Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Its really sad to hear of service men killed by our own idiots. Can you imagine being told your son or brother " was killed by a merchant ship this morning". I know it wouldnt be put that way but thats about what it boils down to. Lots of crushed parents, brothers and sisters in our country tonight.

I'll wait to hear the reason before 'passing judgement'. One of the perks of not being a 'christian'

Just stir the pot for no apparent reason, pick pick pick. Getting called a troll more and more and easy to see why.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Container ship tore up on the port bow, destroyer on the starboard beam. Looks like more of a glancing blow. That's a bit of a head scratcher, I'm going to guess fog until any better details come out.

My first night OOD watch on the boat we did a port to port with a supertanker somewhere in the Atlantic. We were supposed to maintain 1000 yards standoff distance from ANYTHING, let alone something that could squash us like a bug, but I managed to pass well within the prescribed range. I don't recall how close I came exactly, but my recollection is I was looking UP at that thing, which meant WAY too close.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Here's a story that hits home for you. I was the weapons office on my 3rd ship, standing tactical watch down in the combat center. We had about 30 merchant vessels in our proximity, ranging in size from small trawlers to 800 foot big boys with hundreds of cargo boxes stacked up. The Captain took a break from the bridge and went to go to the bathroom. I saw a merchant turning erratically on the radar but of course I was down below and had no visual. I spoke to the conning officer and ask what was going on and what the Captain thought about the guy. They told me the Captain had stepped off the bridge momentarily. I ran up to the bridge, I looked out into the darkness and I immediately ordered the officer of the deck to ring up a full speed bell and turn with a hard rudder. I had no time to explain and they followed my orders. We ended up passing the merchant at a 150 foot closest point of approach. That's swapping spit between 2 large ships. The Captain worked his way back out onto the bridge to see the ship pass his bridge wing close enough to see what brand of cigarettes the Filipino captain of the other ship was smoking. He looked at me and said what the Fugk??? And then he sat down happy that he still had a job.

From the report today, OP, and its apparent from todays news chitt happens, though in this case someone like you were not there.

Still, this chitt aint supposed to happen. Its not like lightening. Its like a piano fell on your kid outside a highrise.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Someone...or several....will be retiring.....SOON!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's a story that hits home for you. I was the weapons office on my 3rd ship, standing tactical watch down in the combat center. We had about 30 merchant vessels in our proximity, ranging in size from small trawlers to 800 foot big boys with hundreds of cargo boxes stacked up. The Captain took a break from the bridge and went to go to the bathroom. I saw a merchant turning erratically on the radar but of course I was down below and had no visual. I spoke to the conning officer and ask what was going on and what the Captain thought about the guy. They told me the Captain had stepped off the bridge momentarily. I ran up to the bridge, I looked out into the darkness and I immediately ordered the officer of the deck to ring up a full speed bell and turn with a hard rudder. I had no time to explain and they followed my orders. We ended up passing the merchant at a 150 foot closest point of approach. That's swapping spit between 2 large ships. The Captain worked his way back out onto the bridge to see the ship pass his bridge wing close enough to see what brand of cigarettes the Filipino captain of the other ship was smoking. He looked at me and said what the Fugk??? And then he sat down happy that he still had a job.

The Captain went to the bathroom? Ships don't have bathrooms, they have heads. What navy were you in?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Youre a sharp man, but, lets dont get too hasty there. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'd think by now we'd have an audible warning of some sort when something of mass sails within a half a mile??????

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Craigster
The Captain went to the bathroom? Ships don't have bathrooms, they have heads. What navy were you in?

LOL, I just figured if I said that some folks here would think he was back in his cabin getting a blow job

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

LOL, I just figured if I said that some folks here would think he was back in his cabin getting a blow job

Yeah, I heard all about sailors and blow jobs when I was in the Corps.

Semper Fi

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I heard all about sailors and blow jobs when I was in the Corps.

LOL

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

and a ship.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

God, Who dost still the restless foam,
Protect the ones we love at home.
Provide that they should always be
By thine own grace both safe and free.
O Father, hear us when we pray
For those we love so far away."

