-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Combat Commander still has a place in the remuda. It goes out for a walk every so often. Two extra mags, all in Sam Andrews leather.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby
A lot happened in the year 1911.

This is 2017 with all the technology advances and 106 years of history.

If you type in only 1 9 1 1 in a Google search you get dozens and dozens of pages about some gun that was named that year.

Must be something to it.

I think I will get one.

Well, I doubt that you'll have any trouble finding another one to add to your collection..........................for an "obsolete" gun, there are more companies making them today than ever & sales don't seem to have slowed down much.

Maybe the OP or someone else can post up a definition of "obsolete" for us all to read so we'll all know that our 1911's aren't fit to carry or use anymore & we can all just thrown them in the re-melt pile. wink

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Maybe the OP or someone else can post up a definition of "obsolete" for us all to read

It's a lot more fun to watch folks talk past each other.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own three 9mm pistols.

A Sig P226, a Glock 43 and my latest, a Springfield Armory EMP 4.

Have owned MANY more over the years.

I've always been able to shoot a 1911 better than any other pistol, and this new EMP 4 is the best feeling/pointing pistol I've ever had. (for ME!)

Being about 7/8 scale, It fits MY hands and points perfect for ME.

I use my little Glock for deep concealment, and "jammie pocket" carry.

The Sig goes along when I feel the need for high capacity, but my every day/all day carry gun is the EMP 4.

For ME, the 1911 is NOT obsolete.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny how some can't grasp that in a life or death situation having a firearm that can be safely carried loaded and the only thing you need to manipulate to fire it is the trigger is an advancement vs. a gun that requires two safeties to be manipulated to fire it.

I'm a huge fan of the 1911, it was the first handgun I fired and at a young age I was adept at field stripping one. It many ways no handgun will compare to it for me.

That said, for life and death I want the simplest and most reliably manipulated pistol for the task which IMHO is not the 1911. Maybe the 1911 has an accuracy edge, but I have no problem making center of mass hits with a striker fired pistol well past the 25yd line.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Maybe the OP or someone else can post up a definition of "obsolete" for us all to read so we'll all know that our 1911's aren't fit to carry or use anymore & we can all just thrown them in the re-melt pile. wink

MM

It just means, in this context, that it's been surpassed by technological development and changes in thinking about concealed carry priorities. It's not technically obsolete, though, since it's still manufactured and enjoys solid sales numbers, not to mention that it sits in many holsters. Those who argue for its being obsolete, however, would explain this on the basis of old habit, nostalgia, and romanticism, rather than on the basis of its still being a state of the art design.

Can it still serve its intended function? Of course. You can still drive a Model T, also, if you like. Many still do, in fact, because they just enjoy doing it. Same with the 1911, although in greater numbers than is the case with the Model T.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Is the 1911 obsolete?

Is the 40 dead?

Are revolvers dead......

Guys! get out and shoot! If you are re-hashing the same old stuff, go shoot more!

BTW,

I played with something new and a little different this last weekend.

The new Wilson Combat EDC X9

Sadly not mine... Out of this average Joes price range.

[Linked Image]

This belongs to a friend in the industry, who is a friend of Bill Wilson's.
We were at a shoot/social gathering this last weekend. Very well built.

All metal
G19 size
No grip safety
Bushingless bull barrel
15 round mags

I was told that they cannot make them fast enough.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Funny how some can't grasp that in a life or death situation having a firearm that can be safely carried loaded and the only thing you need to manipulate to fire it is the trigger is an advancement vs. a gun that requires two safeties to be manipulated to fire it.

I'm a huge fan of the 1911, it was the first handgun I fired and at a young age I was adept at field stripping one. It many ways no handgun will compare to it for me.

That said, for life and death I want the simplest and most reliably manipulated pistol for the task which IMHO is not the 1911. Maybe the 1911 has an accuracy edge, but I have no problem making center of mass hits with a striker fired pistol well past the 25yd line.

Precisely. Well said.

PS I, too, was adept at field stripping a 1911 at age 14.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Is the 1911 obsolete?

Is the 40 dead?

Are revolvers dead......

Guys! get out and shoot! If you are re-hashing the same old stuff, go shoot more!

BTW,

I played with something new and a little different this last weekend.

