running a M700 flat bridge round ring receiver.

If you're running round bridge and round receiver then picatinny is the only rail option.

Two piece opens options a bit.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Sure it will fit, just not very much adjustment, and won't be optimal for a lot of users!

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 06/11/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sure it will fit, just not very much adjustment, and won't be optimal for a lot of users!

I commented with my experience. Killed a bunch of stuff with it on a 7mag. YMMV.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

I commented with my experience. Killed a bunch of stuff with it on a 7mag. YMMV.

Ok.......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.