Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Montana, last fall. A long time outdoorsman is attacked by A Grizzly sow ... twice. His spray didn't stop the bear and he received a severe chewing. Glad he survived but he is still healing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQAhKrOOww

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good video, bear spray may not, but keeping his head probably saved his life.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Dude 2 people were killed and eaten last weekend in alaska. One group peppersprayed the bear which did no good. I was hiking all weekend with my kids for fathers day armed only with pepper spray leaving the guns in the car. It wont happen again. Pepper spray is worse than useless providing a false sense of security.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
People buy the cheapie Pepper Spray that won't stop a raccoon. You need the kind that is designed for Bears. Those little can's are useless. Might stop a mugger, but not a Grizzly.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just don't use the unleaded spray. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, a guy needs a big ole good can of bear spray.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow. Great video. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just because a bear can't see doesn't mean he won't kill you.when you piss one off with spray you'd better not be in the way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About half the information about bear spray is propaganda. Just remember, it was various greenie-infested govt agencies that pushed the idea and "tested" bear spray in the field.

That said, just like OC is effective at times on humans and at times not, the same applies to bears. It's not going to be effective in windy conditions. It's not going to be effective if you don't get a good blast applied to the nose and eyes which is inside 20ft. It's going to be disabling to you inside a tent or enclosed space.

If you're going to carry it, you should be carrying a heavy-for-caliber back up plan.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stevelyn

If you're going to carry it, you should be carrying a heavy-for-caliber back up plan.
Why wait to see if some spray's gonna work when that bear's well within 20 feet and charging like a bull?? Not I.. I'll draw the Alaskan .454C first...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Why wait to see if some spray's gonna work when that bear's well within 20 feet and charging like a bull?? Not I.. I'll draw the Alaskan .454C first...

My point exactly.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have quite a few black bears in and around our property in PA. When my wife goes out for a run, I always worry, but at least she listened (finally) and totes her 380 as well as bear spray. We're headed up there for a week next week, I'm thinking I'm going to "fly wing" on her....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
We have quite a few black bears in and around our property in PA. When my wife goes out for a run, I always worry, but at least she listened (finally) and totes her 380 as well as bear spray. We're headed up there for a week next week, I'm thinking I'm going to "fly wing" on her....

You'd better! She's too fine of a lady to end up dancing with a black bear!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
smile I will quote you as a reference!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ironbender

LOL

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think that what happens in a lot of these cases, is that the spray they are carrying is over three years old. That stuff expires. I had a long discussion about that with a neurosurgeon that I met in Cody, Wyoming. Those cans should have a expiration date on them. He said that the oil in the spray breaks down and becomes ineffective.

Another problem, is that people use it incorrectly. Many times, the spray is too high and goes over the bear. The instructions say start at the ground and go up in a "Z" pattern. I would like to see how many of the "failures" could actually be attributed to these factors.

Last edited by sbhooper; 06/23/17.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grizzly bear-----spray. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
jorge, You better up the calibre for her. Unless she gets one in the eyball, that .380 won't even give it a headache.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Concur, but that and the bear spray is enough of an issue (I hate to tell you where she carries the pistol) so, I will probably just have to either run with her or trail her on a mountain bike...or better yet our Polaris, that way I can bring a cigar, my 657 S&W and a beverage smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.