May God watch over and protect the sailors of the US Navy
and those who wait for them so patiently to return to safe harbor.
May He still the roughest seas and calm the most frightened heart.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stevelyn
How do you get hit by a merchant ship?

The Philippine ship is 29,060 tons and is 222 meters (730 feet) long, the coast guard said.

That's how.
Bull... Nothing to do with it... Someone (on both ships) was either lazy or not paying attention - or both.. I'll bet the farm that the skipper of that destroyer will be on some land base washing dishes for the rest of his career..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody consider that this was a adeliberate attack on a USN ship? It seems that the containor ship made a U turn some 25 minutes before the collision....I can't help wondering if the so called religion of peace doesn't figure in this somewhere....

Edited to add, the containor ship was sailing from Nagoya to Tokyo...It seems just over half way through the trip, it makes a sudden U turn and 25 minutes later hits the US ship..It then makes another U turn and carries onto Tokyo....Something seems very suspicious about this....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Its really sad to hear of service men killed by our own idiots. Can you imagine being told your son or brother " was killed by a merchant ship this morning". I know it wouldnt be put that way but thats about what it boils down to. Lots of crushed parents, brothers and sisters in our country tonight.

I'll wait to hear the reason before 'passing judgement'. One of the perks of not being a 'christian'

Im not passing judgement. Im feeling sorry for the close family who are having trouble breating tonight and wondering what went wrong. What a downer you are Steel. Im sorry for the schitt you went through that negatively affected you. May God bless you as your needs be. Thanks and take care, eye.

Why dont you just be honest and tell the Fire what it is about old farts who believe in Jesus Christ that gives you a hardon rather than let Fire members think you're a mental case? Just a thought.

Not passing judgement? So what the f*ck does 'Service men killed by our own idiots" mean exactly.

No, it's not all farts that believe in Jesus, it's your dumb ass. That you think it's all shows you what a victim and piece of sheit you are.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

Just stir the pot for no apparent reason, pick pick pick. Getting called a troll more and more and easy to see why.

He says 'Our service men killed by our own idiots"

You ever been dead ship in the middle of the ocean? Have you have lost steering? Propulsion? Power?

So again, I'll wait till the details come out before I pass judgement on this. That you are too fu*cking stupid is no surprise. Please give the old Christ cock sucker a reach around.

Last edited by Steelhead; 06/17/17.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by stevelyn
How do you get hit by a merchant ship?

The Philippine ship is 29,060 tons and is 222 meters (730 feet) long, the coast guard said.

That's how.
Bull... Nothing to do with it... Someone (on both ships) was either lazy or not paying attention - or both.. I'll bet the farm that the skipper of that destroyer will be on some land base washing dishes for the rest of his career..

Again, you've never been aboard a ship that has lost propulsion? Steering? Power?

Not saying any of that is the case, but the fact that all you idiots are so quick to job is telling. You gals wonder why this country is so [bleep]? Look in the damned mirror.

Sorry you Jackoff eyeball are too old to screw anymore, maybe take up knitting.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The ocean can be a pretty unforgiving place.

Maybe the facts of this collision will be out in the public domain in the future. But Pete E's comment makes me wonder.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Y
Originally Posted by g5m
The ocean can be a pretty unforgiving place.

Maybe the facts of this collision will be out in the public domain in the future. But Pete E's comment makes me wonder.

It should make one wonder indeed.
I'm sitting here reflecting ( and no pun intended) on just what the level of electronic warfare , "jamming" pegs at, in that particular zone
at this moment
.......I have no idea whether common radar efficiency can be trashed,....but would be very surprised if there aren't any myriad of ways that have been tried, or are in testing. I live on the flank of an electronic warfare test range, have for years. Scuttlebutt re: ""cloaking devices," are , and have been just WAY to common for me to dismiss this as unintentional or any sorta' accident.

I also concur that immediately convening a prosecutorial committee / courts martial, seems just a WEE bit bloody premature, religion not having one goddam thing to do with it, in my case.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/17/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

If they were coasties, they would have been having a circle jerk on the deck and could have seen the approaching ship.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 222ND, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,066
Posts18,482,544
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.