The new Wilson Combat EDC X9

Sadly not mine... Out of this average Joes price range.

[Linked Image]

This belongs to a friend in the industry, who is a friend of Bill Wilson's.
We were at a shoot/social gathering this last weekend. Very well built.

All metal
G19 size
No grip safety
Bushingless bull barrel
15 round mags

I was told that they cannot make them fast enough.

Sounds pretty cool.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Of the 5 definitions of 'obsolete', found in Dictionary.com, these are the only 2 that apply when evaluating the question of obsolescence of equipment or technology:
1.no longer in general use; fallen into disuse:
2.of a discarded or outmolded type; out of date.

There is clear evidence, even on this Forum and Thread, to show that the first definition, "no longer in general use; fallen into disuse," does not apply to the 1911. That only leaves I suppose, the argument that the 1911 platform is "out of date." But if so, then the proof would need to be offered by those who make the assertion that the 1911 is no longer effective or functional - and as a result has been discarded - in its intended role as a SD pistol. The number of examples to refute that claim are legion, whether we cite the last 106 years or the last 12 months.

The responses that some, or many, may have a preference for pistols with other characteristics - made out of plastic, SF, higher capacity, pink or blue, etc. - does not render the 1911 'obsolete'. It just implies that an individual or group prefers another type of pistol.

My answer to the OP: GG, I think that your question is more frivolous that real, probably intended to stir up a contentious debate, as is your pattern. But if your intent was to create definitive proof that the 1911 JMB design is obsolete, the answer is clearly NO. If you believed that modern designs that replace 1911 features have replaced or superseded it, you wouldn't be depending on the M1935 to save your life.

To each his own, but personal opinion does not constitute proof. My 2 cents.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have never seen a Glock worn at a Barbecue show off. Case closed.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I like Glocks a lot, I like the PPQ, the Shield and a others. Having said that, the 1911 takes first place for the triggers. Some come close but not close enough.

Off topic, but I remembered something today about my Glocks. I was visiting a neighbor who is a Glock guru. I told him my favorite Glock is my old 21. I said I thought I would like the finger nubs, but I like the older model. And I Said it has a better trigger than the rest.

His reply, it's because it's a Gen 2 and they had 5 pound triggers. I went and looked at the box and sure enough, a 5 lb. all the newer ones have a 5.5 lb.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]

That is not a barbecue gun.

You know people will talk behind your back at these pretentious occasions. Be careful.

If your aiming to get donations, it might work.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I do not own a Glock. I looked at a Talon model just a month ago. I was close to buying it just because. But after handling it awhile, I decided not to get it. I have huge hands. I cannot even find gloves if they do not stretch. I could not actuated the magazine release without distorting my shooting grip to a point of being ridiculous. That does not happen on my 1911's. All of them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
...My answer to the OP: GG, I think that your question is more frivolous that real, probably intended to stir up a contentious debate...if your intent was to create definitive proof that the 1911 JMB design is obsolete, the answer is clearly NO. ...To each his own, but personal opinion does not constitute proof. My 2 cents.

Amen, bro.

It has been fun reading the often contradictory opinions however.

Hard to come to terms with the fact that someone like Rob Leatham is better defended with a Colt Single Action Army than I am with the latest whiz-bang, high cap, tactical-wetdream-gun; in a mano-a-mano, Rob would make me obsolete muy pronto. All of the chest-beating, verbal masturbation doesn't change the fact that it's still the Indian and not the arrow.
JMO-YMMV.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well said gmoats.

But John Browning was a genius in ergonomics. His subjects of study were hundreds of GI's. Very few gun have ergonomics better than the 1911 and the Browning High Power (Hi Power). Arguably the Germans never came close.

That was probably before the word ergonomics was in the dictionaries.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Is it permissible, then, to acknowledge that the 1911 is far from state of the art technology, if we cannot rightly label it obsolete? This is what I think people mean when they suggest it's obsolete, anyway, i.e., the term is being used figuratively.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Gibby, what happened to 100% correct?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me obsolete is something like a typewriter - or a gun you can't buy ammo for.
Saying a 1911 is obsolete is just hyperbolic shorthand meaning less than state of the art.

Last edited by night_owl; 06/10/17.

abusus non tollit usum
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 16penny, 405winash, 35, 13 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,648
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.