-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally read the whole thread. What a hoot.

As for the comparison of the 1911 to the Model T.....

1) The model T is no longer in production, and few spare parts are on the shelf.
2) The Model T is a danger on modern expressways, due to it's speed limitation - unless highly modified.
3) With its original engine, the Model T would not survive modern fuels.
4) Regardless of the operator's skill, the Model T is far less survivable in a collision than modern vehicles.
5) The model T looks great in a parade.

1) 1911 - current production is robust. Spare parts, abundant.
2) 1911 is as easy and as fast and accurate (with proper training) to the first shot as any modern design.
3) Any current common ammo that works in any other .45 auto will work in a proper 1911 without damaging it.
4) Operator's survival will be largely dependent on skill.
5) The 1911 looks great in a parade.

One out of five ain't bad. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite reply to this topic, so far....

Originally Posted by muffin
To the OP:

In the same way that a wood burning fireplace is obsolete for home heat.................

Guess I don't know what to make of it though. I heat with wood almost exclusively, and it's cheaper, and more comfortable than most other sources I have available (and yes, I live in civilization). But it does take some skill in acquisition and use. wink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe

To the OP:

In the same way that a wood burning fireplace is obsolete for home heat.................

Guess I don't know what to make of it though. I heat with wood almost exclusively, and it's cheaper, and more comfortable than most other sources I have available (and yes, I live in civilization). But it does take some skill in acquisition and use. wink

So you're still using the Franklin wood stove, rather than a more technologically advanced model?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

To the OP:

So you're still using the Franklin wood stove, rather than a more technologically advanced model?

Actually - my FIL is. But his needs are small. He stays away from high value targets too.

[edit: Strike that - my FIL's stove isn't even as advanced as a Franklin stove. /edit]

But no - my wood stove has more modern adaptations that help. So does my 1911. With either of them, skill and knowledge of the device are paramount.

Last edited by FreeMe; 06/12/17.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep, I get it. Those who choose a carry gun other than the venerable 1911 do so due to not possessing handgun skill.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How many are still using the 1911 in a professional capacity vs. the glock or other plastic pistols, there must be more reason other than cost?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

To the OP:

FirePlace or Wood Stove - 1911

Does it do the job requested yes/yes
Should you hand the noobie a box of matches/bullets and say go for it? no/no
Are there limitations? yes/yes
Can they be operated safely? yes/yes
Can the techinicals of use be learned? yes/yes
Is 'fodder' generally available? yes/yes
Do naked women look good in the 'glow' of one? yes/yes
Can women learn to use them? yes/yes
Should they? wink / wink
Can they be customized? yes/yes
Should you have one in the shower? no/no
How about the outhouse? sure,why not/absolutely!
Could they be considered 'Art'? yes/YES

I'm sure there are many more considerations.

Nice thread!

[Linked Image]

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, I get it. Those who choose a carry gun other than the venerable 1911 do so due to not possessing handgun skill.

Oh hell no. That is not my point. You know I have been carrying a couple of striker pistols much of the time myself. I will admit though that I gravitate to the strikers and to revolvers when I feel delinquent in practice with my SA autos. Currently, I have unusual physical limitations that restrict me from using any manual safety with my right hand for defensive purposes, as a practical matter - so I;m glad we have a choice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Oh hell no. That is not my point. You know I have been carrying a couple of striker pistols much of the time myself. I will admit though that I gravitate to the strikers and to revolvers when I feel delinquent in practice with my SA autos. Currently, I have unusual physical limitations that restrict me from using any manual safety with my right hand for defensive purposes, as a practical matter - so I;m glad we have a choice.

OK, I see what you mean.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

Now were talking.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it's just me (probably is), I guess since my background is in executive protection, I find it strange that no one mentions threat assessment whatsoever in helping to determine their weapon choice. Now maybe that's more pertinent in choosing between carrying a picket gun, vs. a holster gun. But I think it can be pertinent in determining your holster gun...at least a little. For me, since I live in an area where shootings are for the most part unheard of, and in the rare instance when they do happen, it has yet to be a multiple threat scenario; I kinda use that knowledge to make me feel a little more warm & fuzzy about carrying something with a single column magazine or revolver in the case of my pocket guns.

When I carry my Colt Agent, LW Comander, Hi Power, CZ-75, or CZ-P09; I don't fee any "less armed" with any of them in my area. Now if I were in a locale where violence was much more common place, where shootings happen at least semi-frequently, or God forbid, frequently. Well then, I'm going to be very choosy about what I carry. I'll be carrying Hi-Cap and maybe even two spare mags. (and an air strike on speed dial!!)

