Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess that the old gentleman that we purchased the place from 19 years ago used to somehow drag a old hay rake through there once a year! No idea how he hooked it up.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Your other option is to use a track hoe to dig the cattail tubers out of the pond edge but you will need to get all of the roots (tubers) out, or the cattails will back next year. Rodeo and Aqua Star work very but you will likely need to spray more than once, it's hard to get all of the cattails coated on the first pass. Been there, done that.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by duckster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess that the old gentleman that we purchased the place from 19 years ago used to somehow drag a old hay rake through there once a year! No idea how he hooked it up.

After you spray, I'd let things sit for a year, then see what's left. Might save you some hard work.

After I sprayed my pond, the growth pretty much disappeared and there was no need for dragging the moss out. Most cases of dragging moss out of the pond is an effort in futility from what I've seen.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could use a hand wick instead of a sprayer.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Great information....

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What you have going on s the natural life cycle of a pond. Spraying it will buy you a few years. A dragline will buy you more time too. In the end it just starts over and heads towards silting in.

If you have running water coming in and flowing out be very careful which herbicides you use.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You can Round up cat tails and kill them,but they still come back.The only way to keep them ay bay is with a back or track hoe and dig them out by the roots.Copper sulfate will kill pond weeds,but is some highly toxic stuff.You can only apply so much in a ponds life and still be able to eat the fish you have.Ponds are a lot of maintenance.You should have them dragged about every 11 years to get rid of accumulated sediment.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Will dig for fishing rights."

Just sayin. smile

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
No running water in this pond, it is spring fed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spring fed or just subbing in? If it just subs in (i.e. minimal outflow), use a shade chemical like "Aquashade" or "Aquaveil". Those filter the UV light, thus preventing plants to grow under water. Effective on rooted macrophytes, not so much on filamentous algea. These are best when used starting before the first sign of Spring growth, but they are quite effective, and inexpensive.

Some springs throw tons and tons of silt, Others throw tons and tons of minerals. Mine does both. If yours is a spring that throws silt..... better budget for excavation on a regular basis.

Grass carp will help with rooted macrophytes, but really need water temperatures above 70 degrees to work well. Some bottom feeders, like carp, catfish, etc, will increase the turbidity in the pond, also reducing the light that reaches the bottom, thus preventing weed growth. Watch out that you don't introduce something that you can't get rid of! Carp are hugely effective this way, but make sure you only introduce females or males, or there'll be heck to pay. Plus, they are good eating and very sporty.

Instead of using a back hoe or dragline, consider using a suction dredge if you want to just remove silt. It's easier to move the sludge away from the pond with a pump. That way so you don't have all the mud on the bank and avoid that restoration effort.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Huntz
You can Roundup cat tails and kill them, but they still come back.The only way to keep them at bay is with a back or track hoe and dig them out by the roots.Copper sulfate will kill pond weeds,but is some highly toxic stuff.You can only apply so much in a ponds life and still be able to eat the fish you have.Ponds are a lot of maintenance.You should have them dragged about every 11 years to get rid of accumulated sediment.
Roundup will get them but it can take several applications when they come back. However, if there are other cattails in the area, you'll likely be fighting them forever unless you attack all of them. They send out rhizomes for a long distance. In fact, a pond like that might have only a few actual cattail plants that are all interconnected underground.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Roundup is not approved for aquatic use, the EPA might frown on using it in an application that Roundup is not approved for.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dutch
Spring fed or just subbing in? If it just subs in (i.e. minimal outflow), use a shade chemical like "Aquashade" or "Aquaveil". Those filter the UV light, thus preventing plants to grow under water. Effective on rooted macrophytes, not so much on filamentous algea. These are best when used starting before the first sign of Spring growth, but they are quite effective, and inexpensive.

Some springs throw tons and tons of silt, Others throw tons and tons of minerals. Mine does both. If yours is a spring that throws silt..... better budget for excavation on a regular basis.

