Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love living in Wyoming though. I was at the post office and asked the lady what the date was. She says "tag day" lol! A bit later I'm dropping stuff off at the Grand Teton national park foundation, right at 10am, and the guy at the reception station is checking his tags. He checked mine while I was standing there! He was unsuccessful as well, btw.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We did a bit better struck out on one doe tag for mulies, and on special unit buck tag for deer.. One was the wifes and one mine.. We can still pick up general tags for bucks..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
No luck for my group, my nephew had a couple of points going in. Two of us tried for doe/fawn antelope tags in area 32-thought they were a gimmie. Wrong!! The antelope must have taken it on the chin there or we are incredibly unlucky........

Building points, hope for next year. Congrats to all you lucky bastids that got drawn grin grin

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hitler struck out again.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by RNF
My hunting partner and I drew Buck antelope for unit 47. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

That's where we hunt them.

If you see a brown 3/4 ton Chevy with Okie plates stop by and say hi.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by davidlea
No luck for my group, my nephew had a couple of points going in. Two of us tried for doe/fawn antelope tags in area 32-thought they were a gimmie. Wrong!! The antelope must have taken it on the chin there or we are incredibly unlucky........

My coworker had zero points, him and 5 buddies put in for 32. Everyone of them drew buck and doe tags. 6 of the 12 'random' tags went to his group. We hunted there year before last but didn't put in with only 1 point. 4 of us drew buck tags in 46 and 2 of us, bro in law and niece, got doe tags to go with it. Looks like Dad and I will be searching out fishing holes instead of does.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Well I knew my son would get a tag... he had 2 points, and my buddy got a buck tag w/ 0 PPs in the same area, but my nephew & I didn't get doe tags there which sucks.

Had I known when I put in what I know now I'd have put in 4 separate applications for us for 2 doe tags each rather than 2 doe tags each as a party. Oh well live & learn it'll let me focus on getting Samuel a buck and once that's done the bunnies had better look out!!!!!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Got drawn for my third choice in Antelope unit 17. Got a cow tag for Unit 107. So I'll be hunting while I'm working on my perfectly planned 4-8 year preference point plan. Can't wait for the day The Wife tells me we can start looking for a home in WY.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
dazvidlea,

The wife and I got late season any Elk ,Area 64. Struck out on everything else. Maybe have to buy a general deer. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/24/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by memtb
dazvidlea,

The wife and I got late season any Elk ,Area 64. Struck out on everything else. Maybe have to buy a general deer. memtb

Good luck on the Area 64 tag. I hope the antelope herd recovers around where I like to hunt, I appreciate Wyo G&F doing the right thing and keeping the number of tags given out down but it hurts to miss a year.

Golden............
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

It seems to be getting harder to draw.... especially for moose, where the wolves have gotten "out of hand" ! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am 0 for 8!!!
Seems last year and this year I have drawn ZERO tags. The year before that only 1 tag. It is beginning to look like I will have to move out of state in order to draw a WY tag.

This is what happens when graduates from PA and VA run WY's Game and Fish system. No actual or first hand experience, but that piece of paper says they know everything.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bart
0 for 8! Bummer. What tags were you after? Can always get general tags correct?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

This is what happens when graduates from PA and VA run WY's Game and Fish system. No actual or first hand experience, but that piece of paper says they know everything.

2016 was the first time we had been since '11. We only got drawn for does, area 38. All we really saw were bucks, herds of bucks. They would stand around and look at you and follow you as you walked around the ranch. We have been hunting this 5 section ranch, for free, since 2003. Saw some of the biggest bucks last year, that we have ever seen on this ranch.

We stopped at G&F in Cheyenne on the way out of town, asked why no buck tags and only doe tags. The reply we got was, the antelope numbers are down due to winter kill and blood disease. My question was, then why give out so many doe tags? I got the RCA dog look in response to that.

Makes/made no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by Hawk_Driver; 06/27/17.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm building points. My next antelope and mule deer hunts are going to be diy in Wyoming, I just need to do my research!

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
Bart

Antelope and deer

I can get 1 deer tag over the counter

Residents can't build points except for the exotics: moose, sheep, goats, buff... . Another thing that favors the non-resident

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
Bart

Antelope and deer

I can get 1 deer tag over the counter

Residents can't build points except for the exotics: moose, sheep, goats, buff... . Another thing that favors the non-resident

There are so great antelope tags that residents can draw second and third choice each year. The general deer tag is pretty good also.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I live here and pay taxes here and earn less money by doing so. There is no reason that I should have to plan a 400 mile trip, pay the trespass fees and overnight somewhere to bring home an antelope. I have plenty of areas to hunt within 50 miles of me. It is just that WY will not issue tags, because they want the increased revenue from a non resident tag. They also want the non res to pay the trespass fee on private property. As a resident I can visit with the property owner now (had I drawn a tag), develop a friendship with him and not have to pay the fee.

If I'm gonna pay all the fees and plan a hunt within my own state, I my as well go to TX and kill pigs. Pound per dollar per hour it is about the same.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Residents get the majority of the tag quota for all units. Non residents only get a portion of the available quota and that is split between regular and special fee. Non residents can get some resident tags only if they are not all taken in the resident draw first.
Where in Wyoming are you Bart? What units do you normally apply for? Antelope?Deer?Elk?

Last edited by 805; 06/29/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I live here and pay taxes here and earn less money by doing so. There is no reason that I should have to plan a 400 mile trip, pay the trespass fees and overnight somewhere to bring home an antelope. I have plenty of areas to hunt within 50 miles of me. It is just that WY will not issue tags, because they want the increased revenue from a non resident tag. They also want the non res to pay the trespass fee on private property. As a resident I can visit with the property owner now (had I drawn a tag), develop a friendship with him and not have to pay the fee.

If I'm gonna pay all the fees and plan a hunt within my own state, I my as well go to TX and kill pigs. Pound per dollar per hour it is about the same.

If you're going to rant, have your facts straight, as every post you've made on this thread is total bullchit.

First off, as a resident of WY you can get, easily, 2 buck deer permits, at least 4 doe tags, 2 buck pronghorn tags, 4 doe tags, 3 elk tags, 2 lion tags, 1 wolf and 1 bear...

If you aren't hunting Wyoming as a Resident, its by choice, and I don't care where you live, you can find those permits closer than 400 miles.

I've shot at least 2 elk per year (usually 3), at least 2 pronghorn per year (a couple years as many as 6), and deer whenever I want...all on public land or lands enrolled in the HMA program...every one of the 17 years I've lived in Wyoming. I've never paid a single trespass fee, ever.

You're also wrong about the "exotics" and resident preference points...there are NO points for either R or NR hunters for goats and bison. Grizzlies wont have preference points either.

The split for R and NR tags is set by either statute (in the case of sheep, goat and grizzlies) or regulation (the rest of the species). The way its worded is that for example: 75% of the sheep tags will be reserved for R hunters...84% of LQ elk tags will be reserved for residents, etc. The GF is not giving your R tags to NR to increase revenue...that's purely a lie and a fabrication. Pure bullchit.

IMO, you're choosing to whine instead of hunt...count that as a choice and you must be a pretty casual hunter if you're complaining about the hunting and access to licenses as a resident...good grief.

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/29/17.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.