Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I thought the NYT said the market would crash immediately after a Trump win?

Stock market will rise 50 percent, esteemed economist says
By Jonathon Trugman June 4, 2017 | 2:04am

Modal Trigger Stock market will rise 50 percent, esteemed economist says

Alphabet shares pass $1,000 mark for the first time ever

How to get a start in the cryptocurrency game

Court agrees to limit SEC case against FBI informant

What we know about Swiss National Bank's investment in US stocks
It’s not very often that a Nobel Prize-winning economist who is known for his bearish calls turns extremely bullish.

Last week, professor Robert Shiller of Yale, who called the housing collapse 10 years ago, proclaimed that stocks could rise another 50 percent in the next few years based upon his latest research. Meaning Dow 30,000!

That got the attention of many folks, especially the Wall Street analysts, many of whom don’t understand this market.

Shiller accurately saw the housing bubble and predicted that it would end very badly, as it did. He also co-developed the S&P/Case-Shiller index, which is a benchmark to measuring housing prices around major US cities.

What many may not know is that in the 1990s he developed a stock price measurement ratio called the cyclically adjusted price-to-earnings (CAPE) ratio for stock valuations.

The CAPE ratio measures stock prices in relation to long-term earnings and inflation. At current levels, Shiller’s own CAPE ratio is not flashing a buying opportunity, which makes his call even more interesting.

In fact, based on his CAPE ratio, stock prices are actually high right now. However, like many of the other ratios out there in academia and on Wall Street, interest rates are not weighted in it.

In fact, Shiller pointed out that the CAPE ratio he trusts is actually expensive now at 29. Its average is 17.

“I would say, have some stocks in your portfolio. It could go up 50 percent from here. That’s what it did around 2000 — after it reached this level, it went up another 50 percent.”

In 2000 the economy was about 12 months away from the top of the internet bubble, which also ended badly.

The key to Shiller’s call is President Trump’s tax policy. “If factors go right and there are tax cuts for corporations, it’s not that hard to understand.”

So making a great short call followed up a decade later by a great long call would give Shiller an A+ in my book. And make investors a pretty penny along the way.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JAYSUS SAVES!....

But Moses INVESTS..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't be buying anything right now. The market has pretty much been going straight up for 7 months and that never lasts. The fact that nearly nobody thinks the market can go down worries me and makes me think we will see some kind of correction that surprises everyone. We're in the normal seasonal top (sell in May and go away) and every article I read tells me why "this time is different..." One thing I've learned is when everyone says this time is different, it usually isn't LOL. I just cashed out of my small position. I had 30k at work and made about 6k profit on it. Probably look to get back in during the normal seasonal low around September October time frame.

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 06/05/17.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It will fall too.

Sooner or later... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
No reason to be afraid. I just bought some stuff last week.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really hope you have the best of luck with that. My problem is when they stop talking about "buy low, sell high" and start rationalizing "buy high, sell higher", it's almost over.

MOLON LABE
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Get in, stay in, keep 15% - 20% in cash. When the market tanks, you use the cash to buy now that things are "on sale" and ride it back up and recoup your losses + some. Works best when you start young.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Well it took me a little time to find the original article because it appeared in the NY Post rather than the times. What Shiller said is that it could go up 50% because that is what the market did in the last 6 months prior to the 2000 peak--which was followed by crash of the DJIA going from 16,700 to 10,300. Shiller's quote is not historically accurate, by the way, based on the DJIA.

If you are buying US equities now, you have got to be thinking market timing, rather than long term investing in an under-priced asset class

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by utah708
Well it took me a little time to find the original article because it appeared in the NY Post rather than the times. What Shiller said is that it could go up 50% because that is what the market did in the last 6 months prior to the 2000 peak--which was followed by crash of the DJIA going from 16,700 to 10,300. Shiller's quote is not historically accurate, by the way, based on the DJIA.

If you are buying US equities now, you have got to be thinking market timing, rather than long term investing in an under-priced asset class

He's basically saying that a market in a bubble CAN go up longer than people expect. But to me, that's playing chicken.

MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I suspect the only thing less advisable than giving financial advice is taking it.

Particularly from a group of ideologues of any stripe.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I suspect the only thing less advisable than giving financial advice is taking it.

Particularly from a group of ideologues of any stripe.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
So, how many times did the fed head say she would raise interest rates in order to crash the Trump economy, and did the author factor that in-yet?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
buy, buy, buy. there's always a greater fool out there somewheres..until there's not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My barber hasn't started talking to me about investing in stocks, so we're not at the top, yet....

Stocks aren't cheap right now, but I don't see a long term pull back yet. Short term, sure, absolutely, but timing those is a fool's errand.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by hatari
Get in, stay in, keep 15% - 20% in cash. When the market tanks, you use the cash to buy now that things are "on sale" and ride it back up and recoup your losses + some. Works best when you start young.

Bingo.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Originally Posted by utah708

He's basically saying that a market in a bubble CAN go up longer than people expect. But to me, that's playing chicken.

That's why you set triggers.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
buy high, sell low, lose money on every transaction but make up for it in volume.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd just go long on pork bellies, you never loose on those. Everyone loves bacon!

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I'd just go long on pork bellies, you never loose on those. Everyone loves bacon!

Now THERE'S an investment I can't endorse.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't know what you are doing, let me recommend someone who has really helped me and my investing strategy. When the student is ready, the teacher will come.

Rida Morwa

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,043
Posts18,500,820
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.