Grass carp will help with rooted macrophytes, but really need water temperatures above 70 degrees to work well. Some bottom feeders, like carp, catfish, etc, will increase the turbidity in the pond, also reducing the light that reaches the bottom, thus preventing weed growth. Watch out that you don't introduce something that you can't get rid of! Carp are hugely effective this way, but make sure you only introduce females or males, or there'll be heck to pay. Plus, they are good eating and very sporty.

Instead of using a back hoe or dragline, consider using a suction dredge if you want to just remove silt. It's easier to move the sludge away from the pond with a pump. That way so you don't have all the mud on the bank and avoid that restoration effort.

It is clear spring water, I think it just subs in as there are several other running springs in the area. Have not noticed a lot of silt production.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We had a small pond and had the same problems you are showing. I went to Tractor Supply and got Copper Sulfate and read the directions several times before recognizing I did not understand them. So I called the Department of Agriculture and they walked me through the process. You have to know how much water you have in the pond and then use less of the Copper Sulfate than recommended. Start at one end and wait two days. You will see the moss just vanish and then the cattails start to wilt. If necessary repeat in the other end. The process took about one week and the pond was clean. Yes, I had to use a drag rake to get all the dead cattails out and no they did not grow back the next year. Evidently the Copper Sulfate kills to the roots. I had to repeat every three years for the moss but lost very few fish. The one's we did lose were the smallest Blue Gill. No Bass were harmed. Good Luck.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ro1459
We had a small pond and had the same problems you are showing. I went to Tractor Supply and got Copper Sulfate and read the directions several times before recognizing I did not understand them. So I called the Department of Agriculture and they walked me through the process. You have to know how much water you have in the pond and then use less of the Copper Sulfate than recommended. Start at one end and wait two days. You will see the moss just vanish and then the cattails start to wilt. If necessary repeat in the other end. The process took about one week and the pond was clean. Yes, I had to use a drag rake to get all the dead cattails out and no they did not grow back the next year. Evidently the Copper Sulfate kills to the roots. I had to repeat every three years for the moss but lost very few fish. The one's we did lose were the smallest Blue Gill. No Bass were harmed. Good Luck.

Awesome, thanks for that report

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have never seen copper sulfate kill cattails, I have seen it kill fish and filamentous algae, the larger crystals tend to be less problematic .

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/management-options/cattail/

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/management-options/filamentous-algae/

Copper Sulfate or “blue stone” is probably the most commonly used algal treatments because of its availability and low cost. Copper sulfate comes in several forms depending on how finely it is ground. Smaller crystals will dissolve easier than larger crystals. In very hard water it is difficult to use copper sulfate because it binds with the calcium, precipitates out of solution, and renders the copper ineffective as an algaecide.

All copper compounds can be toxic to fish if used above labeled rates and can be toxic in soft or acidic waters even at label rates. Before using copper is it best to test the pond water’s alkalinity and adjust copper treatments to alkalinity concentrations. For additional information on using copper sulfate see the SRAC #410 Calculating Treatments for Ponds and Tanks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Seen copper sulfate used on Lake Fork for ingress/egress to folks' boathouses. Owners just broadcast it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
NeBassman - thanks for those links.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I FRIGGEN LOVE COPPER SULFATE!!!!!

Copper sulfate's toxicity to fish varies with the alkalinity (CA hardness) of the water. One guy will use it at a certain dose per acre and tell all his buddies....all the buddies try this miracle stuff.... and those with shallower ponds or lower hardness then call me to stock their ponds again........

Seriously, we use copper sulfate at the hatcheries to control fungus and bacteria on fish. It can work on weeds, but you dose for volume of water AND ALKALINITY. The effective dose on weeds and the lethal dose on fish are less than 50% apart. In really soft water, they over lap. Do you feel lucky?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Duckster, you ever pause to consider why you're having such prolific vegetation growth in your pond?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.