Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm also thinking about reading titties in the shower.

Braille.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Feeling the good times...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by k20350
Just got done with my route. 10 years over the road 7 coming home everyday now. Restaurant delivery. Super fun getting a tractor-trailer in and out of parking lots that were designed to keep trucks out. Offloaded 1170 cases by hand today. Manual labor part sucks but I make more being home every day and working 4 days a week than I ever did running the road.

My hat's off to you food service guys. Unloading a 53' trailer by hand while dodging traffic....... uugghhh.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I thank you good folks that deliver the goods. Keep those big rigs between the fences, and shiny side up, greasy side down.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I am a Jimmy Jammer! I am tonight at the big TA Truck Stop in Laredo.
That is a great old time trucking song, never heard that one before.
you need to give me a heads up so we can grab a bite to eat Laredo is only a short drive from CC.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
OK, stxhunter! I never get down to Corpus Christi but if you want to drive up here to Laredo sometime, that would be great.
I often do my 34 hour reset here in Laredo.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Yes I have a sleeper and I must say it is a damn comfortable bunk. I am going to hit it in about 5 minutes.
Thank you, we are often unappreciated but in fact, truck driving is one of the most important jobs.
If all truck drivers disappeared tomorrow, it would take about 5 days for a complete collapse of civilization.
Imagine, no chicken, bread, or milk at your grocery store. No gas at your gas station.
Especially in the big cities, it would take about 5 days without trucks, and the slaughter would begin. Bad guys from the inner city would roam
out to the suburbs, and kill helpless suburbanites for a bottle of vodka and a can of pork and beans.

[Linked Image]
Here I am at the big TA Truck Stop in Laredo.

I ran Laredo for about a Year....Had to be there every Monday morn...I would drop my Trailer off of Killam Industrail Blvd....Grab one Loaded with Appliances and Head to Memphis Tn. Then back to Hickory with a load of Paper products...and call it a week....I never spent the Night at the TA in Laredo....... I would grab a Shower and Fuel and Get the Hell Out..It used to be a pretty rough place...How is it Now? It was a Good run While it lasted...

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 06/10/17.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, Killiam Industrial Blvd. I go down that street about 4 times a week.
I often do my 34 hour reset here at the TA of Laredo. In six years I have spent the night here at least 300 times.
Never have had a problem.
The only problem I have heard of here in Laredo, a guy who worked for my company was across the road at the Flying J.
He went in to take a shower.
When he got back to the truck his dog was barking like hell and looking up at the ceiling.
He said "Shut up you dumb dog." And he headed north.

He got to the INS check point at mm 30 and next thing he knew, he was standing on the street in handcuffs.
Two Mexicans had gotten up into the space above the cab and were taking a free ride into El Norte.

He realized his dog wasn't so dumb.
He had a lot of explaining to do but they let him go after a few hours.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I miss it.. I have been off the rd for about 8 years....Drive a little Local sometimes...I would go back on the road if they would pay me what I am Worth....... grin

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, I agree with you Kentucky Mountain Man. I make $65K a year. Pretty good pay. But, I stay out on the road for 14 days, and then get just 2 days off! If I am lucky I will get three days off. I should be making a lot more money.

I was just talking to a WalMart driver in Seguin Texas the other day. Five days on the road and then two days off. Does all his 34 hour resets at home. I didn't ask what he gets paid but starting drivers at WalMart get $82K. This guy has to be making $95K.

So when I drive for 14 days I get 2 days off for $65K. WalMart guy drives for 15 days, he gets 6 days off, and for $95K! Now that is more like it.

I am 66 years old, will probably only drive for another year.
But I know I will be like you, I will really miss it when I get out of the industry. I really like this job.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Heck today its power-on, power-off except in limited cases driver seldom touches loads. Trucks are computerized, GPS Tracked, loads are micro-chipped and most likely will soon be driverless...

Drivers today have luxuries right there at the reach, motor-home sized sleepers (fully equipped), air-conditioning, power steering, short-sticked synchronized tranny's many with auto's and cruise control...

If you haven't driven truck before containerization and the liberal use of forklifts and power conveyors you haven't driven truck, back in the day when heavy loads were winched up down-boards, and everything was manhandled...

Last truck I drove on a regular basis was a 2012 Pete conventional with set-back front axle and tag on back with a 50 ton crane mounted on the frame pulling a 28 foot trailer behind. What a piece of crap!

Give me the old day's when climate control was the crank on the door opening and closing the window (sometimes), and no power steering (thank you) its for sissy's

When drivers had better know everything about their trucks, because 10 to 1 it was going to be them doing any maintenance on it.

Back to the subject on Trucker music, the hay-day was from around 62' to 77', but there was some really good stuff going all the way back to the mid to late 30's, seems to have died out in the late 80's.

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a driver but I work for a KW dealer, helping to keep you guys on the road.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by k20350
Just got done with my route. 10 years over the road 7 coming home everyday now. Restaurant delivery. Super fun getting a tractor-trailer in and out of parking lots that were designed to keep trucks out. Offloaded 1170 cases by hand today. Manual labor part sucks but I make more being home every day and working 4 days a week than I ever did running the road.

My hat's off to you food service guys. Unloading a 53' trailer by hand while dodging traffic....... uugghhh.

Don't feel bad for us we get paid pretty well haha. Added benefit I lost 65 lbs the first year I started doing it after being on the road for 10 years. I was getting pretty husky. I'm probably in better shape than I was in high school. The first month I thought I was going to die getting out of bed in the mornings I was so sore.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was, 7 days on/3 off, followed by 7 days on/4 off in the other truck, for about 5 years. I've been local and home almost every night and weekend for the last 6+ years. I make a slightly more money, and don't spend a ton of money living on the road anymore since becoming local. I've been off work for the last 6 weeks following hernia surgery, and will be back at it again tomorrow.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Monroe, Flatt, and Scruggs... heck is there anyone that doesn't like Bluegrass? Brings back the day of the old RCA-Victor 78's and listening to the Grand Ole' Opra on the radio Saturday evenings.

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a good pay day....!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Either that or getting a load of cattle out of the haylot.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That was a load going out to grass so payday in a few....

Always a nice sight though!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,620
Posts18,492,682
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.