Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Soon it will collapse perfectly into its own footprint. That's what modern, steel framed, skyscrapers do when they catch fire.

Jesus... Desperate to get that KOTY award back again, huh?

Are you suggesting that this isn't what normally happens??? I can point to three examples of it in New York City, all on the same day.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No. I'm suggesting that you are a smooth brained idiot.

Last edited by Steve; 06/14/17.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
they're reporting 6 dead, 74 injured

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
they're reporting 6 dead, 74 injured

Unfortunately, I believe it will go up significantly. I heard no one survived on the top 3 floors.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Muzzies burned it down. They have a scorched earth plan.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.....The HELL did they make that "Rain Proof Siding / cladding" out of,

.....looks like they compressed old out of spec highway flares, slurried with napalm.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Which implies that I'm wrong, because smooth brained folks are often wrong, right? So tell me why it's not the case that it's normal for modern, steel framed, skyscrapers that catch fire to come down perfectly into their own footprints? I need education on that. Did I, or did I not, see three such examples in New York City? Or are you suggesting that those three examples were exceptional somehow? If so, how?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nightmare right there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow !!! My bride, DIL and grandson were scheduled to leave Dublin for London about 2 hours ago . . . hope they are not supposed to stay anywhere near there.

Sad to see a "modern" construction building go up in flames (apparently very fast, too) like that. Prayers for the residents and their families. Doesn't look good for survivors, I'm sure the death toll will rise dramatically.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Which implies that I'm wrong, because smooth brained folks are often wrong, right? So tell me why it's not the case that it's normal for modern, steel framed, skyscrapers that catch fire to come down perfectly into their own footprints? I need education on that. Did I, or did I not, see three such examples in New York City? Or are you suggesting that those three examples were exceptional somehow? If so, how?

Obtuseness is such a winning strategy.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Otter
Wow !!! My bride, DIL and grandson were scheduled to leave Dublin for London about 2 hours ago . . . hope they are not supposed to stay anywhere near there.

Sad to see a "modern" construction building go up in flames (apparently very fast, too) like that. Prayers for the residents and their families. Doesn't look good for survivors, I'm sure the death toll will rise dramatically.

Different standards in high rise construction over there. HOw did the sprinkler system not kick in?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Grenfell Tower didn't have an working Grinnell fire protection system.

I know, I know. Terrible play on words. But it seems that once something isn't working or systems in place it precipitates an whole chain failures. Flammable materials, blocked escape ways, no alarm.

Just wondering how they came to the conclusion is was an fridge failure so quickly. That's an pretty quick determination

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was built in 1974, modern is a relative term. Fire alarm and sprinkler systems need to be routinely inspected and maintained to function properly.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As was already mentioned, any pressurized (and those that aren't pressurized but has liquid plus space) vessel can "explode" when heated. This is called a BLEVE and there are many interesting videos of such events. I've seen them ranging from aerosol cans and vehicle struts on up to 40 lbs propane cylinders and water heaters. The latter have been sent 30 feet into the air through 2 floors, a ceiling, and the roof so there was plenty of energy provided by the water left in the heater.

The "exploding" pressure system only drew attention to the problem, it wasn't the cause of the fire.

As for the material covering the building, that is too difficult to tell on the information available. It is possible that the material was rated as "fire resistant" but that does not mean "fire proof". The material could also have degraded through exposure to the elements or lack of maintenance. Once this occurs, the possibility of the material catching fire increases.

As for the sprinklers not working, that is to be expected for a fire that spreads from the outside in. Sprinklers are set up to control a fire starting in the open spaces inside a building and would not even trip until the fire burned into the building. By the time that occurred, the fire would too large to control, even if the sprinklers could hit the flames.

And if only the common areas such as hallways were the sprinkled areas, and not the individual units which is not uncommon in retrofits in this country, a fire in an apartment can spread easily. The same can be said if the fridge was blocking the fire from the sprinkler. If the fridge was near an open window, the fire would spread that direction and could spread to the outside before heat built to the point of setting off a sprinkler head.

This is a horrific tragedy and prayers go out to all affected. Hopefully, what is learned will prevent similar tragedies from happening in the future.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 06/14/17.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

All I'm saying is that it's normal for this to happen. That it happened three times in a row (all on the same day) in NYC is proof (or at least strong evidence) that I'm correct, is it not?

What position are you taking on this question? Is it your contention that what happened in NYC on 9/11, i.e., three modern, steel framed, skyscrapers collapsing perfectly into their own footprints as a result of catching fire, isn't normal??? What's your evidence for that extraordinary claim? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, do they not? Support your claim that what happened in NYC on 9/11 was abnormal for modern, steel framed, skyscrapers. If you cannot, then how is it unreasonable to expect the same for the London fire?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What's your evidence for that extraordinary claim?

My only claim is that you are an obtuse smooth brained idiot. I shall amend that claim to add that you are also obsessed and have poor reading comprehension.

Carpe' Scrotum
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
9/11 was both normal and abnormal.

Normal in that many of the structural members were affected more or less equally by fire at the same time. That would likely cause a pancake collapse as occurred. It was abnormal in that such widespread fire is rare with a fire starting at a single point and moving out from there. That would lead to varying points of strength/weakness most likely causing a collapse to the weak side rather than straight down.

There is no single result that occurs in these situations, there are too many variables. That is why there is more than one type of collapse.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by watch4bear
No sprinkler systems in England? Would not want to be caught in that one.

Ever hear the word grandfathered.... I'm not saying it was, but it could have been prior to sprinkler codes....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

What's your evidence for that extraordinary claim?

My only claim is that you are an obtuse smooth brained idiot. I shall amend that claim to add that you are also obsessed and have poor reading comprehension.

I take it, then, that you cannot support your claim that the NYC events in question were abnormal. Therefore, lacking proof to the contrary, it's reasonable to conclude that they were normal. Therefore, absent proof to the contrary, one should reasonably expect the same to occur in London.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The building was full of Muslim tenants. The fire is supposed to have started on the 4th floor and I'll bet the investigators will find that most of the tenants on the 4th floor were Muslims. Muslims don't mind killing other Muslims as long as they can kill some infidels. No way this was an accident.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,071
Posts18,521,675
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.