Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So, we have a small, spring fed pond on the ranch. It has pretty decent numbers of bluegill and large mouth bass. Problem is that we are only out there every couple of weeks and in the last few years we have been getting more and more overgrowth around the pond and moss in the pond itself. Any suggestions for controlling unwanted overgrowth in and around farm ponds?
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glyphosate.

Spray and watch it die.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Do you spray it on both the reeds along shore and on the moss in the water?

I don't want to harm the fish population if I can help it.

Last edited by duckster; 06/19/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you set up ant Wood duck nesting boxes. That looks like prime real estate.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
when we had ours, i just kept it mowed.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
We do have some nesting wood ducks in the area every year. I have not set up actual boxes for them, but that is a great idea. Especially if I can get it cleaned up a bit.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
There is a bit of a steep bank around it except for the far end, too steep to get a mower down in there. Maybe could reach some of it with a sickle mower.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That photo looks exactly like our farm pond and trees, including the same problem you have with cattails and moss. We had several nesting boxes put in and several pairs of ducks.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
A grasscarp or two will clean out the moss.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by duckster

Spray the reeds. It won't do anything to the moss in the water. It's more effective if they're actively growing. Also consider that all that dead vegetation will be a mess.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looks like taking a dragline to it would be the best long term option. Rid the unwanted vegitation and add more overall depth to the pond. Maybe not the cheapest option tho.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A grasscarp or two will clean out the moss.

Yes, be sure to get White Amur's. They will not breed and you will only have what you put in, less any that dies. They will get quite large too. Good eating if the water is good, but they do have "broomtail" bones like a carp and buffalofish. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Spray the entire plant above water. Use an 80/20 surfactant because cattails have waxy leaves, and spray half the pond, leaving the other half until the first area starts dying. Then spray the other half. This allows the pond to adjust oxygen wise and toxicity wise. It shouldn't kill the fish if done that way.

One of my ponds was that way until I sprayed it 3 years ago. Got good coverage and 3 years later... NO cattails. Nothing died either. Not even the frogs. It may kill some moss too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You can kill back the moss in the water too with appropriate herbicide. The trick is to spray a little at a time.If you spray it all the dead rotting vegetation will kill your fish

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Spray the entire plant above water. Use an 80/20 surfactant because cattails have waxy leaves, and spray half the pond, leaving the other half until the first area starts dying. Then spray the other half. This allows the pond to adjust oxygen wise and toxicity wise. It shouldn't kill the fish if done that way.

One of my ponds was that way until I sprayed it 3 years ago. Got good coverage and 3 years later... NO cattails. Nothing died either. Not even the frogs. It may kill some moss too.

I'd never thought about using RoundUp on cat-tails. Never researched it because I just assumed it wouldn't work. Learn something new here everyday. I know it has replaced my weedeater for the most part, much to the griping of my wife who doesn't like my band of dirt around every obstacle in the yard....

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Use an aquatic approved glyphosphate with a recommended surfactant, the amphibians in your pond will thank you and you won't get in trouble for an improper herbicide application.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/rodeo-herbicide-p-1354.html

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/aqua-star-herbicide-p-1820.html

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I'd never thought about using RoundUp on cat-tails. Never researched it because I just assumed it wouldn't work. Learn something new here everyday. I know it has replaced my weedeater for the most part, much to the griping of my wife who doesn't like my band of dirt around every obstacle in the yard....

I guess wildcats think alike. I trim once a year with round up, around many things in my yard. My neighbors are mixing gas and oil, trying to get their string trimmers started. I don't need that,

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bet there's a lot of snakes in that tall grass! eek

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd never thought about using RoundUp on cat-tails. Never researched it because I just assumed it wouldn't work. Learn something new here everyday. I know it has replaced my weedeater for the most part, much to the griping of my wife who doesn't like my band of dirt around every obstacle in the yard...
I also spray around trees. However, we have a couple highly visible ones in the front yard. With those, I put down a little weed fabric covered with bark and add a couple decorative rocks. It keeps certain people happy.

I used to have a problem with cattails plugging up an irrigation ditch. It took several applications but Roundup got rid of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.