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmoats
….not wanting to be amazingly arrogant nor oblivious to it……the fact that many (almost all) of the new striker-fired guns have retro-engineered slide (thumb) safeties on their guns AFTER the original specie hit the market would seem to be a giant fly in the ointment of that argument. The Govt. mandated safety on the military version of the Sig 320 would seem to unravel the "obsolescence" issue of the argument that people with an adrenaline dump can't/won't work the safety. The non-Govt mandated companies (S&W M&P for example) voluntarily added the safety (and did a VERY poor job of it btw. So it would seem that "modern trends" as you call them are not a straight and narrow path, in fact, the trend appears to have made a U-turn.

Very insightful.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm wondering mechanically how the new M17 safety actually works? The reason I ask is the M9 safety is a safety/decocker and the way the USAF loads the M9 is with the safety on and the slide locked back, insert the muzzle into the clearing barrel opening, insert the magazine, drop the slide, flip the safety off, and holster the weapon.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny thread. Assuming you have:

1. A reliable gun/ammo combo that goes bang every time (this goes for 1911 as well as polymer striker guns).
2. An operator who knows how to use their equipment (again, this goes for a 1911 as well as polymer).

The 1911 is as good as anything and most likely better than most (as in easier to make hits quickly), at least until mag capacity runs out. I suppose it is up to the operator to determine if the last 2 to 7 rounds a polymer gun carries are important. What it really comes down to is what works for the individual. Excellent work can be done with many platforms. Most folks find it easier to make good hits quickly with a good trigger, which the 1911 possesses in spades.

I can and have won competitions with a stock Glock. I have done it with stock 1911's as well. I like them both, and don't feel under armed with either. I enjoy shooting 1911's more, at least right now.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I'm wondering mechanically how the new M17 safety actually works? The reason I ask is the M9 safety is a safety/decocker and the way the USAF loads the M9 is with the safety on and the slide locked back, insert the muzzle into the clearing barrel opening, insert the magazine, drop the slide, flip the safety off, and holster the weapon.

The M17 thumb safety is a trigger block that doesn't affect slide manipulation.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K1500
The 1911 is as good as anything and most likely better than most (as in easier to make hits quickly), at least until mag capacity runs out. I suppose it is up to the operator to determine if the last 2 to 7 rounds a polymer gun carries are important.

Apparently the 1911 can be assumed to be a micro to full-size, $399 to $5,000, .22 to .50 caliber, but it can't be any more than 7+1 or less than 38-oz. due to the 1911 vs. Glock Rulebook. smirk

[Linked Image]

Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a 2011, not a 1911. But yes, the same basic design can also have the capacity advantage of a Glock. And in most handgun competition that allows the shooter to choose, that's what they pick...the capacity of the Glock and the trigger of the 1911.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's a 2011, not a 1911. But yes, the same basic design can also have the capacity advantage of a Glock. And in most handgun competition that allows the shooter to choose, that's what they pick...the capacity of the Glock and the trigger of the 1911.
I would never choose one for defense though. I was at a competition once and there was a part where the competitor walked/ran down a little sidewalk. Well the competitor in question had an STI and actually tripped when stepping up onto the sidewalk portion, came down really fast and slammed the pistol on the pavement, which separated the polymer section from the steel rail section...a bit sobering. Felt bad for the guy, because it was a VERY nice STI.

One of the absolute best competition pistols out there, but not a combat pistol (at least in my book).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Funny thread. Assuming you have:

1. A reliable gun/ammo combo that goes bang every time (this goes for 1911 as well as polymer striker guns).
2. An operator who knows how to use their equipment (again, this goes for a 1911 as well as polymer).

The 1911 is as good as anything and most likely better than most (as in easier to make hits quickly), at least until mag capacity runs out. I suppose it is up to the operator to determine if the last 2 to 7 rounds a polymer gun carries are important. What it really comes down to is what works for the individual. Excellent work can be done with many platforms. Most folks find it easier to make good hits quickly with a good trigger, which the 1911 possesses in spades.

I can and have won competitions with a stock Glock. I have done it with stock 1911's as well. I like them both, and don't feel under armed with either. I enjoy shooting 1911's more, at least right now.

Most sensible post yet. Most of the discussion on this thread consists of the handgun equivalent of the rifle loonies' "ballistic gack." The guy on the trigger is still the critical element. Most of the actual gunfight winners I've known know little and care less about all this. Just as so many successful hunters aren't "gun guys", neither are most successful gunfighters.

Let 'her rip...flame suit on.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What is the ratio of 1911's to striker fired guns these days in competition? What type of competitions did you shoot and win with the 1911 K1500?

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,948
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.