Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
458 Lott: Duly noted.

Klikitarik: I am the same way if the safety of someone else is involved. I also agree that experience and practice instill confidence that can/will be utilized in such situations, but I’m not sure fear of the unknown is the right phrase for me in these situations as I know, all too well, there are only two outcomes – one negative and one positive and I try to make sure it’s always the positive outcome. When faced with such a situation I have done and will continue to do whatever is necessary to succeed.

Jeff O: I also have experience with an attacking pit bull. I had a friend once who thought it was funny to sick his pit bull on me. He did this twice. The first time, I warned him that if he ever did that again I would kill his dog and then beat the crap out of him. He didn’t heed my warning. The second time, the dog came for me, latched onto my leg and started the violent pit bull headshake. I grabbed my handy club and I sharply rapped it on the head a few times, to no avail. I then used a lot more strength to club the dog in the head (I didn’t really want to kill it). It took 2 pretty hard blows (blows that probably would have crushed a human skull), but the dog let go of me and laid down dazed – I did not kill it. I then walked over to my friend and knocked him out with a blow to the side of the head (with my fist, not the club). I am not trying to brag of come off as some type of bad-a$$ (I’m definitely not), but from that point forward, he had his dog under control around me. Oddly enough, I did not experience an adrenaline rush, likely because I knew what I was going to do. I am confident that I can handle myself in an emergency, but more training would certainly help.

Smokepole: I’m sure you’re correct that adrenaline is hard to control. I just want to be able to use it to my benefit, but I’m not sure how to do this. As far as being lost, I’ve been turned around a few times in the woods, but I always calmly find a way out. I realize that panic is counter-productive.

Rost495: I agree that training is key. I definitely know what you mean about being in the zone as I too spent several years practicing archery many years ago – so much so, that I shot two “robin hoods,” a rare occurrence for me. I’ve been thinking through this quite a bit since I started this thread and what I’ve come to realize is that maybe it’s not the adrenaline, per se, but the shaking and loss of fine motor skills that is probably the result of rage, combined with the adrenaline. I think the problem is controlling the anger, but again, as I stated before, these are rare occurrences for me and it’s difficult to pin it down.

I think that smokepole has a good point regarding muscle memory. In the case of the pit bull attack, I already had a plan, executed that plan, and avoided the adrenaline all together. I can’t remember if I had the shakes afterwards or not, but the fact remains that training and knowing how one will respond to dangerous situations is clearly key.

Regarding 2legit2quit’s suggestion. I’m done with marrying crazy women, which is easier said than done. Besides, as mart posted in a previous thread of mine, “I read recently that 60% of all women are on meds for emotional or mental health issues. That's terrifying. That means the remaining 40% are running around unmediated.” Terrifying indeed..

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/05/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol I'm on wife #1 Jeff and I'm knocking on the door of 60 wink

if I have my druthers I'll never know what it's like to have an ex wife.

next I'll give advice on how to rebuild a car engine, another subject I know nada about blush

bears don't scare me much, snakes just a tab bit, women I should have been more scared of them, but what's that saying about "it" will take you places you wouldn't go with a machine gun whistle

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a serious note, feel for you High Noon, you have a kid involved so she's part of your life like it or not. Wish you the best sir. and double that for your lil human

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats why I said you have to train, its muscle memory, there is a better term for it that I still can not recall.

I will say you are one dumb SOB to hit another human being in the side of the head with your fist. Thats a good place to kill someone with a single punch. Seems like you definitely may have some rage and anger issues. You use the word rage. That might be your whole answer right there, you don't need training or anything else, you may simply need anger management. That in and of itself may allow everything else to flow smoothly. If you get so mad you shake or tremble, you are out of control and need help of some kind.

Mind you I didn't say I wasn't a dumb SOB at times of my life also. And that I didn't need to learn to control my rage also, but those things will get you killed or let you kill someone else that likely does not deserve it.
Trust me teh day you beat his dog and could have killed him you had adrenalin, for some reason you were it to big of a rage to even know you had the rush. IMHO thats bad ju ju. Will lead you down a dark path with blinders on and that tunnel vision will get more people killed than not having any other skills would.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If this is more a 'woman' question, a consideration I made when naming "fear of the unknown", you might need to learn how to succeed - in lieu of 'winning' sometimes. I would suggest that testosterone is more dangerous and less useful in situations such as you're talking about than is adrenaline- and perhaps you're confusing the two.

Nothing....nothing is an important as keeping your integrity intact, even if it feels like your dignity might be compromised. Just don't be the one compromising your dignity and you'll come out of it alright.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Roast495: That was at least 25 years ago and I feared severe injury from that dog - it was viscous and it could easily have ripped my leg muscles or worse. I did what I had to do in regard to the dog attack - and I previously warned him. I remember I was rather calm about the whole thing - maybe a bit scared that the dog was attacking me, but not angry and definitely not in a rage. As I stated, I am slow to anger. I remember I purposely did not use all my strength when I hit him - it was more of a jab, not a roundhouse - and I purposely restrained myself when I had to club the dog to get him off of me. I will admit that, on rare occasions, I do get so angry that I shake, but like I said, it happens rarely. I'm sure that most people can relate to this and most everyone has likely become extremely angry at some point in their lives and, in that respect, I'm sure I am like most people. Perhaps I do have rage/anger issues, but I can control my rage, even when in the midst of it. I know for a fact that I would never make an irreparable mistake regarding anyone due to anger - my morals intercede - every time. I always try to steer clear of trouble, but fighting for my life or for that of my daughter, would be a different matter entirely. I think you may have a point; however, that managing my anger would allow everything else to flow smoothly. I will look into it. Thanks.

