Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
My F-250 pickup has a manual transmission. It's not obsolete either, but it's no longer offered. Lots of folks just don't know how to use a manual tranny anymore.

I got rid of all my manual transmission cars because I figured under stress I would forget how to shift gears.

Drop the mike.

Ok that was good

But for real life, family etc I'm still a fan of KISS

but then I've always been a fan of using the gear that works for you, not others.

And yep the Indian every time

Ain't no technology that replaces skill and the ability to function in high stress situations

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 06/13/17.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
...But bottom line a handgun is a tool...Guns are cool and I've always liked em but at the end of the day they're a tool...Handgun is the tool you choose cause it's impractical to carry a rifle ...

….I understand the sentiment, but just can't bring myself to view guns in general and handguns in specific as just a tool……there's art, romance and maybe a little religion or at least moral philosophy in their DNA which makes them much more "alive" than a shovel or a hammer or any other tool IMO---but then I'm a child of the 50's and 60's when patriotism, manhood and most noble characteristics were manifested on TV and in the movies by the actor's portrayal of gun handling. I can't visualize Shane's Single Action Army as a shovel. I can't see Vic Morrow (from "Combat")'s Thompson as a hammer. Jimmy Stewart's rifle in "Winchester 73" had a life of it's own and nothing like tool.

Some guns like the 1911 have a "soul" independent of their use and a value beyond the sum of their parts…..others develop a "soul" by their use…..the first time that I saw Ken Hackathorn shoot a drill with a G-19, I saw a Glock with a soul. Hackathorn once said that Glocks were the perfect gun for someone that treats their pistol the way they treat their lawnmower----Ken's a died in the wool 1911 guy that frequently uses Glocks because that's what most of his students showed up with. While I generally carry a Wiley Clapp Cmdr., I've come to like striker fired, tupperware guns just because they're pragmatic and easier to train new shooters with than a 1911. That certainly doesn't make a 1911 "obsolete" anymore than single malt scotch makes microbrewery beer "obsolete." It may achieve the ultimate result quicker, but in the end it's a matter of taste.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I started with Ruger single 6 convertible to 22 magnum, had a high standard GB model (IIRC), high power, model 70 colt with the weird bushing, gold cups, pythons, model 27 smiths, 19 smiths, dozens of 5 shot smith and wesson guns, a few ruger revolvers, then a couple of Kimbers,SIG's, HK's some more colt 1911's had an old remington rand for a while, horribly inaccurate, even a Keltec gosh I cannot remember them all... then glocks and more glocks most all 9mm but I have had a few 40's, 10mm, 45acp glocks. I have had more than one 1911 bobble on me over the years, failure of one type or another most run fine for a lot of rounds but several have not a time or five. The glocks I don't ever clean them I guess I should once in a while, in 20 years I cannot recall one of them not working when called to do so. I shot a bunch of lead bullets out of the 40's before someone told me it was not safe. So I usually carry a G43 or G19 these days. I don't think they are perfection because their plastic sights suck, the grip aint the best, early plastic magazines sucked, however they have been more reliable for me. I have no idea but guess I have owned over 200 plus or so handguns however Glocks, Ruger Revolvers and SW revolvers have been the most reliable.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,626
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.