Also, I cannot just ignore my ex. We have a young daughter, which obviously makes this suggestion impossible.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kilikarik: When I started this thread, I thought I understood the meaning of an adrenaline response. With the help of the good fellers on this forum, I see now that I may have been mistaken and I may, in fact, have confused adrenaline response, anger, and how testosterone affects me in high-stress situations. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and perspectives.

Regarding your comment that this may be more of a "Woman" question, perhaps that is part of the equation, since I find her so very irrational and crazy. You stated that I may need to learn how to succeed rather than win, which is a good point, if I understand you correctly. What I think this statement means is that I would succeed by not letting her drag me into yet another argument, because there is no winning with her. This is what I do at least 95% of the time - I do not engage her in her repetitious B.S. which, if it continues long enough, leads to me getting quite angry, and yes, I'm sure testosterone comes into play here. You also make an excellent point about keeping my integrity intact, even at the expense of dignity.

I will endeavor to persevere... wait... that won't work. As Lone Watie said in The Outlaw Jose Wales: "We thought about it for a long time. 'Endeavor to Persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
2legit2quit: Thanks. I appreciate your moral support. My daughter and I are very close and her well-being is my primary concern.

- Del Gue
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
The release of adrenaline is hard to control, it's physiological and it's a survival mechanism in and of itself. Maybe if you were charged by big bears often enough you could get used to that and control it; maybe not.

Same thing happens to most people if/when they realize they're lost. Unless they've been lost enough to get over the adrenaline dump.

You been there too? It's damned near a comfort level, anymore. smile

Last edited by las; 06/05/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
High Noon - You worry too much. Reading through this, I think that you are quite normal. Or at least witgin the parameters. But near the edge.

In "build-up" situations, you get stressed from multiple sources, over time (people have different stress levels and reactions to it), as does everyone- or at least myself. If you can plan for them, you do fine. If they are fluid (interpersonal), not so much.

For me, when the chit hits the fan suddenly , it is usually single source and the shakes come later, after it is over. During the incident time seems to slow down and the clarity is phenomenal. Options are considered and selected in an astounding fashion.

That isn't the case in interpersonal/ongoing situations.

Last edited by las; 06/05/17.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
High Noon - You worry too much. Reading through this, I think that you are quite normal. In "build-up" situations, you get stressed from multiple sources, over time (people have different stress levels and reactions to it), as does everyone- or at least myself.

When the chit hits the fan suddenly , it is usually single source and the shakes come later, after it is over. During the incident time seems to slow down and the clarity is phenomenal. Options are considered and selected in an astounding fashion.

That isn't the case in interpersonal/ongoing situations.

Nailed it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Never pull back on your punches.. If you're not mad enough to give someone everything you shouldn't swing.

I think you try to control your rage and it's making it worse. Just throat punch the next person that annoys you and if you do that often enough you'll overcome the adrenaline rush. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
las and FishinHank: Thanks. I suspected that was the case and I have experienced the clarity you mentioned. We'll leave it at that. Thanks for everyone's advice. Case closed.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Aces: Yep, throat punches are very effective and definitely easier on the hands. And you make a good point about not pulling back punches.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/06/17.

- Del Gue
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by las
The release of adrenaline is hard to control, it's physiological and it's a survival mechanism in and of itself. Maybe if you were charged by big bears often enough you could get used to that and control it; maybe not.

Same thing happens to most people if/when they realize they're lost. Unless they've been lost enough to get over the adrenaline dump.

Yep. "Aw, not this sh** again!"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Aces, I could move to AK quicker if I throat punch the next person that annoys me, that should happen in the next 30 minutes i"m sure.

Of course I"d have to get out of jail for being stupid and assaulting someone first... but wouldn't have a job left either. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Experience and confidence in your equipment and your self. Practice with your equipment will make you more confident. Get out when you can and hunt will help. Shoot when you can.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by las

Yep. "Aw, not this sh** again!"

First thing they tell you is:

If you are lost, don't panic". Right..... that just may be the hardest thing a person can do, logic be damned.

Takes experience to beat that gut-rising thing down...somewhere around 4-6 times. smile

Last edited by las; 06/12/17.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lost ain't no big deal to me anymore for the most part. I rarely ever leave a camp without enough stuff for the night out if need be. Thats confidence.

Nope I don't have to make it back to the sleeping bag...

Having spent a few nights out not by choice, where the tent, food and a bag would have been MUCH more pleasant, but realizing I also survived, no big deal...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Adrenaline is your friend
Like all good friends it needs to treat it with respect rather than fear.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 3,413 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.